Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-18-2013, 05:35 PM

Default Battlestone™ - (by Zynga Inc.) [Universal]

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by killercow; 05-23-2013 at 03:26 PM..
Old 05-19-2013, 02:05 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Woah!!
App is initially around 120mb but downloads additional content of 600mb!

Played a bit and can already see mean IAP lurking in the distance... or grinding like a millstone.
A pity, cause the game is beautiful, very polished and gameplay really cool.

Had quite some stutters and hiccups on my iPhone 5, btw., framerate broke in a few times. But that could be because of the downloading content.

Game seems to have several currencies, I saw like four. Coins, gems, battlestones and stars. It also has timers - or energy potions - you need to fight.

Dunno how all turns out and if my assumptions are correct, because I've already deleted it.

Last edited by Vovin; 05-19-2013 at 04:58 AM..
Old 05-19-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Woah!!
App is initially around 120mb but downloads additional content of 600mb!

Played a bit and can already see mean IAP lurking in the distance... or grinding like a millstone.
A pity, cause the game is beautiful, very polished and gameplay really cool.

Had quite some stutters and hiccups on my iPhone 5, btw., framerate broke in a few times. But that could be because of the downloading content.

Game seems to have several currencies, I saw like four. Coins, gems, battlestones and stars. It also has timers - or energy potions - you need to fight.

Dunno how all turns out and if my assumptions are correct, because I've already deleted it.
I know the currency and timer systems looks bad, but they're actually nowhere near as aggressive as I expected. I played this for quite a while yesterday and didn't run afoul of a timer until I'd almost finished the third map, which is about 20 levels or so. The only other timer comes in when you summon new heroes, but that one doesn't get in the way of actual gameplay.

As to the currencies, the only one that you don't generate through gameplay are the gems, which are used to skip timers, summon "super" and "ultimate" heroes, and to insta-heal your heroes in battle. So far I haven't found any of these actions to be necessary -- more like cheats than actual game mechanics.

As to the actual gameplay, Battlestone strikes me as a fun, fast-paced mash up of Diablo, Pokemon, and Battleheart. There's an actual (if cliched) story, which takes you through a series of maps to fight "The Void" across a variety of mission-types. Unlike Battleheart you control a single hero at a time, using taps to move and swipes to attack. The action plays on real time and requires precision and quick reflexes. You can switch heroes on the fly; it's in the hero management that the game resembles Pokemon. You use Battlestones that you earn in combat to summon heroes, which you then level up, merge, and upgrade. Using the right hero in the right situation is a big part of the tactics involved in the gameplay. So far I've encounters three main classes (Mage, archer, and warrior), but each seems to have subclasses that bring different but related abilities -- for example, rogues are quicker than rangers, but rangers seem to be hardier: both are archers.

Visually the game is pretty impressive, though the combat maps do share assets, which is to be expected but still a bit disappointing. The heroes have dynamic shadows (at least on an iPhone 5) and the character animation is generally good. Attack and spell effects are pretty impressive, too -- I love my mage's blizzard and ice wall spells.

As should be clear from my comments, I'm really enjoying the game. Time will tell whether the IAP system will bring the whole thing down, but so far the game is perfectly playable without spending a dime, and I have yet to use any of the initially allotted gems (except for the ones you get in the tutorial). I'll report further if I run into a paywall...
Old 05-19-2013, 08:27 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Strange, then I must be doing something wrong. I grinded for a while and was at the start of the third map - and lost every damn fight. Those ravagers two-hitted me sometimes. So I grinded even more. I upgraded my weapon several times and also got an uncommon mage, who got 3 fuses and some level ups... still it was damn hard to win. Even with character switches for a few rounds they always handed my butt over to me.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Strange, then I must be doing something wrong. I grinded for a while and was at the start of the third map - and lost every damn fight. Those ravagers two-hitted me sometimes. So I grinded even more. I upgraded my weapon several times and also got an uncommon mage, who got 3 fuses and some level ups... still it was damn hard to win. Even with character switches for a few rounds they always handed my butt over to me.
I've beat every level of the third map except the boss one -- and I got close before hitting the energy limit. The key, I think is keeping your character in motion, using double taps. My rogue rarely gets hit, and my mage can blink out of a tight spot easily. I'm using my warrior to mop up after the rogue and mage. I should note that I've done zero grinding, just gone from level to level. I'll play the boss level again today to see if I can beat it this time -- perhaps that's the paywall for me...

UPDATE: Just beat the boss level in one go. No paywall, yet .

Last edited by squarezero; 05-19-2013 at 09:28 AM..
Old 05-19-2013, 12:05 PM
iPhone 4S

Zynga may have a hit here..

*wishes it was out already*

Old 05-19-2013, 12:19 PM

Strange,

I'm from Canada, but I do not see this on the App Store.

I tried searching Battlestone and Battle Stone with no luck.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemineye62 View Post
Strange,

I'm from Canada, but I do not see this on the App Store.

I tried searching Battlestone and Battle Stone with no luck.
It's on there. I found it with the search you put in. You can always look up any zynga game and click the other apps by this developer to find it.

I, like Vovin, deleted it already. I'm not a fan of wait timers / energy needed to enter levels. Didn't give it a very long go after seeing that.
It usually means you don't have to wait at first to get you into the game then becomes an issue.
I'll have to see what SZ says as he gets further in the game to see if my assumptions are correct. He's already further than I'd made it.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:43 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

I'm to tempted to see what it's like. Downloading.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobunaga View Post
It's on there. I found it with the search you put in. You can always look up any zynga game and click the other apps by this developer to find it.

I, like Vovin, deleted it already. I'm not a fan of wait timers / energy needed to enter levels. Didn't give it a very long go after seeing that.
It usually means you don't have to wait at first to get you into the game then becomes an issue.
I'll have to see what SZ says as he gets further in the game to see if my assumptions are correct. He's already further than I'd made it.
Again, don't blame anyone for being wary: this is Zynga, after all. I also tend to have less of a problem with wait timers, since I rarely play a game for hours at a time. But as someone who fairly quickly deleted games like Real Racing 3 and Injustice, I can tell you that the wait system on this one is nowhere near as onerous -- yet, anyway.