★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Angry Bards->Free

04-19-2013, 06:50 AM
Angry Bards->Free

I've never heard of this game before; This post is not to be taken as an Official Greyskull Endorsement . It does look interesting enough to warrant a thread, though...and looks like just the sort of game for quite a few TA members (including myself).
04-19-2013, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post

I've never heard of this game before; This post is not to be taken as an Official Greyskull Endorsement . It does look interesting enough to warrant a thread, though...and looks like just the sort of game for quite a few TA members (including myself).
Never heard of it, but yeah, with a name like that? Imma download it just to have the icon and app name in my phone!

Thanks as always Grey!

DBC

I could never give up.

04-19-2013, 07:21 AM
lol at the name

=>> HEY YOU! Why own an iPad if you haven't played CRABITRON? <<=

Playing: Corridor Z, Goblin Sword, Lost Toys, Duet Game, Layton Brother, Threes!, Solomon's Keep, Crabitron, Punch Quest, IB3, Sword & Sworcery (Recommend them all!)
04-19-2013, 07:23 AM
I think we can all admit that we saw the title and thought "Angry Birds"
04-19-2013, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggy110 View Post
I think we can all admit that we saw the title and thought "Angry Birds"
Yeah, but I like how it ISN'T an Angry Birds clone trying to lure in buyers with the name. Instead it's satire with the wordplay actually backed up by the gameplay, which makes me giggle, 'cause well done puns always do.

And I don't have any games which feature beard upgrades or Renaissance chiptunes. I never knew I need them, until I read the description.
04-19-2013, 08:14 AM
Yeah the description on this and those images make me realize what I've been missing in my gaming library. DOWNLOADING to my PC now!!! Cool little find, I hope the gameplay just absolutely rocks.

EDIT:

Same dev has another game, Diceman Go!, and it's also free. Just heads up, I am downloading it now so I don't know if it's good or not. It's a dice puzzle game with nice retro pixel graphics. Both games and the dev are pretty new to iOS, so I take it this free push is to help get a little recognition.

Last edited by nightc1; 04-19-2013 at 08:17 AM.
04-19-2013, 08:17 AM
Lol. Screenshot 6 is so awesome.
04-19-2013, 09:09 AM
Ok here's the breakdown of the game...

The tavern with the items you can buy as well as just the stuff you get is pretty awesome (no IAP, I'm talking coins collected during the game)

The main game, Arcade mode, is exactly what's shown in the pictures. It's you, in a bar, and enemies come from the side or bottom of the screen. You tap the enemy (or tap in that direction based on your current location) to shoot out musical notes to kill the enemies. Things happen in swarms, but you get (at the beginning) 1 power up that recharges between hits (the book icon). This power up is up to you, just hit the tavern and read the descriptions and see which one you like. I've made it to wave VI or something.

There are 21 listed achievements (I say listed as some games have hidden achievements) as well as a leaderboard which seems to be just the top number of kills in one game.

The main complaint folks will probably have is you have to tilt to move and tap to shoot. This combo is a bit different than most games since the spot you tap is important. Also because of the tilt (I presume) there's no auto rotate or option to rotate the screen (which really auto rotate doesn't seem like it would be needed here but someone always complains about this). Oh and tilt only seems to work well from a more downward angle. Probably perfect for sitting in a chair (or throne) but not good for playing at night in bed.

All in all, awesome little game. It has the right amount of interesting items (which the book super powers level up with use) and achievements seem to trigger new outfits and stuff which are superficial but there's something cool about choosing the outfit and beard before going into battle.
04-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post
Yeah the description on this and those images make me realize what I've been missing in my gaming library. DOWNLOADING to my PC now!!! Cool little find, I hope the gameplay just absolutely rocks.

EDIT:

Same dev has another game, Diceman Go!, and it's also free. Just heads up, I am downloading it now so I don't know if it's good or not. It's a dice puzzle game with nice retro pixel graphics. Both games and the dev are pretty new to iOS, so I take it this free push is to help get a little recognition.
Yeah, I saw the other game was on sale for free, but I've been trying not to spam these boards It was just a judgement call on my part to post about Angry Bards, since I haven't played it and started this topic strictly due to the screenshots and game description.
04-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post
Ok here's the breakdown of the game...

The tavern with the items you can buy as well as just the stuff you get is pretty awesome (no IAP, I'm talking coins collected during the game)

The main game, Arcade mode, is exactly what's shown in the pictures. It's you, in a bar, and enemies come from the side or bottom of the screen. You tap the enemy (or tap in that direction based on your current location) to shoot out musical notes to kill the enemies. Things happen in swarms, but you get (at the beginning) 1 power up that recharges between hits (the book icon). This power up is up to you, just hit the tavern and read the descriptions and see which one you like. I've made it to wave VI or something.

There are 21 listed achievements (I say listed as some games have hidden achievements) as well as a leaderboard which seems to be just the top number of kills in one game.

The main complaint folks will probably have is you have to tilt to move and tap to shoot. This combo is a bit different than most games since the spot you tap is important. Also because of the tilt (I presume) there's no auto rotate or option to rotate the screen (which really auto rotate doesn't seem like it would be needed here but someone always complains about this). Oh and tilt only seems to work well from a more downward angle. Probably perfect for sitting in a chair (or throne) but not good for playing at night in bed.

All in all, awesome little game. It has the right amount of interesting items (which the book super powers level up with use) and achievements seem to trigger new outfits and stuff which are superficial but there's something cool about choosing the outfit and beard before going into battle.
Any tilt sensitivity option? If not, I'll probably need to delete it from my iPad Mini and install it on my...:shudders: iphone 4S.