★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: XPilot now available

07-14-2009, 09:43 AM
XPilot now available

Introducing XPilot for the iPhone, the first game from 7b5 Labs, now available in the app store. XPilot is a resurrection of the classic '90s online multiplayer space action game for UNIX workstations, and is full of retro goodness (plus some cool new iPhone-specific toys and completely revamped controls) -- but it's also an incredibly addictive game that hasn't been duplicated (or even imitated) since its creation. XPilot is fully open source -- the source can be downloaded today from the 7b5 Labs website.

Quote:
Use reflexes, strategy, and cunning -- not to mention dozens of formidable and outlandish weapons and gadgets -- as you battle other players and robots to dominate the world of XPilot in a networked mixture of space physics and sci-fi mayhem. Experience this resurrected classic in a whole new way!
  • Pilot your ship through a world based on uniquely authentic 2D spaceflight physics: thrust, momentum, and acceleration are as vital to your survival as lasers and cloaking devices.
  • Navigate through an array of wild and devious spacescapes and arenas teeming with gravity wells, transporters, and automated cannons.
  • Collect items to build up your ship's capabilities.
  • Fire heat-seeking missiles, switch on tractor beams at just the right moment to throw your competitors off their game, remotely detonate proximity mines.
  • Team up to steal your opponents' treasure or simply indulge in random acts of chaos.

Classics, though they may be forgotten for a while, they never lose their potency. Play Doh, Rubik's Cube, boomerangs, semi-legal firecrackers; once perfected, they cannot be imitated or improved upon. XPilot was created during the Internet's adolescence, obsessed over by a few gaming pioneers around the world, and finally lost, waiting quietly to be rediscovered. Groundbreaking technically, it paved the way for today's massively multiplayer online games. But its true genius was its gameplay, unique and never duplicated. Until now. 7b5 Labs has resurrected XPilot with its most technically advanced incarnation yet -- and added a few toys along the way.

Director of Reverse Engineered Alien Technology
7b5 Labs -- Makers of Subatomic and XPilot
07-14-2009, 09:44 AM
anyone play this? im undecided...

07-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Bought. It's a great blast from the past.

The controls work and are responsive (although initially they felt backwards to me). Flying became quickly intuitive, and combat straightforward.

I wish I could change my name without leaving the app. I can't seem to swipe open the controls without firing. I ran into some latency issues with more distant servers, but I remember that happening to Xpilot in the old days. Pick a nearby-sounding server for the best experience.

Overall, it's very fun. Some of these maps have a lot to explore -- more content than a lot of iPhone games have at launch, which is a pleasant surprise. It's a more fun multiplayer experience than the RoboFighters app I bought yesterday.
07-14-2009, 02:23 PM
This looks great! I plan on picking it up today. Hopefully some others can look past fancy graphics for the sake of quality multiplayer.
07-14-2009, 02:25 PM
I wonder if this version is compatible with the non iphone based XPilot games... (cross platform multiplayer).

Current: iPhone 6S, new 3DS, Vita
07-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayLancer View Post
I wonder if this version is compatible with the non iphone based XPilot games... (cross platform multiplayer).
The perk would be a lot more people to play against, the downside is those on the iDevices would get rocked by those using better controls.
07-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhgii View Post
The perk would be a lot more people to play against, the downside is those on the iDevices would get rocked by those using better controls.

From Blake's front page
post about Xpilot:
-----------------------------------------
XPilot for the iPhone feels pretty much like the desktop version, but with a smaller play screen.* It works, though.* And just like the original, there's a chat feature, so you can talk smack to those you are schooling.* (In fact, when I mentioned I was on an iPhone, three of the players in the match ran off to download it, allowing me to repeatedly destroy them mwahaahaa!* I suggest this tactic to iPhone players everywhere.
This leads me to hope that you can play verses other platforms...
Already bought it, looks good, will take a while to learn the
controls.
07-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixx View Post
From Blake's front page
post about Xpilot:
XPilot for the iPhone feels pretty much like the desktop version, but with a smaller play screen.* It works, though.* And just like the original, there's a chat feature, so you can talk smack to those you are schooling.* (In fact, when I mentioned I was on an iPhone, three of the players in the match ran off to download it, allowing me to repeatedly destroy them mwahaahaa!* I suggest this tactic to iPhone players everywhere.
This leads me to hope that you can play verses other platforms...
Already bought it, looks good, will take a while to learn the
controls.
Interesting... I'd just be concerned about them having a serious upper hand. It's hard to compete with keyboard/mouse controls for a game like this, no matter how intuitive the touch screen is. I'll have to give it a try soon to find out for myself, I suppose.
07-14-2009, 05:16 PM
The devs released a video. I might actually get this, I was playing the windows build of XPilot-ng.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Current: iPhone 6S, new 3DS, Vita
07-14-2009, 07:16 PM
I downloaded it, and while I'm impressed with the gameplay and features, the controls are incredibly difficult. I'm either going too fast or too slow, and my thumb is often getting in the way. I'm having a hard time grasping the idea of putting my finger a distance *behind* the craft. The further back, the faster it goes, as opposed to putting it in front. I understand that having your finger in front of you will block wherever you're aiming, but the controls simply feel a bit clumsy. Even in the video the developer sent, they were bouncing all over the level. There's also no real way to turn your ship without moving in the direction as well, and even the "stopping" feature is pretty weak. I'd love a way to turn my vessel without having to move it

I think a better controlling scheme would be a form of analog stick on the right side to aim your ship, with a thrust button/bar to control the speed, and a separate button to shoot. I'd sacrifice the ability to comfortably thrust AND shoot at the same time to have better control over my ship, although if there was a slider bar to adjust thrust, you could set it to continue moving while you slid your thumb over to shoot. Even just having something like this as an alternative method to moving the ship around for those of us who would prefer it. I think the control scheme that's implimented is interesting and appears simple, but in my practice it's actually rather complicated, and makes me feel like I don't have much control over my ship. It's just not overly intuitive or accurate, I guess.

Once they figure out a better controlling scheme, or whenever the handful of us that will look past it and persist in learning them, I'll be a little happier with the purchase. For now, there's been barely anyone on to play with, but I've managed to bang into enough walls to kill myself plenty.