★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Polaris-Block Falling Puzzle Game

07-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Polaris-Block Falling Puzzle Game

Price $0.99/59p

Polaris is a new block-falling puzzle game unlike any puzzle game you have played before! Form rings of colored tiles, deactivate all tiles, and see the rings collapse into the polar star in a brilliant display of stellar fireworks.

Polaris requires quick thinking and great hand-eye coordination. With the right strategy you can clear up to five rings at once and set off long chain reactions for high scores!

Features include:
- 3 gameplay modes and 2 difficulty levels
- Slide, rotate and push blocks with innovative multi-touch controls
- See your statistics and high score
- Listen to your own iTunes® library while you play

Polaris is available exclusively for your iPhone™ and iPod® touch. Play anytime, anywhere!

Last edited by THE STUD; 07-10-2009 at 10:31 AM.
07-10-2009, 12:44 PM
TOFTTed

PROS

- awesome graphics
- good animations and effects
- interesting gameplay
- game modes
- good music and sounds
- good interface
- in-game tutorial
- local high score
- colorblind aware (shapes instead colors)

CONS

- it can't resume
- no online high score
- only one landscape orientation supported (volume up)

It's an interesting game with a well balanced production but the lack of resume is a major flaw. 2/5.

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8

Last edited by Carlos-Sz; 07-10-2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: colorblind info

07-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Nice Carlos...I still don't understand why autosave/autoresume isn't included with so many games. I'm not a dev, but it should be obvious if you're developing for a mobile device.
07-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
Nice Carlos...I still don't understand why autosave/autoresume isn't included with so many games. I'm not a dev, but it should be obvious if you're developing for a mobile device.
It's probably because it takes time to code the resume procedure and the developer wants to release the game as soon as possible.

However, an incomplete release may ruin a great game because I have an impression, after some months of iPhone gaming, that a second release has even less audience.

07-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Well, you only have once to make a first impression.
07-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
Well, you only have once to make a first impression.
So true. A call just ruined my bid for 35 in Sea Captain's last daylight map.

Also, a lack of online leaderboards for ANY arcade game is baffling. Tatomic lost a star for that alone.

This does look good and I may pick it up. Hopefully the dev will add those crucial features.

Gravity is my game :: Top Slingshot Player and working to get my #1 spot in Orbital back...
07-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM imagery View Post
So true. A call just ruined my bid for 35 in Sea Captain's last daylight map.

Also, a lack of online leaderboards for ANY arcade game is baffling. Tatomic lost a star for that alone.

This does look good and I may pick it up. Hopefully the dev will add those crucial features.
Whew, thank God nobody tried to put a phone in my ipod touch!

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
07-10-2009, 02:55 PM
I forgot to mention that the game is colorblind aware (shapes instead colors). A really good feature.

07-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos-Sz View Post
It's probably because it takes time to code the resume procedure and the developer wants to release the game as soon as possible.
State saving is fully supported in the SDK, and doesn't take that much to invoke. More likely is that there are developers who code using the iPod Touch as their target device, so there are certain things -- such as interruption by phone call, or specifically using application volume instead of the default volume control (which defaults to ringer volume on the iPhone, which is not something you want to play with to adjust an app's volume) that don't apply to the Touch, so some developers don't really think about it.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
07-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
State saving is fully supported in the SDK, and doesn't take that much to invoke. More likely is that there are developers who code using the iPod Touch as their target device, so there are certain things -- such as interruption by phone call, or specifically using application volume instead of the default volume control (which defaults to ringer volume on the iPhone, which is not something you want to play with to adjust an app's volume) that don't apply to the Touch, so some developers don't really think about it.
Well, that's a big mistake. Especially considering the amount of iPhones in use. Plus the fact that over 1 million 3G S's were just sold...those devs are very short sighted.

I do put my 3G in airplane mode a lot - but games shouldn't be lost because of an interruption...

Gravity is my game :: Top Slingshot Player and working to get my #1 spot in Orbital back...