★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Which do you prefer TBS or TD or Defence Game?

View Poll Results: Which of the 3 Options do you think would be a good idea?
Option 1: Turn Based Strategy 19 38.78%
Option 2: Tower Defence 19 38.78%
Option 3: Hybrid Defence Game 11 22.45%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll
07-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Send a message via MSN to Jyaw3
Which do you prefer TBS or TD or Defence Game?

Alright so I'm trying to figure out what I want to attempt for a 3rd game so I'm looking here for any advice/insight.

Option 1: Turn Based Strategy - Something along the lines of Heroes of Might and Magic/Advance Wars/Fire Emblem

Option 2: Tower Defence (yes,I'm listing this as a genre) - Still a couple things I haven't seen done that I kind of want to try

Option 3: Defence type game - So...something like a TD, build stuff, but no fixed path and no mazing, essentially it will be build your defences such that the enemy doesn't get past you.

So I'm just curious what you guys think would be cool and your reasons why. I'm well aware you might not understand or like option 3 since it's not described very well =)

Josh Yaw - www.subtractionstudios.com
iPhone/iPod Touch Games
2 Block - Released! July 23
Fridger - Released Oct 6!
07-15-2009, 12:48 PM
im sick of all the mediocre TD games, so I had to vote for TBS, even though its not my favorite genre

07-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Have to agree with SoCal_Sponger, though I would probably wait till Rogue Planet comes out before embarking on a TBS game -- you probably want to take a different approach so as to not get overshadowed by what will likely be a very popular game.
07-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Send a message via MSN to Jyaw3
So reason for not picking TD is just cause there's too many that lack quality? or rather it's over done?

is something "new/different" a big on peoples list for a reason to buy/try a game?

Josh Yaw - www.subtractionstudios.com
iPhone/iPod Touch Games
2 Block - Released! July 23
Fridger - Released Oct 6!
07-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyaw3 View Post
So reason for not picking TD is just cause there's too many that lack quality? or rather it's over done?

is something "new/different" a big on peoples list for a reason to buy/try a game?
Both. I'm not a big fan of TD games, but it seems to me that the territory is, by now, well worn. The advantage of taking that route is that there's already something of an established fan base for TD games, though you'd think that at this point they're probably pretty jaded -- you would have to create something very different/special to be able to rise above the din. The TBS space seems less populated at the moment, so I think your chance of getting some attention is probably higher. In any event, there are far too many mediocre games of all genres in the App Store; seems like the most important issue is to make yours as good and polished as possible. And then market the hell out of it.
07-15-2009, 01:48 PM
There are enough TD gosh..I mean what new elements can you add? What's been though of has pretty much all been made. Make some better TBS games xD hahah there aren't too many of those, and pretty much only 3 even worth mentioning.

Twitter: @back2this
07-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Vanguard Storm is kind of what I'd call a hybrid TD. It's a good mixture. And it's pretty fun.
I basically voted hybrid, because I like TD and TBS about the same.

Recent purchases: Pac man CE, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, Mecho Wars, and Chaos Rings.
Upcoming Games I plan to get: Splinter Cell, GoF2
07-15-2009, 04:33 PM
I don't get what "dfense game" is
07-15-2009, 04:45 PM
I vote for them all. Regardless of how many TD games there are on the App store, its easy to sift out the ones that pretty much suck, from the ones that are well worth it. When you do that, there is a decent handful of good ones, but the number significantly decreases. There is still, in my opinion, always room for something new and inventive, and that goes for any genre of gaming.

I love tower defence games. The strategy of them are addicting, and yeah they can get old, but so can any genre. But thats why I warmly welcome, and challenge devs to rise above! As long as it's good, I am going to get it most likely.

The iDevices could always use a great TBS, as there really isnt a whole lot of good ones, especially ones with RPG elements like Final Fantasy Tactics, Fire Emblem, etc. I like the ones they have out like Advanced Wars, but I really want a FFT kind of one.

And they hybrid idea you mention: bring it on. It's what I voted for (since we can only choose one). I don't understand 100% what you mean, but make it interesting. And good luck brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelperMonkey View Post
Conservatives hate liberals because they think that liberals think they're stupid.

Liberals hate conservatives because they think that they're stupid.
Win.
07-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by booch138 View Post
i vote for them all. Regardless of how many td games there are on the app store, its easy to sift out the ones that pretty much suck, from the ones that are well worth it. When you do that, there is a decent handful of good ones, but the number significantly decreases. There is still, in my opinion, always room for something new and inventive, and that goes for any genre of gaming.

I love tower defence games. The strategy of them are addicting, and yeah they can get old, but so can any genre. But thats why i warmly welcome, and challenge devs to rise above! As long as it's good, i am going to get it most likely.

The idevices could always use a great tbs, as there really isnt a whole lot of good ones, especially ones with rpg elements like final fantasy tactics, fire emblem, etc. I like the ones they have out like advanced wars, but i really want a fft kind of one.

And they hybrid idea you mention: Bring it on. It's what i voted for (since we can only choose one). I don't understand 100% what you mean, but make it interesting. And good luck brother.
ftw!

Twitter: @back2this