★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How important do you think music is?

07-13-2009, 10:19 PM
How important do you think music is?

I'm debating pulling music from my app and only having sound effects. Almost everyone I've spoken to have said that they like listening to their own music.

Thoughts?
07-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerz View Post
I'm debating pulling music from my app and only having sound effects. Almost everyone I've spoken to have said that they like listening to their own music.

Thoughts?
If you've gone to the trouble of having music you might as well leave it in. Then just detect if people are playing their own music and if so disable yours

Check out Sheepish, 100+ levels of puzzle fun! With sheep!
And more about us: www.pixelthismobile.com
plus+ id: Newtz

07-14-2009, 05:50 AM
I'd never release a game without music.

Didev Studios || Twitter || YouTube || Facebook
Releases
GeoSnake || Bugz || Review Scraper (Open Source)
07-14-2009, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertWittyName View Post
I'd never release a game without music.
Then what's the problem?

Do it the Firemint (and J2ME) way - have a screen upon game loading that lets you pick if you want to play game music or your own. You could even 1up Firemint by having the 3.0 music controls built-in right there, at the start. I'd like to build something like that into my first app.

First game in progress...
07-14-2009, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamboy View Post
Then what's the problem?

Do it the Firemint (and J2ME) way - have a screen upon game loading that lets you pick if you want to play game music or your own. You could even 1up Firemint by having the 3.0 music controls built-in right there, at the start. I'd like to build something like that into my first app.
What's the problem? He's not the one asking the question =P

I always want music in my games. It gives the game a soul =O

back
07-14-2009, 06:58 AM
Definitely music. Especially for games where you want to evoke some sort of feeling/emotion, even some puzzle games need that.

Of course, you need to add the option to let users listen to their own music as well, but that does not mean disabling music completely!
07-14-2009, 08:01 AM
I'd say I almost always prefer listening to a game's own soundtrack, unless it's terrible or too repetitive.

--Eric

Realmaze3D on the App Store
Realmaze3Free: 3 free mazes (a taste of Realmaze3D)
07-14-2009, 08:30 AM
I like the vipValet music - adds to the frenzy

And I always listen to the game soundtrack rather than my own music. It usually really adds to the atmosphere, and makes the game a more immersive environment. A rich environment will make your game more sticky and draw the players back into it

As long as people have the option of listening to their own music instead, definitely leave it in there. And you don't really need the 3.0 music selection feature in there for that. As long as they're able to mute your game music and sound effects separately, and play their own music over it, it's fine.
07-14-2009, 08:38 AM
just a little bursts every now and then. like a treat.
07-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Quote:
What's the problem? He's not the one asking the question =P
My bad there! But still, I figure, leave it in and give them an option. And don't do it in an options menu (thereby cutting off the existing music until you navigate to the options menu) - do it at the beginning.

First game in progress...