★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Why the lack of RPGs/story driven games?

07-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Why the lack of RPGs/story driven games?

For example, the GBA had plenty of RPGs and fleshed out games that lasted hours and hours. I know there is a way to play GBA games on the iPhone but I've found it to be awkward, with controls that aren't optimized for the platform. Why aren't more RPGs (like Zenonia) being released?
07-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Cause it takes quite a bit of thought and time to make one, unless it's ported but stil...and plus, most idevice users are really not looking for long story-driven games like that.

Ah...I wish there were more too

Twitter: @back2this

07-13-2009, 01:09 PM
because developers in the app store won't bringgames that are either big, cool and innovative (BIA) but rather small pick up and play games (flight control) because that is what peopele want. Cheep fast games. RPGs are very hard to make and require lots of invested time, especially story driven games. It is easier for devs to make smaller games and that is what iphone owners want. Correct me if I am wrong, but zenonia hasn't made its way to the top ten yet, while flight control maintained 1st for a matter of weeks.

Playing: Hi How Are You, iBlast Moki, Rolando, ScareCrow, and all of my Plus+ games.
ngmoco:] Plus+ ID: Danlipson
Challenge Me!
PM me for free video editing of... anything
07-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Cause that's a lot of time and resources for a dev to put into something that might not sell at all. The "$0.99 mentality" has bred a gaming ecosystem that caters to the tower-defense-knockoffs and imob-knockoffs and such.

just my opinion of course.
07-13-2009, 01:12 PM
It's the fault of the buying public.
07-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadweight View Post
Cause that's a lot of time and resources for a dev to put into something that might not sell at all. The "$0.99 mentality" has bred a gaming ecosystem that caters to the tower-defense-knockoffs and imob-knockoffs and such.

just my opinion of course.
Spot on, with the race to 99, developers just can't afford to spend the time it takes to make an epic RPG. The only reason we got Zenonia is because it already existed on mobile phones and it just got ported.

If you look at games like the SNES or GBA classic RPG's that would work wonderfully on the iPhone, they all were created with a staff of developers, artists, and writers that rival a small movie production. It's just not realistic to finance a project like that when you're forced to sell it for 99.

The 3GS is fully capable of emulating Final Fantasy 7, imagine what both the 3G and the 3GS would be capable of without emulation if a big-name studio sunk the kind of money that goes in to your average Final Fantasy title in to an iPhone game. It would be unbelievable.
07-13-2009, 01:31 PM
they should just import games that has dried up from classic systems

but how much money can they actually make?
07-13-2009, 01:40 PM
ya why can't they just port some SNES or even NES games?

is nintendo blocking them to protect dsi sales?

i wanna see chrono trigger, secret of mana/evermore, final fantasy 1-infinity, earthbound, donkey kong country, mario world

you know, classics

... to answer my own question i googled it and found this http://www.touchpodium.com/2008/08/2...the-app-store/
07-13-2009, 01:50 PM
I tried playing Chrono Trigger on the iPhone via an emulator (I own it so it's not illegal) but it was just awkward and unstable. A proper port would be great, I'd love to see some of the clasic 16bit RPGs ported over. I'd pay $5-$10 easily.
07-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Send a message via MSN to Jyaw3
Once again as people have said, it's pretty much the time,effort and scale of those kind of games. In another thread I created I was talking/thinking about a turn based strategy RPG. I'm still not fully convinced how far I'll go with it simply based on the market for it.

If I do go ahead (I've already started making the battlefield and pathfinder) I might release just the battle mode of the game first, like pick your units and fight, kinda like...warhammer/star control(Best Game Ever) where you choose the point/value of your army and then select units and fight.

If people enjoy that and what not, I'll continue with a single player story.

But that's the way I'm planning to approach this genre since it's lacking variety.