★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How exactly does the DRM for DLC work in 3.0?

07-13-2009, 03:10 PM
How exactly does the DRM for DLC work in 3.0?

I haven't seen an exact answer on this question and I was wondering if anyone knew how this would work? For example say I loose my iTunes library to a surge and it nukes my drive and backup. I can redownload my purchased games but what about DLC? Or what if I decide to upgrade to a new device? I know I can have my games on multiple devices but what about DLC such as additions to Flick Fishing?
07-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Fitting username for this topic.

07-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Supposedly companies have to allow you to re-download any purchased content for free.

i.e.

1) Re-download game in iTunes (free)
2) Re-download in game content (also for free)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
07-13-2009, 03:13 PM
I'd also really like to know. I've been wondering the same thing.

Apps iLove: iBooks, Podcasts, Tweetbot, Reeder, Instapaper, SoundHound, MLS Live
Games iLove: Real Racing 2, Minecraft, Fieldrunners 2, Great Big War Game, FIFA 12
GameCenter: PeterM11
07-13-2009, 03:13 PM
It's exactly the same as other iTunes purchases on your account. If you've bought it and for some reason have to wipe the device and go to buy it again iTunes lets you download it again for free.
07-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwilnik View Post
It's exactly the same as other iTunes purchases on your account. If you've bought it and for some reason have to wipe the device and go to buy it again iTunes lets you download it again for free.
k. thats very good to know.

Apps iLove: iBooks, Podcasts, Tweetbot, Reeder, Instapaper, SoundHound, MLS Live
Games iLove: Real Racing 2, Minecraft, Fieldrunners 2, Great Big War Game, FIFA 12
GameCenter: PeterM11
07-13-2009, 04:17 PM
What about multiple devices? Same rules as full games? I think its up to 5 devices?
07-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwilnik View Post
I want to know about storing the DLC locally. Does it get saved to the Mobile Applications folder in iTunes?
07-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by powersurge View Post
What about multiple devices? Same rules as full games? I think its up to 5 devices?
Good question. If you bought and installed the game under your own account, it should transfer over to other devices that are linked to your account. Zwilnik can correct me if I'm wrong.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Touch Arcade Developer's Group Coordinator
Follow me on Twitter

Guidelines To Offering & Receiving Services
07-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandog View Post
Good question. If you bought and installed the game under your own account, it should transfer over to other devices that are linked to your account. Zwilnik can correct me if I'm wrong.
re-buying it on another device with the same account downloads it for free (just tested it as I wasn't sure myself ).

As for the other question of where it's stored. That is of course under NDA and it's not advisable to go routing around trying to find it (we've been tracking several attempts to hack the DLC already). It's not something players need to know about as it's kept safe in your Apple iTunes account anyway and hacking around with the game invariably ends with bad results.