★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Cling! $0.99 => FREE

03-15-2013, 06:35 AM
Cling! $0.99 => FREE

ON SALE - THIS WEEKEND ONLY!!!

To celebrate Cling's launch and some fantastic reviews and support from our Fans, we're having a sale!!! Enjoy and get it now, while you can!

"I think that this is, quite possibly, one of the most unique mobile device games Iíve played." - PopCults.com

"..this game is a wonderfully complete touchscreen gem." - 148apps.com

"the game is an absolute joy to play and it reminds me of why I fell in love with App Store platform games in the first place." - DenOfGeek.com

03-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
ha!...

well there ya go.

The dev has submitted an update fixing the shake to change control mechanic. Once that goes live - this one should be a blast to play

03-15-2013, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
ha!...

well there ya go.

The dev has submitted an update fixing the shake to change control mechanic. Once that goes live - this one should be a blast to play
Cool.

How do the controls work, like Tentacles? Can I play this game without looking at my ipad (mean for hdmi tv)?
03-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Heard good things about the game. Bought while on sale. Haven't tried it yet, but seems to be getting a lot of good comments in the official thread.
03-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Cool.

How do the controls work, like Tentacles? Can I play this game without looking at my ipad (mean for hdmi tv)?
Hi Connector!

While our game has an octopus/spider/squid-like-thing, similar to Tentacles, our movement control is a bit different. Instead of tapping to control each individual arm where you want it to grab, you are more controlling the direction that our character, Edgar, is going to travel. He still grabs things to move around, but they're more like background objects that he uses to hold on to instead of walls that he has to navigate around.

Not sure if I'm giving a great description, as (at least we feel) it's kind of unique. You can check out our trailer and see if that helps explain things though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imz1668GRmw

As far as whether you could play it without looking at your iPad, I'm going to say that it would be rather difficult to do. I haven't tried it myself, but some of the levels you will need to be rather exact in your movements, and I feel it would be necessary to know where your finger is on the screen.

Let me know if you have any other questions or need me to better explain that movement model. Thanks for your interest!
03-15-2013, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
You are directing your character's movement, but it only works when s/he has something to grab onto (and of course letting go of the screen to let go in-game.)

You could probably play with joystick mode on, especially if you use a fling or something to let you know where joystick center is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
03-15-2013, 07:47 PM
One of the best games released recently, its like Tentacles, but at the same time its a game of its own, and keeps getting more interesting as you get deeper into it. Really recommended.
03-15-2013, 08:20 PM
First5games, drelbs, thefrost...

Thanks, okay will break my not buying any games this week except for icade core hdmi tv games, and will take a chance on this.

First5games, maybe stupid question, but any chance for icade joystick support?

Anyway, I will buy and play it, looks like fun, thanks.
03-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Thanks for picking up the game, Connector! We sure hope you enjoy it.

As far as the iCade goes we are unfortunately unable to support it. We used the Corona SDK to build the game, and there is no bluetooth or iCade support built in.

Even if it were though, from what I understand the iCade joystick maps to the WASD keys like it were a bluetooth keyboard. Cling! really needs analog input for it to play correctly, as Edgar can move 360 degrees in any direction and do so with varying degrees of speed. Since the levels weren't designed for a D-Pad style control, I'd have to imagine that you would find many of them either impossible or at the least frustrating to play with the joystick.

Regardless, I'm sure that if you enjoy old school arcade games, you'll get a kick out of Cling!.
Let us know what you think when you get a chance to play it!

Last edited by First5Games; 03-15-2013 at 09:00 PM.
03-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by First5Games View Post
ON SALE - THIS WEEKEND ONLY!!!
Looks like it's on sale again.