★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Christmas Eve/ Christmas Day

12-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Christmas Eve/ Christmas Day

Devs have 2 options for these days that are close to Christmas:

A) lower their app prices in hope of people buying their game over another one, or, for bigger companies, allows people to buy more of that companies apps.

OR
B). Either keep their prices the same or raise them back to the normal price, knowing people will probably get iTunes gift cards and such, and a lot of people who just got iPods or iPhones won't really know what a good deal on some games are yet.

I'm wondering what people think will happen, as for me, I'm hoping for the former (a). =)
12-06-2008, 10:14 AM
(A)

I'm expecting a domino effect. If one good dev lowers prices a lot , other devs will feel forced to lower their prices too in order to sell more.

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago

12-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisking1o1 View Post
Devs have 2 options for these days that are close to Christmas:

A) lower their app prices in hope of people buying their game over another one, or, for bigger companies, allows people to buy more of that companies apps.

OR
B). Either keep their prices the same or raise them back to the normal price, knowing people will probably get iTunes gift cards and such, and a lot of people who just got iPods or iPhones won't really know what a good deal on some games are yet.

I'm wondering what people think will happen, as for me, I'm hoping for the former (a). =)
Some variation of a) Maybe lower them like the 20th through the 3rd, to get the rush of iTunes gift cards. I don't see a price increase. The devs would get bashed.
12-06-2008, 10:24 AM
I'm hoping for a Black Friday repeat... with several days of game sales. Probably 25-27 dec.

That way you have a limited sale period, with plenty of time to cash in those iTunes cards.

I wouldn't count on new games getting low prices though... probably won't be able to get NFS or Sim City for $5.
12-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornkeizers View Post
I'm hoping for a Black Friday repeat... with several days of game sales. Probably 25-27 dec.

That way you have a limited sale period, with plenty of time to cash in those iTunes cards.

I wouldn't count on new games getting low prices though... probably won't be able to get NFS or Sim City for $5.
That would be great!
12-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Christmas FTW! Maybe Santa will bring us all iTunes gift cards?!

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
12-06-2008, 09:11 PM
I was thinking, and i think EA won't release NFS until christmas day, or the days after, cause think about it.... If it just came out, people don't expect a price drop compared to hero of sparta which wouldve been there for a few weeks already, so people have all these i tunes gift cars and everyones looking forward to NFS, and thats just what they want, isn't it
12-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killquake View Post
I was thinking, and i think EA won't release NFS until christmas day, or the days after, cause think about it.... If it just came out, people don't expect a price drop compared to hero of sparta which wouldve been there for a few weeks already, so people have all these i tunes gift cars and everyones looking forward to NFS, and thats just what they want, isn't it
Yeah, and if it really is a dud for some reason (hoping it's not!), if they release it Christmas day, there isn't any time for reviewers to give it bad reviews, and many people may buy it just cause it's nfs. However, the downside to that is there's no time to get publicity (a spot in the top 50) on the app store for new iPhone or iPod tocuh owners, or just uneducated buyers, which means the game may get less traffic. I guess we'll just have to see what they do.
12-06-2008, 10:35 PM
why would anyone choose b to happen that would be stupid
12-07-2008, 05:29 AM
Send a message via MSN to Paulio
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomper View Post
why would anyone choose b to happen that would be stupid
Tennisking1o1 is basically asking what we think the devs will do over christmas time, will they go for the sell stacks for less and try for more money, or sell less for more and get more from that. He makes this point pretty obvious when he says:

"B). Either keep their prices the same or raise them back to the normal price, knowing people will probably get iTunes gift cards and such, and a lot of people who just got iPods or iPhones won't really know what a good deal (is) on some games are yet."

I think this is a good question, and I'm hoping for (A.) but it really is anyones guess.
Someone made a good point about a large company dropping their prices low for mass sales, and then most other devs will follow suit. This will probably happen, but it could go either way. Blackfriday was a great day, but christmas is different. With talk about a 4GB iPhone in US WalMart stores for USD$99, Christmas will bring a lot of new comers to the iDevice club. These people will come with their wallets fat ready for pimping out their new machine, just like many people did for the release of the AppStore. The idea that whether there will be significant sales on Christmas is a nice one, but really just as likely as there to not be big sales at all.
My bet is that gameloft (or equivilant) will lower their prices on they're new games BIA and HoS and this will push many devs to do the same ("domino effect") but who knows. Just wait and see.
B.) is definetily not a "stupid" idea at all from the devs POV, but from our eyes, it's a different story.