★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

8lb Gorilla

07-10-2009, 06:35 PM
8lb Gorilla

So, like the article on the front page says, EA has created a sub-company of 20 year old devs to simulate indies. Discuss.

As a start-up question, though, I have a question. Does 8lb Gorilla have total free reign or do they still have to ok every single one of their ideas and details through corporate EA? I don't see how they can compete directly with indies if they can't take feedback from consumers and apply it directly to the game.
07-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Heya- I'm Mike Pagano, the guy heading up 8 lb Gorilla. I'm listening here and on twitter: http://twitter.com/8lbgorilla.

Hope you will like the game and love to hear any and all feedback. I want to make kickass games for you and me (I like to make games I want to play- they turn out so much better with enough love!)

As a cheat commando once said: Rock, Rock on.

-Mike

07-10-2009, 07:25 PM
hello mike, welcome to toucharcade
game looks great by the way, cant wait for it
i just have one question has it already been submitted? or is it about to be submitted?

just read your name been a member since oct 208, so i guess welcome back to toucharcade? ha my bad

yslandia- bruce lee. plus+/openfeint-sundance kid. gamecenter-hitmonleeurface
currently playing: yslandia, mega worm,bit trip beat,meow meow happy fight, zombie highway,monster dash,eboy fixpix,land air sea warfare.

Last edited by sundance kid; 07-10-2009 at 07:28 PM.
07-10-2009, 07:32 PM
this is gonna be great!

Hey welcome to TA, and i can't wait for Zombie&Me as well as your future projects!

error (6676): signature did not load properly, refresh page please.
-Management
07-10-2009, 07:32 PM
lmao. have u guys seen the dude in the comments saying the game is crap and that eli is paid off? lmao. idiot

I'M ON A MAC MOTHAF*@%!

Cloudcell, Plus+, Baseball Slugger, TTR: dannys95
07-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostilucus View Post
Heya- I'm Mike Pagano, the guy heading up 8 lb Gorilla. I'm listening here and on twitter: http://twitter.com/8lbgorilla.

Hope you will like the game and love to hear any and all feedback. I want to make kickass games for you and me (I like to make games I want to play- they turn out so much better with enough love!)

As a cheat commando once said: Rock, Rock on.

-Mike
Alright, this is awesome that you guys are focusing on the $0.99 market, cause that's perfect for my budget (especially if it'll be monthly). Zombies & Me seems like a really good pick up and play type of game which is great.

Oh and I'm now following you guys on twitter.
07-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the warm reception, all! The game has been submitted- should be coming in the next few days. Can't wait- seriously. Original games are so much damn fun to make.
07-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostilucus View Post
Thanks for the warm reception, all! The game has been submitted- should be coming in the next few days. Can't wait- seriously. Original games are so much damn fun to make.
great news! looking forward to the game.good luck with this, and all other future projects

yslandia- bruce lee. plus+/openfeint-sundance kid. gamecenter-hitmonleeurface
currently playing: yslandia, mega worm,bit trip beat,meow meow happy fight, zombie highway,monster dash,eboy fixpix,land air sea warfare.
07-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Hi Mike!

I just read the front page story and watched the gameplay video, and I don't know if I'm missing something, but that kind of gameplay doesn't seem to appeal to me that much, especially for something I'd have to pay for.

I only recently got an iPhone so I haven't been in the market from the beginning, and maybe I'm spoiled by a lot of the 99 cent games/sales, but here are my thoughts on the situation-

As a consumer, I am in nirvana. There are just SO many OUTSTANDING games that are 99 cents that are polished, amazingly fun, addictive, and both quick to play or totally entertaining for hours (depending on how much I feel like playing at the moment).

Here are some examples: Flight Control/Harbor Master, Battle of Pirate Bay, Draw Race, Stone Loops, Doodle Jump, Eliss, and so on.

While a couple of those are on sale for 99 cents, the point is the same--each one manages to take what's special and unique about the iphone/ipod touch's control mechanisms, and perfectly create an engaging gaming experience out of it that is completely addictive and fun and non-repetitive.

I could literally play any one of those games either for a few minutes or for 1-2 hours and not feel bored (maybe some more than others).

From what I saw with your zombie game, it's basically just tapping on the screen and moving a bunch of zombies to a target and waiting for a missile to blow them up, rinse, repeat (albeit with a few more zombies as time goes on).

To me, and I may be alone (or maybe not), that just does not even come close to comparing to the gameplay available on just the titles I gave as examples above, which are all 99 cents (a couple temporarily 99 cents). In fact, I have several free games that seem to offer a lot more depth, fun, and compelling gameplay than the zombie game does.

I don't mean this to be negative, quite the contrary. I hope this feedback enables you to perhaps revisit titles you may be working on for the future and to examine what makes the really successful 99 cent games 'tick' in the hopes that you can create equivalently compelling and fun content at that pricepoint. There's just so much out there that's so much BETTER than the video posted of the zombie game that I really don't see a reason to spend even 99 cents on it (and I know, I haven't played the game yet, but if it's 99 cents, I probably never will in its current form). I hope this helps you guys out in the future as I think the idevices are a truly great platform for really fun games when done right.
07-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by red9 View Post
Here are some examples: Flight Control/Harbor Master, Battle of Pirate Bay, Draw Race, Stone Loops, Doodle Jump, Eliss, and so on.
All these games are relatively simple gameplay mechanics. When I first saw Flight Control before I played it ("it's just drawing lines"), I wasn't impressed. So, I don't think you can make such certain judgements so quickly. I'm sure there will be plenty of user reviews once the game comes out, so you can make a decision.

arn