★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Reeder for iPad, $4.99 --> FREE!

04-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Reeder for iPad, $4.99 --> FREE!

Those of you missing Google's RSS feed might be interested to know that Reeder for iPad is going to continue to deliver RSS feeds through an alternate source, and has temporarily gone free to pick up new fans.
04-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Awesome freebie, thanks!

04-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Wonder what's happening when Google Reader is discontinued (yes, Google is getting rid of their RSS service). Sould rather have a good, standalone rss client than a front-end for a service going extinct. Don't know why most rss apps relied on Google...live by the sword, die by the sword. I've always dl'ed my rss feeds either to my browser or to a software client.

C: :###
If you want to friend me on GC,tell me you're from TA and include your screen name.
GC: DON'TSHOOT!
04-01-2013, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
Wonder what's happening when Google Reader is discontinued (yes, Google is getting rid of their RSS service). Sould rather have a good, standalone rss client than a front-end for a service going extinct. Don't know why most rss apps relied on Google...live by the sword, die by the sword. I've always dl'ed my rss feeds either to my browser or to a software client.
http://reederapp.com/reader/
04-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Well some of us like having all our feeds instantly available on any computer (like work, study, girlfriend etc) and google provided an excellent API for that. Plus nobody expected them to kill GReader.

If you read the op, Reeder will arrange for an alternate way to sync feeds, and I suppose they went free because Feedly announced it as soon as Google said it'd be killing reader and a ton of people has moved to Feedly which has web, iOS and Android apps.
04-01-2013, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kioshi View Post
Well some of us like having all our feeds instantly available on any computer (like work, study, girlfriend etc) and google provided an excellent API for that. Plus nobody expected them to kill GReader.

If you read the op, Reeder will arrange for an alternate way to sync feeds, and I suppose they went free because Feedly announced it as soon as Google said it'd be killing reader and a ton of people has moved to Feedly which has web, iOS and Android apps.
Well, I won't say I expected it, but I never count on any free "cloud" service remaining available indefinitely. Besides, a decent email client can store feeds and sync over multiple devices.

C: :###
If you want to friend me on GC,tell me you're from TA and include your screen name.
GC: DON'TSHOOT!
04-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Well, I won't say I expected it, but I never count on any free "cloud" service remaining available indefinitely. Besides, a decent email client can store feeds and sync over multiple devices.
Not really, google reader is what I use when I wanna read my feeds on my work computer (which I can't install anything nor do I want them to stay in the company's mail client) or when I want to read them on my gf's laptop, just like using gmail and stuff.

And how am I gonna sync my feeds with my iPad and iPhone flawlessly?

The reason Feedly got so many GReaders orphans (well soon to be orphans) recently is that it has good mobile apps that facilitate reading articles even on a tiny phone screen. Websites like The Old Reader, which gets your GReader feeds and already stores them, didn't get the rate of adoption that Feedly got because it doesn't have mobile apps.

Reeder has Mac, iPhone and iPad clients so it stands a chance when it starts syncing without GReader (although it lacks a web interface for using with windows machines afaik, sometimes I have to use them, Feedly at least has browser extensions).

GameCenter: *kioshi*
Gameloft: kioshi
04-02-2013, 12:30 AM
Can't beat a good reader, cheers
04-02-2013, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kioshi View Post

After trying out a few different alternatives to Google Reader, I am really enjoying Feedly.

But yes, this app, and any other that's just a shell for Google Reader will be useless come July unless they change API's or come up with their own syncing system.

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
04-02-2013, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
After trying out a few different alternatives to Google Reader, I am really enjoying Feedly.

But yes, this app, and any other that's just a shell for Google Reader will be useless come July unless they change API's or come up with their own syncing system.
Pretty much the same here. Feedly is proving to be quite a good reader! Not as a good as Feeddler though (function>design)

Noise brings so many things, make my tingling skin freeze.
Follow a Panda bear and make Twitter a better place!