★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Pharaoh - $0.99 Match-3 with unique approach

07-13-2009, 01:31 AM
Pharaoh - $0.99 Match-3 with unique approach

Pharaoh - $0.99 - 5.5 MB

This is yet another game from my Palm days and as soon as I saw it I purchased it.

The gameplay is simple:
  • swap two gems (the ones at bottom) horizontally, vertically or diagonally and if you arrange at least 3 of the same color (horizontally or vertically) they will disappear
  • arrange five or more of the same color or two different colors (e.g. 3 blue and 3 green) in the same play and you get a Bonus
  • after you move new gems fall from the top (along the game more gems will fall at the same time)
  • you lose if at least a column reaches the top; however, if you have a bonus then you'll lose a bonus first; so, collect bonus is very important!

What is interesting behind this gameplay is that you have to play with some strategy in order to collect bonuses to build a higher score.

Give this game a fair chance and you'll find it a stressless (no timer) puzzle with a strategic touch that you actually have to use and that is easy to see, to figure out.

The overall production is not excellent. It's just good. I like the Palm graphics style more but the iPhone version works very well for the touch controls.

You can tap one gem then tap another to swap (the safe way) or just swap in one move.

There is no online high score and the local one does not ask for your name.

However, it can properly resume and it is compatible with the iPOD music without muting the game sounds.

I'm a huge fan of this game and the iPhone version kept the gameplay entirely and all I'd like to see is a better local high score along with an online board, which is almost mandatory nowadays.

4/5

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8
07-13-2009, 01:40 AM
[sarcasm]I am as excited for a new Match-3 as much as for a new TD game.[/sarcasm] Pass.

1st & 2nd gen iPod Touch 3.0
XBL, Plus+ and OpenFeint: TheKrazyRussian
Fav Dev/Game: Self Aware Games / Sentinel 2.
Beta tested for Ngmoco, EA and Insomniac Games.

07-13-2009, 02:07 AM
The game sounds interesting but, unfortunately, it is not compatible with the first generation iPod Touch.
07-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
The game sounds interesting but, unfortunately, it is not compatible with the first generation iPod Touch.
That's bad.

Anyway, here's the developer's web address in case you'd like to contact him:

http://www.megasoft2000.com/

07-13-2009, 11:29 AM
think ill pass, not that it looks too bad but i dunno.. i already have similar games
07-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerm71 View Post
think ill pass, not that it looks too bad but i dunno.. i already have similar games
Big mistake!

No, seriously. If you like puzzle games you should try this. It fits in the match-3 genre but I don't remember anything similar.

07-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos-Sz View Post
Big mistake!
Ok you talked me into getting this game.
07-13-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm gonna trust you on this Carlos-Sz. I saw your iTunes review, so I will buy. But you'll lose brownie points if I hate it

plus+ scoreloop crystal : looby
agon openfeint gamecenter: loobylibby
07-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMc99 View Post
Ok you talked me into getting this game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhagoCychotic View Post
I'm gonna trust you on this Carlos-Sz. I saw your iTunes review, so I will buy. But you'll lose brownie points if I hate it
As I wrote above you have to give a fair chance.

The first time I played it back in my Palm device days I was not impressed mainly because I didn't see the strategic touch of the game. And this is a kind of strategy that you can build stressless and not counting only by luck.

By the way, my high score right now is 8810.

09-10-2009, 08:04 PM
I removed because I posted it wrong thread, my apologies.

Last edited by epedemix; 09-10-2009 at 08:07 PM. Reason: wrong post