★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Speedr 1.1: now includes CopR, KilldozR Modes

07-14-2009, 02:04 AM
Speedr 1.1: now includes CopR, KilldozR Modes

I will be uploading version 1.1 of SpeedR to the app store.

Here's the list of updates/additions:

- KilldozR mode. You are an armored bulldozer and your sole purpose is to destroy everything in your path. You have 300 seconds to do so.

For those that don't know the Killdozer story, read this.

- CopR mode. Instead of speeding, you are now the police officer. Catch as many SpeedRs as you can without damaging your car too much.

The arrow you see there indicates what lane you need to be in to catch the SpeedR.

- The 'Game Over' screen was revamped.

- The Local High Scores screen was revamped.

- Global leaderboard was adjusted for the new game types.

- You can now re-calibrate through the pause menu.

.. and some other things which I forget. I've also optimized the code/graphics a bit more, so the application is actually smaller and faster.

Anyway, I'll be uploading sometime this week. I want to test for a few days to make sure I don't see any bugs. I'm also going to try recording a video of gameplay this week. I've never done it before so I can't guarantee anything.

Thanks

Roy
07-14-2009, 08:19 AM
Did some testing last night. So far so good.

07-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerz View Post
Did some testing last night. So far so good.
Looks inteResting.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
07-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Just grabbed it and have to say it's actually pretty decent.

While maybe already stated, the gameplay mechanics couldn't be more straight forward. Choose your car (each has different listed characteristics like speed, turning, and durability) and then see how far down the highway you can make it by tilting your device toward and away from yourself to control you lane changes. You'll always be traveling at your vehicle's top speed and the further you go down the highway the thicker the traffic gets (the more frequent it appears nearby idiots will change lanes in front of you without warning).

I like how the various cars really do seem to perform a bit differently and, for the most part, aren't simply a case of better or worse but trying to find the car that works best for how you like to play the game.

I also appreciate the added tension of the later levels with you just squeezing in between a couple of slow moving semis! While already a solid diversion, I think the proposed new modes will do a lot to add longevity to the game.

My only negative is that it doesn't appear to save your score posting information (not just your name but even your login information if posting online). I can only HOPE this will be addressed in v1.1! I just want the classic of having the forms already auto-filled with the last information entered but still having an option, of course, to change the information if need be before submitting.

My iTunes Reviews
07-14-2009, 09:48 AM
oh coo i wanna check out killdozR mode, should be fun
07-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
My only negative is that it doesn't appear to save your score posting information (not just your name but even your login information if posting online). I can only HOPE this will be addressed in v1.1! I just want the classic of having the forms already auto-filled with the last information entered but still having an option, of course, to change the information if need be before submitting.
Great idea.. can't believe I forgot that. That will be in 1.1.
07-14-2009, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerz View Post
Great idea.. can't believe I forgot that. That will be in 1.1.
Also, not clear on something. By putting in a handle and password do I CREATE a Pwned account or did I already need to have one?

My iTunes Reviews
07-14-2009, 10:26 AM
CORRECTION:

You actually can slow down or speed up by tilting your device left or right.

My only gripe with speeding up is that the screen doesn't bother to stay centered on the player so if you speed up you'll probably just end up bumping against the right edge of the screen. While not likely an easy fix, might this be looked into in future updates since speeding up shouldn't mean not being able to see ahead of you?

My iTunes Reviews
07-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Also, not clear on something. By putting in a handle and password do I CREATE a Pwned account or did I already need to have one?
You need to already have one. I've been meaning to set up registration in-game, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Quote:
CORRECTION:

You actually can slow down or speed up by tilting your device left or right.

My only gripe with speeding up is that the screen doesn't bother to stay centered on the player so if you speed up you'll probably just end up bumping against the right edge of the screen. While not likely an easy fix, might this be looked into in future updates since speeding up shouldn't mean not being able to see ahead of you?
That's correct. I'll see what I can do about not letting you hit the right edge of the screen. I just got so used to playing how it is that I didn't think of that.

Thanks for all the input
07-14-2009, 11:48 PM
Questions:

1. Can I customise my car? (at least the outlook)
2. How is the "sense of speed"?
3. When would we see at least one game play video? (Most requested)

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

“Honestly, I was never terribly good at games.” - Finch (PoI S2E16)