★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Clear free on Starbucks

05-11-2013, 06:47 AM
#1
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: TA
Posts: 1,839
Clear free on Starbucks



Only for US App Store:

<under construction>

Editor at TouchArchive - Follow us:Twitter Facebook
Games List Tested Join our staff just PM me.
If you want to see your game on our blog,just send us a request.

Last edited by CygnetSeven; 05-11-2013 at 12:24 PM.
05-11-2013, 08:45 AM
#2
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,866
Instead of giving you a link to pirate* Clear from the Starbucks app, warcrack could give y'all a link to the Starbucks app and let you know that if you install it, and make sure notifications are turned on in settings, then you'll get one link for a free app/song/ebook a week delivered automatically to the in-app messages section. Yes, every week, late Tuesday/early Wednesday a push notification is delivered directly to you letting you download this stuff, legally, for free, US accounts only.

Here's a link to the Starbucks app so you don't need posts like the above:




*Edit: My apologies to warcrack for using the term pirate in my original post. It's simply too loaded a word and I should've realized that, especially since warcrack simply copied what someone else had posted elsewhere on the Internet. Sorry for dumping on you and I'll take my lumps for that. Personally, I'd term the link lifted or hacked, which is an unpopular view but not necessarily an inaccurate one. What I mean is the free app is not publicly visible on the Starbucks' website (or twitter or facebook) but comes via their own app and their in-store digital network. I'm actually not against posting the hotlinks, but I believe that you should also credit the source, thus credit their freely-available app too. Yes, that isn't a popular view either, but if the shoe was on the other foot and it was TA's app's hotlink at another site, you'd like the TA app mentioned too.

Last edited by dclose; 05-12-2013 at 07:48 AM.

05-11-2013, 09:16 AM
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclose View Post
Instead of giving you a link to pirate Clear from the Starbucks app, warcrack could give y'all a link to the Starbucks app and let you know that if you install it, and make sure notifications are turned on in settings, then you'll get one link for a free app/song/ebook a week delivered automatically to the in-app messages section. Yes, every week, late Tuesday/early Wednesday a push notification is delivered directly to you letting you download this stuff, legally, for free, US accounts only.

Here's a link to the Starbucks app so you don't need posts like the above:

Uh, wow. People have done these posts for a while. Do you work for Starbucks or something? Some people, like myself, for one reason or another, don't want to download that app or deal with the notifications or whatever. And even if we did, somebody would still post it just to let everyone know what IS free from them at the time. The guy was just trying to help out and you kinda ***t on him... I honestly don't know why you care that people are doing this. It's gong to continue anyway. Kinda rude, dude.
05-11-2013, 09:50 AM
#4
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by repapermunky View Post
Uh, wow. People have done these posts for a while.
Just because someone does something for a "while", doesn't make it right. These links bypass Starbucks' security. They are able to offer these free apps because of the other revenue they get through their own app. Bypassing it puts the viability of their program into question. I know I'd like to see them continue to offer it, and obviously you are deriving a benefit from their generosity too, so you should be supporting them too.

If someone was posting links to cracked software or stuff on torrent sites they'd get called on it too. It's not cool. Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should.

Tell people that Starbucks is offering an app for free: yes.
Give people a link to Starbucks' own app so they can get this stuff for themselves: yes.
Post a hacked link to the stuff instead: no.
05-11-2013, 09:57 AM
#5
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: TA
Posts: 1,839
1.This is not hacked or pirate link.Got from Starbucks Web site.
2.Have people with US account ,not living in USA now,can't use Starbucks App.

Editor at TouchArchive - Follow us:Twitter Facebook
Games List Tested Join our staff just PM me.
If you want to see your game on our blog,just send us a request.
05-11-2013, 10:10 AM
#6
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by warcrack View Post
1.This is not hacked or pirate link.Got from Starbucks Web site.
It is a redirect lifted/intercepted from the notification process. "mobilenotification/getitunesredirect?assetID=277" If you go to www.starbucks.com you will not find this link anywhere on their site. It is a Starbucks link, I agree, but it is not directly, publicly available to anyone just visiting their site. It is available to people using their app, and to those sitting in a Starbucks store, using Starbucks in-store wi-fi network, aka "Starbucks Digital Network".

This pretty much comes down to my ethics are slightly more refined than those who post direct links. So what I ask is if you're going to post these links, then also let folks know about the Starbucks app too. That way people can get these things for themselves if they are able and they so choose, and it's giving credit where credit is due.

Last edited by dclose; 05-11-2013 at 10:26 AM.
05-11-2013, 10:26 AM
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclose View Post
It is a redirect lifted/intercepted from the notification process. "mobilenotification/getitunesredirect?assetID=277" If you go to www.starbucks.com you will not find this link anywhere on their site. It is a Starbucks link, I agree, but it is not directly, publicly available to anyone just visiting their site. It is available to people using their app, and to those sitting in a Starbucks store, using Starbucks in-store wi-fi network, aka "Starbucks Digital Network".
Again, why do you feel the need to be an ass? I for one have the app. Have notifications on. I don't get the notification. My wife,using the same configuration does get them. So the link is useful to some of us.

Starbucks get credit for it. No reason to blast someone who is just being helpful to the community.

Thank you to the OP. Much appreciation.
05-11-2013, 11:18 AM
#8
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,301
So much drama on my free apps!

While I agree with the general idea of dclose, the phrasing is oh so wrong if he expects someone to actually listen and not just react offended. Silly.

Either way thanks for the topic
05-11-2013, 11:28 AM
#9
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamous View Post
While I agree with the general idea of dclose, the phrasing is oh so wrong if he expects someone to actually listen and not just react offended.
Speaking of offended, it's she, not he. Anyway, I've asked nicely in the past and been ignored, so at least being an ass is getting this topic discussed. That's an improvement imho! Hah!

As for Clear, is there any particular reason you use the ringer volume for your sound effects, with no way to turn it off in-app? I always have mine turned up loud so I don't miss calls, and when I use your app it blasts me. Why not just use the regular volume, or have a mute option? Or did I somehow miss the settings menu?
05-11-2013, 11:36 AM
#10
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: The Kᴉll Switch
Posts: 7,324
Warcrack, if you got the link off Starbuck's website, could you change your link to that page instead of bypassing by posting the hotlink. Thank you.