★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: SpeedQUEST Is Out!

07-15-2009, 03:29 PM
SpeedQUEST Is Out!

App Store Link

Quote:
SpeedQUEST is a fast-paced Action Role Playing Game that brings the brilliant mix of skill and timing of puzzle games to the RPG world. Battle foes, collect gold, and race the clock in the fast-paced single player mode or battle your friends and family in one of the 3 different split-screen multiplayer modes on one iPhone or IPod Touch. Keep track of your single player high scores and compete with your friends.

Features:

- SINGLE PLAYER
- MULTIPLAYER (SPLIT-SCREEN ON SINGLE iPHONE OR iPOD TOUCH
- 3 DIFFERENT MULTIPLAYER MODES
- HIGH SCORES

Visit: speedquest.idstulsa.com for information about upcoming updates to SpeedQUEST and to view the coming soon SpeedQUEST gameplay videos.

I've only had the opportunity to play one quick game of this so far, but from what I've played I think I'm really going to like it. The game is really fast paced, and it's nice for when you want the feeling of a dungeon crawl game but don't have the time for a full blown "stats & experience" type affair. The graphics are pretty decent (they actually look better than the screen shots let on), and it has an interesting looking multiplayer mode.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
07-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Hmm, I was thinking about passing on this one for three bones. At first, I thought it was like Loot Master, but it looks more like card play? When you play it a little more, please leave more info. Thanks!

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL

07-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Even though I've only played once, I can give you the basics of how the game works. You're presented with a series of areas like the one in the first screen. The boxes with a yellow border are ones that can be interacted with. Within these boxes will be one of several objects, including a monster, a locked door, a treasure chest and a pile of straw (there may be others, but these are the ones I remember so far). Click on a door, treasure chest or pile of straw once and whatever is in / behind that object will be revealed. For treasure chests and straw piles, any items contained within must be clicked on again to actually be taken (I kept forgetting to do that last night). Sometimes the straw piles will contain traps, in which case your health will be deducted and you move on. Behind the doors are prisoners, and again you must click on them a second time to free them.

Combat has three elements: sword, bow and magic. Some monsters can only be killed with the bow, some only with the sword, and some with magic. Others can be killed via multiple methods, but the amount of damage each method does depends on the creature. You select a method of attack from the icons at the top of the screen, and the click on the monster you wish to attack. Most monsters take multiple hits, so keep clicking until they are dead. Note that monsters WILL attack while you are gathering loot, so it's a good idea to get rid of monsters first. You also need to keep in mind that each area is timed. You don't have to finish everything in an area to move on to the next, but good strategy sometimes means sacrificing a treasure chest for a door, for example.

For me the game went until I died. I'm not sure if there's a definitive number of levels or not, but I'd imagine that even if you don't die the game ends at some point. From my one play through last night I can say that it will get hectic as more of the squares in a given area are occupied. But then, that's half the fun of the game (and probably why it's called speedQUEST

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
07-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Hey from Developer of SpeedQuest

Hey all,

My name is Kole and I created SpeedQuest. I will keep an eye on this forum and try to respond as much as possible to any questions.

I am currently heavy into developing SpeedQuest 2. Keep an eye on its website for more information:

http://speedquest2.idstulsa.com

I designed SpeedQuest by myself, and let me tell you iPhone development alone can be pretty heavy duty work. I love video games and I love designing them.

So bring on the questions and let me know how I can make SpeedQuest better for ya'll.

There is a gameplay video for SpeedQuest on YouTube here.

Last edited by danielkoleX; 07-15-2009 at 04:18 PM.
07-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Welcome to the forum. I started playing this last night, and it's pretty enjoyable. I'll have to dig into it more, but it does provide a quick-paced game. Will SpeedQuest 2 be a separate game?
07-15-2009, 04:28 PM
SpeedQuest 2 will be a stand alone game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
Welcome to the forum. I started playing this last night, and it's pretty enjoyable. I'll have to dig into it more, but it does provide a quick-paced game. Will SpeedQuest 2 be a separate game?
SpeedQuest 2 will be a stand alone game. It will bring the following features:

- At least 3 new character classes (Mage can be seen on the SpeedQuest 2 website)
- Each new class will have their own unique weapons
- Tons of new tilesets and tiles to discover and master
- New monsters, traps, etc.
- New Singleplayer modes
- New Multiplayer modes

Daniel Kole
Creator of SpeedQuest (iPhone Game)
Currently developing SpeedQuest 2
07-16-2009, 08:13 AM
SpeedQuest is now $0.99

With the announcement of SpeedQuest 2, I have decided to lower the price of SpeedQuest to $0.99.

So try it out and give me tons of feedback so that I can make SpeedQuest 2 a game that everyone will love.

And ask any questions you like!

Enjoy!

- Kole

Daniel Kole
07-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Its good to see the developer online. :-)

I played SpeedQuest a bit this morning. Fun game. 'Gets my heart beating!

A few suggestions:
- It'd be great if the training quest gave you some training - maybe display basic help about the game so you can get a good start at it. I know its not a difficult game to understand, but it took me a few games to figure out what was going on. :-)
- Phew, even the normal game is VERY challenge (for me anyway). Maybe take it down a notch?
- I'd like the option to move the weapon buttons (and magic and health orbs) to the bottom of the screen. That way I can still see the playing field when I switch attack types.

Thanks for taking suggestions, and for a nice game! :-)
07-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiemac View Post
Its good to see the developer online. :-)

I played SpeedQuest a bit this morning. Fun game. 'Gets my heart beating!

A few suggestions:
- It'd be great if the training quest gave you some training - maybe display basic help about the game so you can get a good start at it. I know its not a difficult game to understand, but it took me a few games to figure out what was going on. :-)
- Phew, even the normal game is VERY challenge (for me anyway). Maybe take it down a notch?
- I'd like the option to move the weapon buttons (and magic and health orbs) to the bottom of the screen. That way I can still see the playing field when I switch attack types.

Thanks for taking suggestions, and for a nice game! :-)

Thank you so much for your suggestions jackiemac! I really enjoy hearing from people who have played the game.

I have added a Tutorial Mode to the SpeedQuest 2 to-do list. I will look into moving the weapons to below the game board. I do think they may be a little far to reach in the crazy rush of the game.

Working on SpeedQuest has been my American dream come true. Since I was like 10 I have worked with computer graphics and dabbled in programming. I am so grateful to Apple for providing a pretty easy way to both create games and see them offered to the world.

Keep the suggestions and comments coming!

- Kole

Daniel Kole
07-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Can we heal?

Instructions say to keep an eye on your health or u die, but I don't see how we heal our characters. I do see potions dropping, however, drinking seems auto.

Last edited by Danzach; 07-16-2009 at 01:01 PM.