★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Favourite gameplay Style/Genre on Handheld

07-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Send a message via MSN to Jyaw3
Favourite gameplay Style/Genre on Handheld

Hello Everyone! (2nd post! I'll stop counting now, anymore is hard =))

So I've got a game coming out (in approval) Tetris/Columns falling block type. Will post more when it gets approved. I'd call this style genre, Real-Time Puzzle.

And another which is about 70-80% complete that's, Turn-Based Puzzle

So now my question to you guys is, what's your favourite style of gameplay and genre? I'm looking for ideas on a 3rd game, and essentially I want to ask the community (or as many people as I can) what kind of game they like to play and why?

You can send me messages in private if you got a great game idea (remember I'm only one person, so nothing like an MMO pls) or you can just list out games and why. Keep in mind, this relates to handheld devices.

As for me right now, Personally, I think I prefer turn-based game play, I just fine that in a lot of situations when I'm using it, there's always an occasion where someone will talk to me, or something that when i'm playing something that takes concentration and I have to react is just hard to go in and out of. As for genres, I like puzzle or strategy, as they both seem to lend themselves well to that style of gameplay.

Last edited by DaveMc99; 07-11-2009 at 08:49 AM.
07-10-2009, 11:58 AM
I'd personally like a Crackdown clone. Can you make a game that's graphics match this? It also has to run at at least 60 FPS.

07-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Fapp apps, mostly.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
07-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazar View Post
I'd personally like a Crackdown clone. Can you make a game that's graphics match this? It also has to run at at least 60 FPS.

can you really match the 360's graphics with an iphone/itouch? how bout a turn based rpg? i'm sure it'll work well with the iphone/itouch

Founder of Sgarrista Air Brigade
Devs, if you want reviews click here!
Yep, I'm a Brony
PSN: AeroFlare7221
07-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Tower defense games

Upcoming iPhone Games: World of Midgard,Paper Monsters, LostWinds,The First Attempt,Blade Slinger, Kale in Dinoland, Prevail
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerzack1 View Post
the psp sucks it has dumb games the nintendo ds is so much better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
Dumb people are dumb.
07-10-2009, 12:32 PM
360 graphics...ya...no :P

I have thought about an rpg actually, the only issues with it are
1. A lot of Art/Sound is needed
2. An actual good story
3. The market, while there are gamers who would like it, I don't know how well it would appeal to others/mass audience.
4. Cost if oyu made a good rpg I couldn't see it selling for less than like $15-20
5. Would you play it on a hand held? Sure there are some rpgs out there for handhelds (lots actually) but people who play them are Gamers and probably not the average person

But I guess if you like rpgs, the question that I'll ask now is, what do you like about them?
07-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Ya I considered making a tower defence game, there's quite a few out there though.

Though I guess I'll pitch this out their to people, What do you like in a TD?

Variety of towers? Different Creep Types (Flying/Armoured/Immune)? Creativity? Lots/Few Upgrades?

Fixed Path or Mazing Path? Squares or Hexagons?

Scenario, like you progress to unlock towers, or do you prefer all towers to be self contained within one level?

Any features you'd like to see in a TD that hasn't been done?
07-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyaw3 View Post
360 graphics...ya...no :P

I have thought about an rpg actually, the only issues with it are
1. A lot of Art/Sound is needed
2. An actual good story
3. The market, while there are gamers who would like it, I don't know how well it would appeal to others/mass audience.
4. Cost if oyu made a good rpg I couldn't see it selling for less than like $15-20
5. Would you play it on a hand held? Sure there are some rpgs out there for handhelds (lots actually) but people who play them are Gamers and probably not the average person

But I guess if you like rpgs, the question that I'll ask now is, what do you like about them?
it doesn't have to be extravagant, i prefer it 2D with sprites anyway. If i had to list what i like about rpg's, here they are. good story, decent music and sound, and good gameplay.

Founder of Sgarrista Air Brigade
Devs, if you want reviews click here!
Yep, I'm a Brony
PSN: AeroFlare7221
07-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Okay, so if it were an RPG game, What battle style do you like/prefer?

Action
Zelda LTTP/Phantom Hourglass - Top Down/ 3/4 view
(Some game I can't remember) - Side view - kinda like a 2d beatem up

Turn Based

Final Fantasy - World Map/City Map/Separate battlefield
Chrono Trigger - World Map/City Map (Fights happen on the map)
Dragon Quest - First Person Battle mode
Golden Sun - Separate characters from overworld view but generally side

I am considering making an RPG since there's not that many out there, my concern is really what/how to deal with art, since I don't want to require too many different people.
07-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyaw3 View Post
Okay, so if it were an RPG game, What battle style do you like/prefer?

Action
Zelda LTTP/Phantom Hourglass - Top Down/ 3/4 view
(Some game I can't remember) - Side view - kinda like a 2d beatem up

Turn Based

Final Fantasy - World Map/City Map/Separate battlefield
Chrono Trigger - World Map/City Map (Fights happen on the map)
Dragon Quest - First Person Battle mode
Golden Sun - Separate characters from overworld view but generally side

I am considering making an RPG since there's not that many out there, my concern is really what/how to deal with art, since I don't want to require too many different people.
OMGOMGOMG please make a game like fire emblem!! I like advance wars but i get sick of advance wars clones on app store. If you don't know what fire emblem is, it's a turn based strategy game, but you have characters who you carry from one mission to another and there is classes and upgrades and statistics and different weapons and if a character dies he's gone for good. Basically my fav game of all time. If you make it i will probably cry in joy