★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Tecmo Koei Sale

04-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Tecmo Koei Sale

I remember Romance of 3 Kingdoms from the SNES. So are these worth picking up?

Romance of the Three Kingdoms Touch 13.99>6.99
Romance of the Three Kingdoms Touch Plus 17.99>8.99
Romance of the Three Kingdoms Touch Plus for iPad 20.99>10.99
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2 14.99>7.99
Nobunaga's Ambition 13.99>6.99

04-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Doubt it. Koei doesn't invest much time and resources into their ios offerings. And there is no lite version for anyvof them, despite being reasonably expensive. Most improtant to ME, I have no idea which ROTK they are based on...3? 6? 10? There have been very large gameplay changes throughout the years (though not from sequel to sequel).

04-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Nobunaga's is the only one of those I played, and I did not regret picking it up. Seemed just as I remembered (so almost certainly better than) the version I played on the Amiga. Might seriously consider picking up one of the RotTK now, but which one?..
04-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
Doubt it. Koei doesn't invest much time and resources into their ios offerings. And there is no lite version for anyvof them, despite being reasonably expensive. Most improtant to ME, I have no idea which ROTK they are based on...3? 6? 10? There have been very large gameplay changes throughout the years (though not from sequel to sequel).
You are so right that Koei more or less ignores its iOS market. These games have been out for so long, but are still unavailable in my App Store. How to sell when seller refuses to sell?
04-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Nobunaga's is the only one of those I played, and I did not regret picking it up. Seemed just as I remembered (so almost certainly better than) the version I played on the Amiga. Might seriously consider picking up one of the RotTK now, but which one?..
Goddamit now I'm thinking of buying one. Well, it depends if you intend to play on an iphone/ipod or an ipad. I would say get the ipad version if you intend to play on one (and frankly I can't imagine playing a koei strategy game on an iphone). Nobunaga, if it was based on the original, is an old koei game (as noted by your Amiga comment).

The plus version would be the way to go if you intend to get the touch version, becuase it includes what are otherwise iaps. They have the graphic style of ROTK 6+...I don't know if they are more dynasty/relationship oriented like the newer ones, or kingdom oriented like 1-4. Hell, I don't even know what number they are up to now...last I checked about 5 or so years ago I think they had released ROTK 11.

Last edited by Greyskull; 04-02-2013 at 12:22 AM. Reason: typo
04-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Ok, I didn't see 2. If ROTK 2 is a port of the original TOTK 2, that might be the one for you Gabrien, as it should be the closest in gameplay to Nobunaga. They should have ported 3 though, that's widely considered to be a pinnacle in the series.
04-01-2013, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
Ok, I didn't see 2. If ROTK 2 is a port of the original TOTK 2, that might be the one for you Gabrien, as it should be the closest in gameplay to Nobunaga. They should have ported 3 though, that's widely considered to be a pinnacle in the series.
Thing is, I actually played both RotTK and Nobunaga's on the Amiga, and probably enjoyed RotTK more. As far as I recall, it had more scope, being based more around storylines and diplomacy, whereas Nobunaga's was more focused on battling. I never did keep up with the series though, so really these games still mainly hold a nostalgic appeal for me.

Was mainly leaning to the iPad version as well, mainly due it being an iPad version...yes.
04-02-2013, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Thing is, I actually played both RotTK and Nobunaga's on the Amiga, and probably enjoyed RotTK more. As far as I recall, it had more scope, being based more around storylines and diplomacy, whereas Nobunaga's was more focused on battling. I never did keep up with the series though, so really these games still mainly hold a nostalgic appeal for me.

Was mainly leaning to the iPad version as well, mainly due it being an iPad version...yes.
You are correct...the ROTK series, due to the time period being covered by the most read novel in Asia, has a lot more diplomacy and really emphasizes officers and alliances over battles. The degree of control in the battles has varied over the years. I also played the original Nobunaga (along with ROTK 1,3,6, and 10); it is much more battle intensive. Now, in the west, we haven't seen many sequels in the Nobunaga series; many have been made for sale in Japan and I'm sure the gameplay has changed over the years. But I too prefer ROTK. You might want to look for an old World War 2 PC game by Koei. I forget the name, but it features the Koei officer system as well. Every turn, you have to present war plans to your war council; you have a vote, but you might not necessarily win. Therefore you might end up with objectives that, while you have to complete, aren't the optimal way to proceed in the next phase of the war. You can influence other cabinet members in various ways...it's a very different, but interesting strategy game.

C: :###
If you want to friend me on GC,tell me you're from TA and include your screen name.
GC: DON'TSHOOT!
04-02-2013, 12:32 AM
I just wish Koei would update their games from time to time...there are millions of ROTK/Dynasty Warriors fanatics; they could be minting money with some decent releases, support, and demos. Though I think there might have once been a demo, I swear I played the original ROTK Touch, and I don't think I bought it.

C: :###
If you want to friend me on GC,tell me you're from TA and include your screen name.
GC: DON'TSHOOT!
04-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Thanks Greyskull and Gabrien. Your conversation has been informative on this series, especially since I only played one iteration of the series many years ago.

Now to have a lengthy debate with my wallet about these apps.