★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: about CHROMIX and Quadrum:words

12-07-2008, 08:13 AM
about CHROMIX and Quadrum:words

Since my latest game Quadrum:colors is released (check it out, it's awesome ), and I was asked by different people, here is the story.

Chromix - this was my very first iPhone game. It's match3 with very unique gameplay mechanics (I know, hard to believe, but it is true ). When I released the game, I was expecting, that the new gameplay and price of .99 will make a lot of people interested in it. I did not realize how clattered the appStore is with cheap and trashy apps. And I have to admit, Chromix looked cheap on screenshots. When you play the game or see the video, you'd realize that everything is dynamic and alive, and the game is solid, but I guess most of the people were thinking "cheap MSPaint graphics", and did not even want to try it.
So, after being in the appStore for a few weeks, I had like one sale in 2 days on average. I don't think any updates would really improve the situation. The looks and graphics would pretty much need to be redone, which would mean a new game (like Chromix 2, which actually is coming soon).
So, money-wice it did not make any cense to have the game in the store. And then, everybody complains, how trashed the appStore is, so I decided to do a good thing and clean it up a little. I think all the developers should do the same. When your app is not really selling, just remove it. We put the stuff there, why don't we clean it up as well? Actually, I think it should happen automatically (if app gets less than X downloads in a month - Apple should just remove it).

Quadrum:words - a little different story. This was my second game. It looked much better than Chromix, could sell with screenshots. Upon release some people start saying the game is a clone of another words game on appStore. I did not see/play this other game while developing Q:W, but apparetly yes, it turned out to be quite similar in some aspects. And then I received a scary letter from the lawyer of the developer of this other game, saying I should remove it or get sued for damages of $100000. Later I actually had talks with some real humans from this company, and they turned out to be not that bad, even giving me some suggestions on how to change my game, so it would not collide with theirs. Meanwhile, the game was free on appStore for approx a week. It was number 5 in the words games category. So, I made it $.99, and was expecting to get some good sales at least in the beginning, while in the top. But was really surprised to find out it was selling 10 units a day or so. So, considering all this, I decided just to remove the game from the store. Initially my plan was to make another word game based on Q:W, but in the process it turned out to be Quadrum:colors (great game, you should get it now )

So, this is the story. Sorry, it's too long, but I thought many of you will find it interesting. Just to close it up:

>Devs: PLEASE, don't act like a big corporation when there is some problem with other developer. Just write an e-mail, very possibly it all will be settled in nice way.
And, the most important: ideas are free, it's pretty much impossible to patent gameplay. If somebody is using same gameplay as you, it does not mean they steal it from you.

>Players: support independent devs, so you get more games developed not because marketing guys said "this will sale", but because the developer is really passioned about the game.

Kirill
12-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Man bummer. I wish u would make q:w based on the new quadrum colors and the old quadrum words. I was a beta tested of quadrum colors and I agree with him: buy it. I will when I get paid. Oh and krill: stop removing games because they don't sell. Abandon them I guess but apple does not charge for having the game on the app store do they?

I'M ON A MAC MOTHAF*@%!

Cloudcell, Plus+, Baseball Slugger, TTR: dannys95

12-07-2008, 11:53 AM
I don't know that I agree with you on removing games. People did buy Chromix (I bought it at 0.99) and I am not sure I like the idea of paying for it again when you release 'Chromix 2' assuming that the improvements are something which would make the game better for me. That seems a little dishonest. Better to update the game you have already and that way you can attract new customers but you aren't punishing the people who bought it already. Part of being serious as a developer is sticking with it, even if your game didn't sell as much as you'd hoped. You have a responsibility to those customers who already did support you, even if this is not as many customers as you might prefer.
12-07-2008, 01:42 PM
I don't think you should have taken down Chromix. It was a really interesting game. I can see why people would be turned off by the graphics. But graphics aren't everything. Screenshots don't give a good sample of what the game is really like. I hope Chromix 2 is successful.
12-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Can I see a gameplay video of Q:C?
12-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualAlex View Post
there is a quadrum colors thread and there is a vid there check on pages 2 or 3

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago
12-08-2008, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualAlex View Post
here is the video of Quadrum:Colors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqahsq8CkTw

and here is the thread on release (there are some comments/details):
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=1729
12-08-2008, 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I don't know that I agree with you on removing games. People did buy Chromix (I bought it at 0.99) and I am not sure I like the idea of paying for it again when you release 'Chromix 2' assuming that the improvements are something which would make the game better for me. That seems a little dishonest. Better to update the game you have already and that way you can attract new customers but you aren't punishing the people who bought it already. Part of being serious as a developer is sticking with it, even if your game didn't sell as much as you'd hoped. You have a responsibility to those customers who already did support you, even if this is not as many customers as you might prefer.
I totally disagree. Chromix2 will be a new game. EVERYTHING will be redone. It's not like updating some menu pictures and release it as a new game. It's changing the whole rendering from flat to 3D, adding particle effects, etc. So, it is a NEW game event though gameplay core mechanics will be same. I think it's very honest to release it as a new game.
Being serious as developer is not about sticking to something which does not sell. If product on some reason is that un-attractive to customers (not you personally, but generally) - updates will not change much, it needs to be totally redone - meaning there will be new product.
12-08-2008, 06:59 AM
I was thinking to get this game, but I hadn't seen any video until now. However, reading this post means to me that if there are some bugs, you are not going to update it. You are going to sell it again. I'll pass until all of it is clreared. I am sorry but this post is a big alert alarm. I know it is 1 dollar, but I just don't want to be part of it.
12-08-2008, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by organerito View Post
I was thinking to get this game, but I hadn't seen any video until now. However, reading this post means to me that if there are some bugs, you are not going to update it. You are going to sell it again. I'll pass until all of it is clreared. I am sorry but this post is a big alert alarm. I know it is 1 dollar, but I just don't want to be part of it.
Please, read the topic again. With all respect, you didn't understand what happened and what is happening now.