★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Which Game Will Be The 1st $19.99 Premium Game?

07-15-2009, 04:03 AM
Which Game Will Be The 1st $19.99 Premium Game?

With the prospect of the larger companies being allowed to put premium games out at $19.99 which company/game do you reckon will become the first to do this and do you think it will be worth it?
07-15-2009, 04:23 AM
Originally Posted by THE STUD View Post
With the prospect of the larger companies being allowed to put premium games out at $19.99 which company/game do you reckon will become the first to do this and do you think it will be worth it?
At the moment I don't believe in $19.99 premium games anymore. Look at what you can get for $0.99, I don't think you can improve x20 on that. Look at what you can get for $9.99. You'd need to make the most of the 3GS and spend a good year in development to make an app twice as good. So if these games will be coming, it'll be another year. There aren't enough 3GS around yet, and such games wouldn't play or play well enough on the older hardware.

Playing: Solipskier, Edge, Ground Effect, Bobble Surfer, Minigore, 2012 Zombies vs Aliens, iSR, Pocket God, Slotz, Zen Bound 2, Crazy Snowboard, Vector Tank, ...

07-15-2009, 04:47 AM
It can be!

You can do that by contact all 100 game company then make a game pack like DS Effect!

100 in 1 for just 19.99 it a steal.
(Expect the file size to be over 1 GB to.)

Game are meant to play for fun...not pay for fun.

my developer blog

Running From The Dead
Gameplay Video
07-15-2009, 04:52 AM
There are many $19.99 games but most give you the x godfather, mobster, playmesh, racing etc. points.

When you see how good Rolando 2, Sims 3 etc. are as well as other games at cheaper prices there is nothing that would sell well at $20.

Occasional Reviewer on ThePortableGamer
Official Reviewer on Razorianfly
Originally Posted by Dead Space Girl
It was like the other day I went to MarthaStewart.com's forums for advice on how to program my new T-89 graphing calculator and well, let's just say no one there was very helpful.
07-15-2009, 05:04 AM
I doubt it since there's not much people see the iDevice as a serious gaming platform, even me myself is unaware of its "gaming capabilities" until I owned it for a good few days.

I'm willing to pay up to 20 bucks if the game prove itself worthy in term of its story, length and gameplay. Considering of the price, anything fall short of perfection at initial release is unacceptable.
07-15-2009, 05:51 AM
I have no problem paying whatever the price is, as long as the game is worth the price. I feel guilty paying .99 for some of these apps. They get more play than any of my consoles and 60$ games.

plus+: dHustead
PSN: dHustead
XBL: dHustead
07-15-2009, 07:20 AM
Don't you think this will happen "thru the back door"? i.e. purchase a game, and after all the additional level pack purchases and say "weapon" purchases etc thru the in app purchases, an app like "KillTest" (whatever) will endup eating $20+ dollars... just us watch and see....
07-15-2009, 07:21 AM
Are you suggesting that buying 20 $0.99 games isn't "premium" enough with all the sales going on?

Games, games, games..
GameCenter ID: GkCHN
Add me! :]
07-15-2009, 08:05 AM
The first one will be if Square Enix ever ports over on of their heavy hitters of FF or DQ

If at first you don't succeed... you have 2 more lives to get it right!
07-15-2009, 08:05 AM

WOW it seems like no one even anwsered the question. I wish Chinatown wars would come to the iphone. That should be a 20 dollar game in all honesty. if its a exact port of the DS version in its entirety with updated Graphics i would pay 30 dollars. Why should i expect to pay less just becuz its on a different platform even though its completely the same. You cant use the excuse its a cell phone. regardless the content amount justifies 35 dollars on DS and soon 35-40$ on psp in fall i would not expect to pay less for the same content. if its less thats a plus. Thats me i'm a hardcore gamer especially iphone gamer who really wants the device to suceed in the handheld war. Its sad iphone gamers are so damn CHEAP.

Last edited by Militia; 07-15-2009 at 08:45 AM.