★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Midnight tonight: Taxiball goes from $1.99->$4.99

07-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Midnight tonight: Taxiball goes from $1.99->$4.99

I know this is sort of a weird announcement, but I wanted to give TA users a bit of a heads up. Tonight, we're raising the price of Taxiball to just under $5.

You can get it now for $1.99 if you're interested, or you can follow @Taxiball on Twitter for potential free promo codes.

It's sort of interesting... there are a lot of reasons behind this decision, mostly it's an information-gathering kind of experience. We'll see how it goes.

seppo
07-10-2009, 07:42 PM
First off I just wanted to say thank you for giving notice. I always appreciate it when a dev takes the time to let us know about sales or price increases BEFORE they happen.

It shows they actually care.

I'll definitely be adding you to twitter right now

Cheers!

07-10-2009, 09:40 PM
VegantTnT -

If you don't have this, and you like games that use the accelerometer - it is a great game. Mixture of a lot of different challenges, different maps, calibrate on the fly (even has a little ball so you know it really is centered.

I was lucky enough to pick it up at the intro price. It has a lot of content, and the devs continue to put more into it. Just my $0.02

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
07-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Good luck with the experiment. I hope it works out for you, and it will be interesting to see what happens, especially now that TaxiBall has moved beyond its initial spike. Honestly, $5 is a fair price, and it would be nice to see it do well at that price point.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
07-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegantTnT View Post
First off I just wanted to say thank you for giving notice. I always appreciate it when a dev takes the time to let us know about sales or price increases BEFORE they happen.

It shows they actually care.

I'll definitely be adding you to twitter right now

Cheers!
+1, I hope all devs see this and follow your lead

But seriously, I definitely took this game into consideration seeing the price increase. Had it been my type of game I would've probably ended up buying it.
07-11-2009, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the positive responses. I'm sure everyone knows that undoubtedly, the game will return to $1.99, or even $0.99 - but the thing is that right now, with so many *huge* games dropping to $0.99, there actually isn't nearly as much motivation for a game like ours, which doesn't have a huge marketing budget, which doesn't have a huge reputation behind it to stay at $0.99 - the only way - the *only* way - you'll make money at $0.99 is through volume. Flight Control, and games like that, that get that grassroots momentum get a lot of value out of being cheap.

What we've found about Taxiball is that for whatever reason, though people who've played the game seem to really enjoy it, it hasn't managed to generate its own momentum. I think there are a couple legitimate reasons for that - it's a heavily stylized game, for one, it's an action game that requires a decent amount of dexterity, for two, and it's not immediately obvious what it is to some who doesn't understand "Crazy Taxi + Marble Madness" and get it right away.

So, we've been at $0.99 - and lemme tell you, as a developer, it's really scary to be at $0.99 and *not* get that momentum - because there's nowhere else to go. There have literally been nights where I'd just sit there, wondering why some Apps that were just ... garbage, to put it nicely, were eating us for lunch.

All that said, then, the thing you get out of being cheap is that you get more people to buy you on a whim. But at <$1, Taxiball doesn't have that momentum-generating ... je ne sais quoi. And the problem is, I love the game that we've made. Love it. And if the consumer base has said, "Eh," then that's what it's said. It's one of the reasons our next game is totally, totally different from Taxiball. We're still supporting Taxiball, no doubt. We've got some pretty interesting stuff in the pipe for it, and it'll definitely be a testbed for some more evolutionary steps we want to take. So if you got it, you'll see it supported for a good long while.

But is $0.99 magic? Not for everyone. It's all an experiment at this point. We try something different. If our sales drop to 0, so be it. We know what that's costing us, and we'll adjust if that's the case. The pricing flexibility is both a blessing and a curse. We've already learned a lot, and are hoping to learn a little more.

For the people that follow this sort of thing, and for the people who are interested in the game, that's why I'm posting here to let you know. For the people who aren't interested, they didn't buy it at a buck, or at two. They won't buy it at $5, either, but that's life.

seppo
07-11-2009, 12:43 AM
+10, mad respect man. Your a good dev.
07-11-2009, 12:51 AM
That was an excellent read. You totally have the initiative to do well in this industry. Just keep up the hard work and take good notes from your testing and you will go far.

Associate Editor, Slide To Play and Padvance
Follow me on Twitter
Feel free to email me at tim@slidetoplay.com if you want to bring a game or update to our attention.

Last edited by STP_Tim; 07-11-2009 at 01:36 AM.
07-11-2009, 01:31 AM
Seppo -

For those of us that also feel like Taxiball is an awesome game, I am sure that we will continue to support your other efforts. I read many comments here about people buying games from a particular developer just because they always make quality games. I sure hope that you can get that base of supporters, because you are right - there are a lot of apps that are not quality, and they are always in the top ranks - and they are not free either... Who knows why people do what they do? Keep it up though - there are people pulling for you!

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
07-11-2009, 04:32 AM
Just picked this up because of this thread. So far loving it. It is amazing that good games like this don't take off yet other games with far less content, thought or production values, do sell through the roof. I hope it sells more for you. Good luck.