★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Railroad Madness - 99c, looks like a decent twist on Flight Control-esque games

07-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Send a message via AIM to costanza
Railroad Madness - 99c, looks like a decent twist on Flight Control-esque games

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=321412247&mt=8

I'm going to get this, I think. Brief impressions soon.
07-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Whats up with all the burst of games all of a sudden

Add me on Steam for TF2: eggzbacon

07-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggzbacon
Whats up with all the burst of games all of a sudden
Apple must have people working overtime this weekend approving stuff, lol

So anyway, this game is pretty good. The best way I could describe the gameplay is Flight Control meets Pipe Mania (or better yet, Droplitz). Runs well, sounds nice, very polished, has online leaderboards. And just like Flight Control, it gets really difficult, but that's a good thing.

If they add more map layouts this would sit right alongside FC, Harbor Master, TaxiDrive, Battle of Pirate Bay, Sea Captain, Draw Race, etc. Right now it's just a bit too barebones. Still recommended for a dollar if you like this kinda thing.
07-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Well my 5 year old likes it, i find it a little frustrating.
Trains come down from the top of the screen and your job is to tap the arrows to send the trains in the right direction.
There are 4 (train stops) to direct the trains to, 2 are for cargo and 2 are for passenger trains.
The frustrating part is that each arrow directs the train in 5 different directions, so that's a lot of tapping considering that there are 18 arrows.

1st & 2nd gen iPod Touch 3.0
XBL, Plus+ and OpenFeint: TheKrazyRussian
Fav Dev/Game: Self Aware Games / Sentinel 2.
Beta tested for Ngmoco, EA and Insomniac Games.
07-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKrazyRussian View Post
Well my 5 year old likes it, i find it a little frustrating.
Trains come down from the top of the screen and your job is to tap the arrows to send the trains in the right direction.
There are 4 (train stops) to direct the trains to, 2 are for cargo and 2 are for passenger trains.
The frustrating part is that each arrow directs the train in 5 different directions, so that's a lot of tapping considering that there are 18 arrows.
yeah, that can get slightly frustrating. I can't really think of any way for them to make it better, though. Hmm
07-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by costanza View Post
Still recommended for a dollar if you like this kinda thing.
Agreed, check out the 4th pic on the App Store page and read our mini reviews, if it sounds like your cup of tea then buy it, it's just a buck.

1st & 2nd gen iPod Touch 3.0
XBL, Plus+ and OpenFeint: TheKrazyRussian
Fav Dev/Game: Self Aware Games / Sentinel 2.
Beta tested for Ngmoco, EA and Insomniac Games.
07-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Well this genre sure has shot up recently. I am still stuck on harbor master though.

Beta testing:Not currently able to beta test Tested: iPlutoid, Fish Fun, Armor Alley, Underworlds, 33rd DIVISION, Robocalypse: Mobile Mayhem, Earth VS Moon, Cash Machine, Helion, Zenonia, Koala Dartz, iSR, Baseball Slugger: Home Run Race 3D, Crazy Snowboard, Galactic Gunner, Rune Mage, Match3D, Card Ninja, iGangster.
07-12-2009, 01:29 AM
Description:

Chug-a Chug-a Choo Choo!

Railroad Madness is an easy to learn and hard to master game great for all ages. Railroad Madness is highly addictive, fun and entertaining.

Put on your thinking cap because you’re in charge of the whole train yard operation. As the conductor, you must make sure your cargo and passenger trains arrive safely.

With a tap of the switching arrows you will direct the trains through the train tracks to their correct station. Be careful... Every move counts.

Don’t get “sidetracked”... as the switch operator you need to make sure your trains don’t crash.

Just when you think you got the hang of it, the pace increases as the speed of trains and their frequency in which they enter the game field becomes fast and furious. All of the sudden... Its Railroad Madness!

After your first game you won’t want to put it down. You will want to compete against your high scores and the high scores of other conductors which can be seen with our online leader boards.

Features Include:
- Awesome graphical style
- Easy to play game mechanics
- Online High Score Leader boards
- Personal achievement established your rank

With the proper concentration and practice you will be on your way from Trainee to Master Engineer.

Recommended for fans of Flight Control by Firemint, Enigmo, Catcha Mouse, Bluebird, Bug Squash, Harbor Master, Road Rage Ahead, Tap Tap, Tiki Towers Lite

Keywords: Train, Conductor, Railroad, Tracks, Strategy, Puzzle, Game, Subway, Caboose, Locomotive, Freight, Amtrack, Railcar, Monorail, Maglev, Boxcar, Passenger

Toot! Toot!
What's new

Screenshots
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	412247_5.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	5333   Click image for larger version

Name:	412247.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	5334   Click image for larger version

Name:	412247_2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	5335  

Click image for larger version

Name:	412247_3.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	5336   Click image for larger version

Name:	412247_4.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	5337  

Life Is Too Short To Be Wordy
07-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Any other impressions? I am thinking about pulling the trigger.
07-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Ahead and bought it, pretty fun. I think it is worth buying, but it gets hard fast, because you have to tap the arrow a few times to get it to go back to normal.

Discussion continued here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=20871

Last edited by Prab; 09-03-2009 at 03:07 PM. Reason: added link to dev's thread