★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

PANGOLIN (JIG Mobile Arcade GOTY) 40 Levels $0.99 -> FREE! Thursday!

03-19-2013, 10:41 AM
PANGOLIN (JIG Mobile Arcade GOTY) 40 Levels $0.99 -> FREE! Thursday!

---

This Thursday, Pangolin for iPhone (JayIsGames Mobile Arcade Game of 2012) drops the price of the Exploration world from $0.99 to free! It features 40 levels packed with: moving rooms and platforms, spikes that roll and bounce, and portals that’ll transport you from place to place.

---

---

Be sure to grab it while you can!

---

• PANGOLIN • [a curious game of bouncing]

More information here:
http://feedtank.com/pangolin
03-20-2013, 02:36 PM
For those unfamiliar, here is Pangolin's trailer:

ALSO, we're currently giving away promocodes for Pangolin HD here:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=182770

Grab one before they run out!

More information here:

Last edited by feedtank; 03-20-2013 at 02:47 PM.

03-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Interesting, this is one of the few free IAP deals I've seen. I guess I'll re-download the game and grab the levels. Thanks.
03-20-2013, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post
Interesting, this is one of the few free IAP deals I've seen. I guess I'll re-download the game and grab the levels. Thanks.
We made it so that we can set the in-app purchase to free temporarily. You shouldn't need to re-download the app. If you haven't purchased the world, and your WIFI is on or 3G is connected, you should be able to get it for free tomorrow.

More information here:
03-21-2013, 07:13 PM
This sweet physics game is worth your time, if it passed you by. Really nice graphics—everything is done in a friendly, pastel-coloured, "hand-drawn" style that reminds me of Tiny Wings. Sound is lovely too. The gameplay itself is surprisingly challenging, if you're trying to collect the gems and coins that are placed about each level. You'll be restarting each level many, many times, so it's just as well there's a neat "swipe screen to instantly restart" feature. (I should say that the game never feels unfair or arbitrary to me in the way that, for example, Angry Birds often feels unfair and abitrary to me, so those multiple restarts don't at any point become tiresome. It always feels like you have ultimate control over the pangolin, even if you've just failed to grab the third gem for the twentieth time in a row, so you never enter that Angry Birds Zone of Existential Meaninglessness.)

If it's not clear from the dev's original post: the base iPhone app, with 10 introductory levels, is always free; then there's a 99c IAP to unlock the main game—the 40-level "Exploration" world. Except right now, temporarily, you can unlock that world for free.

The base iPad app, on the other hand, is *not* free, but comes with those 40 levels already unlocked. Over in the Promos forum, however, the dev is currently giving away codes for the iPad app; I think there's still three left.

Last edited by Happy W; 03-21-2013 at 07:27 PM.
03-21-2013, 09:28 PM
Might give this a try, thanks meow!
03-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Does the second chapter stay unlocked? The first set is really just the tutorial.
03-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy W View Post
(I should say that the game never feels unfair or arbitrary to me in the way that, for example, Angry Birds often feels unfair and abitrary to me, so those multiple restarts don't at any point become tiresome. It always feels like you have ultimate control over the pangolin, even if you've just failed to grab the third gem for the twentieth time in a row, so you never enter that Angry Birds Zone of Existential Meaninglessness.)
Thanks so much for this great description. I'm extremely happy to hear that the physics doesn't feel arbitrary and that you always feel like you have control (or at least the confidence that your actions are always tightly coupled to the outcome). The game's control was one of our biggest concerns.

The description of this control is also something we've been frustrated about in a few of our reviews. We've had two reviewers independently describe the interaction and control as imprecise. I think it's actually exactly the opposite. If anything it's too precise. A more accurate critical description is "finicky" (requiring great attention to detail). A very small change in finger placement can dramatically change your bounce. The entire game is based around controlling Pangolin, and that is an extremely skill-based undertaking. At the same time, it's not an easy interaction and can definitely be frustrating when starting out. It's not going to be for everyone.

Also, 100% about restarts. If you play this game a lot you're going to restart. You're going to restart a lot. It's an essential part of the game and we did our best to make it as quick and easy as possible to do so (swipe .

Anyway, thanks again!

While the promotion for the Exploration World is over, the iPhone's download and first 10 levels are still free to try.

More information here:
03-22-2013, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedtank View Post
Thanks so much for this great description. I'm extremely happy to hear that the physics doesn't feel arbitrary and that you always feel like you have control (or at least the confidence that your actions are always tightly coupled to the outcome). The game's control was one of our biggest concerns.

The description of this control is also something we've been frustrated about in a few of our reviews. We've had two reviewers independently describe the interaction and control as imprecise. I think it's actually exactly the opposite. If anything it's too precise. A more accurate critical description is "finicky" (requiring great attention to detail). A very small change in finger placement can dramatically change your bounce. The entire game is based around controlling Pangolin, and that is an extremely skill-based undertaking. At the same time, it's not an easy interaction and can definitely be frustrating when starting out. It's not going to be for everyone.

Also, 100% about restarts. If you play this game a lot you're going to restart. You're going to restart a lot. It's an essential part of the game and we did our best to make it as quick and easy as possible to do so (swipe .

Anyway, thanks again!

While the promotion for the Exploration World is over, the iPhone's download and first 10 levels are still free to try.
So...the levels are gone then?
03-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
So...the levels are gone then?
The 40 levels of the Exploration world are no longer free. The promotion was Thursday only. The game itself and the first 10 levels are free to try, as always.

More information here: