★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Hungry Hippo (NOT Classic MB Game) FREE!

07-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Hungry Hippo (NOT Classic MB Game) FREE!

I think I just scanned right past this when it initially came out assuming it was some iphone adaptation of this:

But actually it a totally innovative twisty puzzler by Spokko, maker of Light Wars!

iTunes link FREE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Description
Hippo had a terrible dream. A real nightmare...

It all started when he got lost lost on his way home. He couldnt find a way back for days, started starving... Was so hungry he could barely walk when he found a restaurant next to a river. It was closed but he found a way to the kitchen storage and my, oh my - it was food heaven!

The nightmare turned into the best dream he ever had. After all - what's better for a Hippo than infinite amount of delicious food?

Help Hippo eat as much as he can but don't let anything fall on his head or he wakes up and the dream is over... Don't let this dream end

---

- Hand-drawn graphics

- A unique twist on the classic Tetris game

- Online highscore board for you to compare with others all around the world

---

For more information visit our website at:
http://www.spokko.com
I have only played it briefly and gameplay is pretty cute with some depth to it's combination scoring. The real basic gist of the game is pushing buttons to move left, up, or right (you'll automatically start falling after a few second if there is nothing under your feet) while you try to power your way through freaky food items (run into) without any food stuff falling on your head. I see there are bonuses for eating the same items multiple times in a row and, as simplistic as the game sounds, you really need to plan out your moves wisely if you don't want to get squashed (they cleverly left out a down button so there is no simple "running quickly out of the way").

Your hunger knows not the word "retreat"!

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
07-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Downloading now

memory cards

07-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Whoa, that looks completely bonkers.
And I thought Hungry Hippo was crazy enough.

I think I'll save myself the downloading time and pass on this one though.
The sprites look pretty low res and look like they have been pulled straight off google images. Seems sort of Khalid Saikh like.

Hakuna Matata
07-15-2009, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
Whoa, that looks completely bonkers.
And I thought Hungry Hippo was crazy enough.

I think I'll save myself the downloading time and pass on this one though.
The sprites look pretty low res and look like they have been pulled straight off google images. Seems sort of Khalid Saikh like.
Yeah, not claiming this was anywhere near as polished as Light Wars, but it's still pretty fun and original.

My iTunes Reviews
07-18-2009, 09:29 AM
This is a side-project that MikeSz did with his girlfriend ( she is learning photoshop )
It shouldn't be considered a polished spokko game, since it isn't one.
07-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolism_spokko View Post
This is a side-project that MikeSz did with his girlfriend ( she is learning photoshop )
It shouldn't be considered a polished spokko game, since it isn't one.
I like the basic mechanics here, perhaps you can make a sequel or something with much more polish and sell it for something more than $0?

My iTunes Reviews
07-18-2009, 10:29 AM
well i cant say no to to a free app
07-18-2009, 08:00 PM
LordGek -> this may happen, however we have other projects prioritized.
07-21-2009, 01:46 AM
didn't see the thread before

as Toolism said - it is not a full "spokko game", though his attitude ain't too nice on that one...

I made this game with my girlfriend and all the game sprites (not backgrounds and fonts) are hand-drawn by her. they are NOT taken from google, in fact the very tablet they were made on is beside me atm. and no, it was not even made in Photoshop but some rather crappy app added to Wacom Bamboo tablet

it is small game, made in just a few days while working on Light Wars at the same time. so understandably there isn't too much depth in it

well, after all my girlfriend had fun and that's all that matters, isn't it ?
07-21-2009, 02:27 AM
it's not a bad game... i don't know if save kitty is a "full spokko game" but I find this one much better.