★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Tangrams style games

View Poll Results: Which Tangrams game do you like the best?
Tanzen 19 65.52%
Tangrams Puzzle Pro 9 31.03%
Tangrams 1 3.45%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll
12-07-2008, 12:46 AM
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
Tangrams style games

Which Tangrams game do you like the best? There are 3 big ones and a few small ones currently on the app store.
12-07-2008, 01:23 AM
I have all three, and Tanzen is absolutely the best. The constant updates with puzzle additions certainly don't hurt!

12-07-2008, 03:09 AM
I voted Tangram Puzzle Pro, but I'd like to explain my vote.
Tangram Puzzle Pro is the only Tangrams game I have, and I got it for free.
So my vote is not based on a comparison, it's just based on the fact that I have Tangram Puzzle Pro on my device, it had 360 puzzles (6 packs with 60 puzzles each, each puzzle pack is 5 pages with 12 puzzles each, so you don't have to scroll a lot to get to puzzle 250, you just select puzzle pack 5 and select it), and it works fine for me.

A good thing about Tangram Puzzle Pro is that pieces automatically snap into place if they are close to where they should be.

A downside is that all pieces are hidden when you start a puzzle and you have shake the device to make them appear. If you do this they will appear all at once, you can also slide open a box and then take them out one by one. Taking them out one by one is pretty annoying in my experience, so I use shaking. However, having to shake the device whenever you start a puzzle isn't perfect either, it would be better if you could make all pieces appear by, for example, tapping on the screen with 2 or 3 fingers.

P.S. Since the TanZen developer is active on the TouchArcade forums and you can easily approach him if needed, you might pay extra attention to that game. But that's probably nothing new for you.

Stefan
12-07-2008, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spmwinkel View Post
I voted Tangram Puzzle Pro, but I'd like to explain my vote.
Tangram Puzzle Pro is the only Tangrams game I have, and I got it for free.
So my vote is not based on a comparison, it's just based on the fact that I have Tangram Puzzle Pro on my device, it had 360 puzzles (6 packs with 60 puzzles each, each puzzle pack is 5 pages with 12 puzzles each, so you don't have to scroll a lot to get to puzzle 250, you just select puzzle pack 5 and select it), and it works fine for me.
Hello spmwinkel,

I invite you to try the Lite version of TanZen. It is exactly the same as the full version of TanZen, except with 18 puzzles instead of 378 (soon to be 396 any day now). The Lite version will not give you the full experience of navigating through a bunch of puzzles, but the full version allows you to traverse the entire puzzle list in a small handful of taps, and shows you which pages you've completed at a glance, which are partially done, and which havent been finished at all. It does things differently than the other tangram apps. The current number of puzzles in the full version should take anywhere from 6 hours to many months to finish. There are difficult puzzles, as well as easy. You can flip pieces, and all your progress on any puzzle is saved forever to come back to. You may like TanZen, you may not. But I welcome you to give it a try.
12-07-2008, 03:40 AM
Hi LWBS

I already downloaded the Lite version a while ago but I'll reinstall it and play through the demo levels again. When I first tried it, I already knew I liked Tangrams a bit, but I wasn't sure I was going to *purchase* a Tangrams game, I simply didn't know if I'd play it that much. TPP convinced me that I *do* like to spend time on Tangram puzzles and that they keep being fun. So in the back of my head I already know that when I finish TPP, there's a very good chance I'll purchase TanZen. It just doesn't make much sense for me personally to purchase a game with new Tangram puzzles if I haven't finished the other one yet.

Kudos to you for being here on the forum. I understand the position you're in, you defenitely deserve the money for the time and effort you put in your game. Since a free game is available now, many people will get that, but I do hope that it will get you purchases in the end as well. The TPP developer may be a friendly guy as well, but the simple fact that you're here, chatting with the consumers, does make a difference. On the Pocket PC market, I have contacts with developers and they've received a lot more money and blog posts from me than developers that were less approachable.

I know this reply won't help you much since it will only get you 70% of $0,99 in a few weeks, but your posts and the way you approach people like me, make that I'll purchase TanZen when I finish TPP, and not just replay the TPP puzzles. For what it's worth...

Stefan

Last edited by spmwinkel; 12-07-2008 at 03:44 AM.
12-07-2008, 03:45 AM
By the way, this is why I like explaining my vote in a poll. The discussion that can result from it may be worth more to the topic starter than just the simple vote.

Stefan
12-07-2008, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little White Bear Studios View Post
Hello spmwinkel,

I invite you to try the Lite version of TanZen. It is exactly the same as the full version of TanZen, except with 18 puzzles instead of 378 (soon to be 396 any day now). The Lite version will not give you the full experience of navigating through a bunch of puzzles, but the full version allows you to traverse the entire puzzle list in a small handful of taps, and shows you which pages you've completed at a glance, which are partially done, and which havent been finished at all. It does things differently than the other tangram apps. The current number of puzzles in the full version should take anywhere from 6 hours to many months to finish. There are difficult puzzles, as well as easy. You can flip pieces, and all your progress on any puzzle is saved forever to come back to. You may like TanZen, you may not. But I welcome you to give it a try.
Did YOU vote for TanZen?

I personally love the feel of TanZen, and what makes it even more fun is the constantly updated versions, which add more puzzles and occasional improvements (like the new hint system, which is pretty handy!).
12-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITrocks View Post
Did YOU vote for TanZen?
Nope! No vote from me! I'm genuinely interested in the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITrocks View Post
I personally love the feel of TanZen, and what makes it even more fun is the constantly updated versions, which add more puzzles and occasional improvements (like the new hint system, which is pretty handy!).
I'm glad you're enjoying it! A lot of work went into the feel of the game. I chose a different style of gameplay than all the other tangram games found on the web (there were no iPhone tangrams before TanZen) at the time, as I wanted to create something very natural, instead of computery. Some people do not like that aspect of the game, but many people love it. I am currently working on another game, but I am also adding to TanZen all the time, so expect lots of fun stuff in the future!
12-07-2008, 11:06 AM
I loved the holiday version of tangrams puzzle pro, but tanzen is my fvoroye for everyday use outside of the holidays
12-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little White Bear Studios View Post
Nope! No vote from me! I'm genuinely interested in the results.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! A lot of work went into the feel of the game. I chose a different style of gameplay than all the other tangram games found on the web (there were no iPhone tangrams before TanZen) at the time, as I wanted to create something very natural, instead of computery. Some people do not like that aspect of the game, but many people love it. I am currently working on another game, but I am also adding to TanZen all the time, so expect lots of fun stuff in the future!
i voted for Tanzen, as I like that the pieces don't snap into place, as well as other aspects that he explained.