★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Rotor Episode 1 -> free

03-19-2013, 09:34 PM
Rotor Episode 1 -> free

It's a SHMUP, not groundbreaking by any means, but competent. I tried the lite version.

C: :###
If you want to friend me on GC,tell me you're from TA and include your screen name.
GC: DON'TSHOOT!
03-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Looks pretty interesting. Thanks for the info.

03-20-2013, 12:32 AM
Looks like a nice game but needs relative touch controls. I'm not used to playing a shmup where your ship is always under your finger so I couldn't play this for more than 10 minutes to give a good impression.
03-20-2013, 05:15 AM
Some improvements would make this more enjoyable, but what's here is definitely worth a look.
03-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kioshi View Post
Looks like a nice game but needs relative touch controls. I'm not used to playing a shmup where your ship is always under your finger so I couldn't play this for more than 10 minutes to give a good impression.
I played this through the first level and into the second, you don't put your finger on the ship but rather just behind it. I had no problem seeing the ship. Also an alternative is tap to move. Just tap where you want the ship to go and it'll go there... and pretty quickly too.

This isn't a typical shmup where there are thousands of enemies that pop in and you shoot them down in one shot. It's more like a melding between a traditional space shooter and a scrolling shmup. Enemies have shields and the ships will come in and shoot from a distance and so on and just do stuff that seems really basic at first but in the long run sort of seems like something more from some big space battle game than what it compares itself to.

Level 1 was fairly easy for me to get through. I think I died once. Level 2 though kicked my rear. The enemies are bigger and have more shields are more like mini-bosses than typical cannon fodder. I didn't even use the secondary weapon... but just watched the instructions and now see how to do that. Maybe that'll make level 2 easier.

I'm all for relative touch controls, this game has behind the ship control as well as tap location type controls... so it's the next best thing. Give it a try, I think the depth of the battles may actually surprise some of y'all. I wish it had some GC achievements or something, but even with out them I'm going to attempt to finish it off since it is supposed to be 6 levels.

Last edited by nightc1; 03-20-2013 at 09:03 AM.
03-20-2013, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post
I played this through the first level and into the second, you don't put your finger on the ship but rather just behind it. I had no problem seeing the ship. Also an alternative is tap to move. Just tap where you want the ship to go and it'll go there... and pretty quickly too.

This isn't a typical shmup where there are thousands of enemies that pop in and you shoot them down in one shot. It's more like a melding between a traditional space shooter and a scrolling shmup. Enemies have shields and the ships will come in and shoot from a distance and so on and just do stuff that seems really basic at first but in the long run sort of seems like something more from some big space battle game than what it compares itself to.

Level 1 was fairly easy for me to get through. I think I died once. Level 2 though kicked my rear. The enemies are bigger and have more shields are more like mini-bosses than typical cannon fodder. I didn't even use the secondary weapon... but just watched the instructions and now see how to do that. Maybe that'll make level 2 easier.

I'm all for relative touch controls, this game has behind the ship control as well as tap location type controls... so it's the next best thing. Give it a try, I think the depth of the battles may actually surprise some of y'all. I wish it had some GC achievements or something, but even with out them I'm going to attempt to finish it off since it is supposed to be 6 levels.
Yeah, Ikaruga this isn't. This is the type of shooter I played before the Japanese tried to conquer America through induced seizures .
03-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
Yeah, Ikaruga this isn't. This is the type of shooter I played before the Japanese tried to conquer America through induced seizures .
Ha! Yeah, those bullet hell shooters do a number on the ole brain. It's funny you bring up Ikaruga though... that's one of the few shooters that has a reward for playing without shooting anything (dot eater). Man that was a fun game. I ended up getting it on GC because the Dreamcast version was too pricy for me to import.
03-20-2013, 04:10 PM
I thought it was eventually released in the US on the Dreamcast? Well, I think I picked it up on Xbox360 Arcade.

If you want to friend me on GC,tell me you're from TA and include your screen name.
03-20-2013, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
I thought it was eventually released in the US on the Dreamcast? Well, I think I picked it up on Xbox360 Arcade.
Nope. I was really diehard into the DC through the end of it's life and the 7 or so years that followed. There were a lot of great games there at the end that ended up JP and/or EU only.

Back to Rotor, I think folks need to check this game out. It's refreshingly different... and I like the art style.
03-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Yeah, I remember SHMUP/s coming out on the DC years after it had been discontinued.