★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

SUGGESTION- Proper Game Ratings

12-05-2008, 06:18 PM
#1
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Secret Treehouse
Posts: 232
SUGGESTION- Proper Game Ratings

With the reviews they are nice and descriptive but aren't very definite. There really needs to be a score on the to have some proper evaluation on the game as every conclusion seems to be "People who enjoy this genre will really enjoy it" or "Recommended by fans of the genre". It's pretty general and I feel things need to be tightened up and more definite to help the reader also evaluate it.
12-05-2008, 08:43 PM
#2
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Posts: 1,401
^ Completely agree with this. We need some kind of definite answer to whether a game is worth purchasing or not. Some of the reviews tend to be rather ambiguous. 10/10 system would be great.

12-05-2008, 09:11 PM
#3
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 784
Good idea.

The current system really bugs me!

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic


12-05-2008, 09:20 PM
#4
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,438
yeah.

Blake and I went back and forth on this early on. We decided against early on because most rating systems are crap. I find game reviews systems are too granular. Does a game with a 1/10 graphics (papijump) but a 10/10 gameplay deserve a 5? (simplistic example). And can you really compare something as being a 7/10 vs 8/10?

Since the results are generally pretty subjective, I think there is some interpretation to from the reader too.

I think a broad recommendation might be the best way - like bad, good, great, must have.

arn
12-05-2008, 09:24 PM
#5
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,308
Send a message via AIM to istopmotion Send a message via MSN to istopmotion
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
yeah.

Blake and I went back and forth on this early on. We decided against early on because most rating systems are crap. I find game reviews systems are too granular. Does a game with a 1/10 graphics (papijump) but a 10/10 gameplay deserve a 5? (simplistic example). And can you really compare something as being a 7/10 vs 8/10?

Since the results are generally pretty subjective, I think there is some interpretation to from the reader too.

I think a broad recommendation might be the best way - like bad, good, great, must have.

arn
I agree, but I think they could change how the stars work. Instead of just having one set of stars 1-5, they should have like 2-4 sets of stars up to 10.

example:

fun: x/10
graphics: x/10
quality (sound/game): x/10
replayability: x/10

Anyone think that sounds like a good idea? I like it

Please follow me on Twitter!
I LOVE all Guitar Hero/Rock Band games. Gamertag is 'istopmotion' Add me if you want a challenge
12-05-2008, 09:29 PM
#6
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
Does a game with a 1/10 graphics (papijump) but a 10/10 gameplay deserve a 5?
Yes

Maybe you can try the "thumbs up" system or put "wait for price drop" label on the reviews. And yes, I can tell the difference between a 7/10 and 8/10 game...
12-05-2008, 09:58 PM
#7
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everydaynormalguy View Post
Yes

Maybe you can try the "thumbs up" system or put "wait for price drop" label on the reviews. And yes, I can tell the difference between a 7/10 and 8/10 game...
ok, sure, give me an example of a 7/10 game and a 8/10 game.

arn
12-05-2008, 10:03 PM
#8
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
ok, sure, give me an example of a 7/10 game and a 8/10 game.

arn
Simple: Bugdom2 = 8, Nanosaur = 7. They are both quite long and look pretty good but one has a "save" feature. You might disagree but then again, I'm just a regular everyday normal guy so what I say has less power than someone like you thinks of a game...
12-05-2008, 10:36 PM
#9
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,555
The game ratings are just fine because I don't think that a personal, subjective opinion can be expressed in numbers.
12-05-2008, 11:50 PM
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by istopmotion View Post
I agree, but I think they could change how the stars work. Instead of just having one set of stars 1-5, they should have like 2-4 sets of stars up to 10.

example:

fun: x/10
graphics: x/10
quality (sound/game): x/10
replayability: x/10

Anyone think that sounds like a good idea? I like it
Are you even talking about Toucharcade...? Or the iTunes store...?