Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-03-2013, 06:07 AM

Default Dream Chaser - (by Chillingo Ltd)[Universal]

Last edited by Sanuku; 04-04-2013 at 08:20 AM..
Old 04-03-2013, 07:02 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I have high hopes for this one! Instabuy for me!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:08 AM
iPad Air 2, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
I have high hopes for this one! Instabuy for me!
Looking forward to your impressions! I'm on the fence about this one.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:11 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Yeah,this should be good...
Old 04-03-2013, 07:13 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Landscape mode + tilting ? I'm not a huge fan of this. Also I'm not impressed by the graphics so I think I'll pass.

Last edited by sink_or_swim; 04-03-2013 at 04:50 PM..
Old 04-03-2013, 07:18 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

So this is the game that used to be called Dream Runner, right? Wasn't expecting it to get released today, so this is a nice surprise!

Waiting to see what you think, E-P.

Last edited by Jazzpha; 04-03-2013 at 07:29 AM..
Old 04-03-2013, 07:26 AM
Banned
iPhone 5

Looks good but I will wait for E-P impressions to before buying.

Oh, and... Chillingo + Endless Runner + Lots of IAP = ? :P

Last edited by TheFrost; 04-03-2013 at 10:19 AM..
Old 04-03-2013, 04:48 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Controls: Tilt to move left and right. Tap anywhere on right side of the screen to jump. Tap this button on the left to boost. No Customizattion whatsoever, which was problematic for me. I've been used to putting all my jump buttons on the left, and actions on the right. Tilt, without a sensitivity options, feels a little clunky.

Visuals: The art style is nice, but there are things that arent helping in this department.

The draw distance is close that you can see the backgrounds appear part by part as you run which breaks the game atmosphere to much. Maybe some blurring, or smoke, or dust or whatever effect can hide that a bit. My expectation (as the title suggested) was that the experience was supposed to be atmospheric and feel like a dream but it was far from it.

Some obstacles arent well executed, especially the pitfalls right after slopes, the slopes looked like the pitfalls themselves it has caught me off more than a few times which made it a little frustrating.

Sounds: Cant say much on this as nothing was really standing out on the audio part, and something else always had my attention.

Gameplay:

There are 2 modes of play, Story and Endless.

Endless is different in this one that it's different from the usual runners which was supposedly nice, but... There is a timer bar that constantly drops, and your only chance to keep going is to pas through waypoints/checkpoints that reset the timer. Remind you of anything? Outrun. Just that this wasnt a racing game, so it wasnt really a new feature as Outrun was kinda like a runner too, or if you juxtapose the idea, the character in Dream Chaser could be a car too. LOL.

Story Mode is quite unique, but a lot more frustrating.

There are dialogues in between stages, and you run a course from point A to B to complete them.

What makes it frustrating? The HEARTS system.

You have a life pool represented by hearts. Everytime you fail, you lose a heart. You get 5 starting hearts. What happens when you lose all 5? TIMER of SEVEN-F****N-HOURS (at least that is what it was for me coz i tested dying just to see what losing all 5 hearts meant) to regain Hearts, or buy extra hearts through IAP. I was willing to look past some of the flaws in the game, but this was a deal breaker for me.

You are left to play Endless til timers are cooled down or if you paid to gain extra hearts.

In addition to that, this felt a bit grindy, but i cant say much as the game held me back from playing a bit more Story mode. I only played endless a bit as i didnt like the Outrun pseudo-time-trial system.

So yeah, this game is totally unique, that it frustrates me for unique reasons in a runner game.

It felt like it was actually complete before already, but the deal with Chillingo had them extend the release date for Chillingo's changes. Im not going to blame Chillingo for the timers as im not sure who implemented them there. It might already be there on the original design before Chillingo had their hands on them.

Right now it just feels outdated, despite the new things that are in it.

Im a little disappointed as i had high hopes in this one. Maybe my expectations got too high, but i hope i shed some light as to what this game can offer.

With this, i can NOT recommend it, as skipping this you're not really missing out on anything except new ways to complain on a runner game.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:04 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Ouch. Thanks for the impressions E-P. Aside from the other points, a seven hour timer? WTF? Even EA quickly reduced their timers in RR3 after the backlash.

Definately pass for me.

Gotta check out some of the other threads, you must be in heaven to at least have some runners this week after the lack of any last week!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:26 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

IAPs I can handle. But timers dictating when I can play a game I've paid for???

I'm staying away from this one. Timers are even worse than freemium games laden with IAPS!