★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Scribball now $.99!

12-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Scribball now $.99!

Have yet to get this game, wonder if anyone thinks it is worth it at $.99?
12-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Looks too simple tbh :P

12-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Fun!

It is simple, but it's also lots of fun. The dev also has an update that is already waiting to be approved by apple that adds bombs, locked balls, wildcards and other such things that I'm really looking forward to. It's worth 0.99 for sure.
12-05-2008, 03:01 PM
it's a very well made game. It could use that update that's coming though. The game never seems to end as it i now. It'll be great once the update is approved.

GameCenter: NotYou_ver1.0
12-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Hi everyone!
We got a a little bit by Apple's review process. The price drop was supposed to take effect when the new release came out, but instead it was a few days early, when we submitted the app for review.

Anyway, you'll be happy to hear the update is now available and the special balls we included really adds a lot to the gameplay. Everyone who's tried it so far has really enjoyed it so, I'd encourage you to give it a try.

I'd also be happy to hear any comments or suggestions!

There's more information and a video here:
http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/iPhoneScribBall.shtml
12-09-2008, 10:54 AM
nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKorth View Post
Hi everyone!
We got a a little bit by Apple's review process. The price drop was supposed to take effect when the new release came out, but instead it was a few days early, when we submitted the app for review.

Anyway, you'll be happy to hear the update is now available and the special balls we included really adds a lot to the gameplay. Everyone who's tried it so far has really enjoyed it so, I'd encourage you to give it a try.

I'd also be happy to hear any comments or suggestions!

There's more information and a video here:
http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/iPhoneScribBall.shtml
WOW i haven't heard of this game until now! I think i'll definitely be checking this out (i'm at work now)... Great site and I like how the video starts playing right away... Very interesting concept and fun graphics

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
12-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegmans View Post
WOW i haven't heard of this game until now! I think i'll definitely be checking this out (i'm at work now)... Great site and I like how the video starts playing right away... Very interesting concept and fun graphics
Thanks! It's a fairly simple game on the surface, but we've put a fair amount of work into it. Especially so if you count the hundreds of hours I've put into developing my open source physics library http://code.google.com/p/chipmunk-physics/. As far as our graphic style, neither of us are artists and we figured that a consistent style was most important. The hand drawn look was something that we knew we could do consistently and I think it turned out really nice.

With the latest version, which I think is available now. Beyond adding most of the special ball types from the desktop version, I also optimized the game more. This allowed me to increase the physics quality some and beef up the particle effects more and still have a smaller CPU and less power consumption!

Hope you enjoy it!

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software (blog)
Author of CrayonBall and the popular Chipmunk Physics Library
Check out our new game Twilight Golf! Physics puzzles and dynamic shadows!
12-09-2008, 02:05 PM
The update made the game a lot better. I still wish it was little faster or that there were different modes. The game seems to go on for a long time no matter what. It's definitely worth getting though. It's a pretty clever game.

12-09-2008, 02:27 PM
I guess it depends on how you play it. I'm pretty aggressive and go for the large combos. That tends to make games last only a couple minutes. I've seen a few people that like to play mostly using the accelerometer as well. Not something we had originally expected. That would certainly make a game last a lot longer. What changes would you suggest given the way that you play the game? We could make the bar at the bottom of the screen accelerate faster maybe, but that isn't a very fun change.

Speaking of long play times, I also added a save on quit feature. People rightly grumbled at our lack of saving. Initially we figured that nobody would care given what we thought were relatively short play times. I'm sure that will make a lot of people happy as well.

We have a couple of ideas that we want to try out for extra game modes as well, but first we need to do some code cleanup first so that it's actually possible to add them. Don't worry, 1.1 won't be the last ScribBall update.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software (blog)
Author of CrayonBall and the popular Chipmunk Physics Library
Check out our new game Twilight Golf! Physics puzzles and dynamic shadows!
12-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slembcke View Post
I guess it depends on how you play it. I'm pretty aggressive and go for the large combos. That tends to make games last only a couple minutes. I've seen a few people that like to play mostly using the accelerometer as well. Not something we had originally expected. That would certainly make a game last a lot longer. What changes would you suggest given the way that you play the game? We could make the bar at the bottom of the screen accelerate faster maybe, but that isn't a very fun change.

Speaking of long play times, I also added a save on quit feature. People rightly grumbled at our lack of saving. Initially we figured that nobody would care given what we thought were relatively short play times. I'm sure that will make a lot of people happy as well.

We have a couple of ideas that we want to try out for extra game modes as well, but first we need to do some code cleanup first so that it's actually possible to add them. Don't worry, 1.1 won't be the last ScribBall update.
The save on quitting feature is very welcome!

Speeding the bar up would make the game more fun if it was added as a new difficulty level.

An option to change the gravity could be fun as well. It'd be interesting to turn it up so balls seem heavier. That would especially make accelerometer use more interesting. Again, it might work as an extra game mode or option.

Do you have any other games planned? I usually don't like match 3 or 4 games, but this is definitely a great take on it!

BTW, since you asked, I tend to play this less aggressively to get a higher score.