★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Samurai Battle - great game!

12-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Samurai Battle - great game!

Has anyone tried this game?
To be honest, I didn't expect much looking at the icon and screenshots, but I gave the free version a try anyway, and surprisingly it was very fun!

Try the Battle mode. It's like bejeweled with strategy, so instead of just doing the match-3 blindly, we must plan our moves: whether to attack, heal, etc against your opponent.

In the full version, you seem to be able to recruit army to strengthen, conquer enemy's nations, etc.

If only it had multiplayer, it would be awesome!

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=298414630&mt=8

ps: The music reminds me of classic Koei games, The Romance of Three Kingdoms... ah sweet memory.
12-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Haha yes, there's a thread on this already. Loads of people like it, including me! I think it's a great game, and will probably give Puzzle Quest a run for their money if they have the right marketing..if not, Puzzle Quest will just own, because of its hype and fame on other consoles. Samurai Puzzle Battle was a new entry, and i don't think they'll be able to compete unless they get more publicity. So spread the news!

12-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
ooopss sorry, should've searched it first.
How can I delete this thread? (there's no delete button in first post edit).
12-07-2008, 01:53 PM
They need better controls if they want to compete with Puzzle Quest.

I was unable to click on the locations in the tutorial while driving in a bus for example. It only works if you are very careful. Sliding moves are also standard for that kind of games on a touch screen. In Samurai Battle you have to tap twice.

The graphics could use some improvement too. And maybe add some kind of statistics or story at the end of the game. I won my first game on easy and it just jumps back to the main screen after the final battle. No "You have won", no story, nothing.

If they improve all those things (I doubt, because it's a cheap PDA port), the game would be a clear 5* must buy. In the current state, I can only give a 3* rating.
12-07-2008, 02:18 PM
I agree that they need better controls. Most of these kinds of games have some sort of sliding motion, which is great. The game is such that you click one tile, then the tile you want to switch it with. If you click the tile again, it cancels its selection. This gets pretty annoying, since if you click one tile but don't switch it with another, but move onto another tile, then things just get all mixed up. Yuck.

The graphics certainly could stand to be better, but I think for the purposes of the game, they're still fine.

Overall, I think this game is pretty fun though, and a certainly a suitable alternative to Puzzle Quest. The Risk-like aspect to it is great, something that actually makes the game a lot more fun - at least for me - than Puzzle Quest, where if you lose, nothing really happens. I also feel that this game is more difficult than Puzzle Quest, and the battles are more technical, if that makes any sense. I'd give this game a 3.5/5 - definitely worth a try at least. It's just a shame that the Lite version doesn't offer any taste of the Risk aspects - I think that'd drive a lot more people into seeing what's so great about this game.
12-07-2008, 02:39 PM
This is my "most played" game at the moment and I really like it. The controls don't bother me too much... yes, I've hit the wrong button and have made the wrong switch and the slide would be great, but it's not even close to a deal breaker for me.

The graphics are also fine. They're not too much below PQ.

I agree about the ending... I was shocked that there wasn't even a "well done" screen. Should be an easy update fix.

The only thing I'd really like to see is a way to upgrade your army. It would be great to have something like a really powerful army of mechanical spiders to unleash on a tower. Right now to beat a tower you have to have a Hero with you. That's cool, but when you've already got a bunch of other armies in the way you have to keep sending them at the tower like lambs to slaughter until you've clear the way for the hero.

Pluses and minuses when compared to Puzzle Quest, but all in all a fun game that has more than paid for itself. If you like this type of game don't even bother with the "lite" version". The game is much better than that.
12-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnadenlos View Post
They need better controls if they want to compete with Puzzle Quest.

I was unable to click on the locations in the tutorial while driving in a bus for example
1 ---dont play games while driving a bus
2 --- Once you learn each units strengths and weakness' you play the game differently ---sometimes its ---crap i have to use up those purple thingies before the enemy does cause its gunna hurt me or wait ---- I have to use these tiles up instead cause this unit does massive damage with them.

The strategy here beats puzzle quest ..... now I am a huge PQ fan ----have it on 3 consoles (XBOX,WII, DS,PSP and computer) but this adds a little something ---yeah you cant cast spells but this game took the spells out and added weakness and strenght strategy ----a 5 in my book ---could use some better graphics ---if it does PQ fans will gobble it up.
12-07-2008, 02:51 PM
whats up with the duplicates lately?
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...hlight=samurai

But since I got no answers in the other thread maybe I can't get some here.
I just wonder whats a solid strategy to use and where lies each units strength and weakness?
12-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Yeah, what would be a good strategy? The game has been getting more fun for me as I've been figuring out how to play, but I still get chumped by those random heroes wandering around.