★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Lead your heroes to victory! Solara is an epic fantasy strategy game where you build a mighty castle, recruit brave heroes, slay ferocious monsters and dragons, and battle other players around the world!

Features
- Build a mighty castle teeming with shops, taverns, weaponsmiths, and magical planetariums.
- Recruit Rusty the Footman, Luna the Ranger, Zora the Mage, and 15 more brave and lovable heroes.
- Fight against giant Tentacles, angry Treants, wheezing Dragons, and 80 other ferocious monsters.
- Choose the right hero combinations to vanquish powerful bosses with unique strengths and weaknesses.
- Embark on an epic and whimsical adventure spanning over 300 quests and 50 levels.
- Battle other players around the world in the Arena for gold and glory.

Note: Network connection is required to play.

luxiou's comments:

Developer: Esper Labs
Available Now! (Free Universal App)

iTunes link:
https://itunes.apple.com/app/solara/id568939854

Lead your heroes to victory! Solara is a fantasy sim/strategy game where you build a mighty castle, recruit brave heroes, slay ferocious monsters and dragons, and battle other players around the world.

Battles are party-based (up to 4 heroes/monsters per side) and are fully animated - you can see and hear every sword swing, poison arrow, and meatball meteor explosion.

Strategy revolves around figuring out which heroes work best together against different combinations of monsters. In addition to being challenging and rewarding, this gives Solara an element of depth that sets it apart from the sea of existing sim games!

Over 80 hand-painted structures to build.

18 different heroes with unique abilities.

LOTS and LOTS of monsters.

PvP with a matchmaking and ladder ranking system.

Available now!
05-21-2013, 11:40 PM
Sharing between iPhone & iPad

If I start playing on my iPhone can I continue on my iPad?

05-22-2013, 11:54 AM
I grabbed this and it looks cool - I like tower building - but the battle aspect seems to be kind of.. pointless? You don't actually participate, you watch, and can skip it altogether. I've only played this a few minutes, hopefully there's more to it.
05-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Hi Enriana,

Thanks for trying out the game. The battles in the beginning of the game are indeed meant to be easy, but as you progress further the monsters you fight will be stronger and will have special abilities and attributes. You'll need to start tailoring your party to counter the monsters' strengths and exploit their weaknesses.
05-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxiou View Post
Hi Enriana,

Thanks for trying out the game. The battles in the beginning of the game are indeed meant to be easy, but as you progress further the monsters you fight will be stronger and will have special abilities and attributes. You'll need to start tailoring your party to counter the monsters' strengths and exploit their weaknesses.
Oh, that's good to hear! Thanks for the reply, I'll play some more and post impressions when I have them. It does seem promising.

And hello, always cool to see devs in the forum!
05-22-2013, 03:16 PM
I played till the first pay wall ~ level 5. I chose to upgrade the two main heros that I've been using, a knight and an archer. So that ate up most of the food available.

My impressions:

I don't see the correlation to pokemon with this game. I haven't seen the option to collect any of the monsters that I have fought. The heroes that join me all seem to be castle level based and only join me after building a structure that is locked until a predetermined castle level.

I barely see any correlation to clash of clans. The only similarity is that I'm building structures inside a castle. There's no control in combat, there's no defensive strategy visible (but I haven't unlocked arena/pvp yet).

In terms of the battle. I don't really see this game breaking the holy trinity, well actually a holy duo since there's no tank class so far. There might be a hero that reduces damage to all characters in which case it would become a trinity again. Also the AI seems to be relatively random in terms of attacking. This means that even if you have the right units you may still lose if they decide to attack the wrong enemy units. Also because of the AI of the healer it might still end up a DPS race because he won't heal any unit over 60%(?) health. So the healing becomes more unrealiable as you fight against more units.

Overall it's not a bad game, but I have seen this formula done in another game, ninja inc. There are some things that game does better than this one, namely there are some options in combat. However that game ends up having the biggest issue with revival timers which don't seem to exist in this game. This game would probably appeal to players who are ok with playing once every couple of hours. This allows the game to stockpile food so that the player can do a couple of fights at a time. Other plus points are the art style and the fact that I'm playing a race of cyclops.

* I kind of wonder if there's an issue with the pricing. In the foods buildings, the first pay building is 175 pay currency which is about $20. The other ones visible to me right now are 25 and another under shops for 30. Granted the pay one is a little over two times better than what I currently can build.
05-24-2013, 02:12 AM
Game Impressions

This game requires Internet. Really?
This info should have been included in the description. Have I known about this, I should have never downloaded this. What a waste of time and bandwidth. Is it hard to put a "This app requires Internet connection" warning on the description?
I hope that the developer was happy about their downloads count.
07-29-2013, 02:08 AM
I started playing this game to eat up some time when I am bored and it really does just that.

I am currently lvl 39 and I have unlocked all the heroes, minus a few of their clones, and the game is really showing its true colors. I personally have stopped doing quests so my castle level doesn't out class my hero's levels. Currently I am trying to level up all my heroes to lvl 39 and I am really enjoying the pvp aspect of the game.

They recently updated this game to have weekly tournaments with prizes. The tournaments last 6 days, they have 1 day down time for some reason I do not know, and in order to reach the top of the leaderboards you only really need to be able to counter the other player's set ups and so forth to gain a lead. I think it is a lot of fun mainly cause, unlike clash of clans, their are no players yet that are spending large amounts of money to be at the top of the weekly tournaments and if I am not mistaken, you don't even need to spend money to be at the top. The only thing that spending money would do for you in arena, is allow you to attack more often. This can be a good and bad thing since the only way you can lose arena rating is by you initiating the battle.

With 18 different characters and 18 clones of those characters making a total of 36 characters, the game has a lot of dynamic strategy that goes in to actually beating other compositions. I have not yet come across a "win-all" combination in arena, so selecting your heroes is very important for winning your arena battles.

All in all, it is a great game with a good bit of strategy when either dealing with high level quests or playing in your weekly arena division. I would highly recommend you at least test out the game, it gets really interesting as you get to higher levels and are able to strategize a bit more with your party of 4 heroes.

Not to gloat or anything, but just fyi, this first weekly tournament I was able to come in first and I haven't spent a dime on this game. So it is very possible to win in your own arena division without spending money! A huge plus for me.

Currently Playing: Game of War: Fire Age, HonorBound.
Favorite Games: Star Warfare, ArcherCat, Skyriders, Clash of Clans, Kingdom Rush, Game of War: Fire Age, and HonorBound.
12-01-2013, 08:03 AM
Love the artwork of game too much.