★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Small World for iPad $6.99 -> $2.99

05-24-2013, 04:25 AM
Small World for iPad $6.99 -> $2.99

Considering this will be updated to Small World 2 for FREE once it gets released I urge everyone to get it now.Excellent boardgame.

Last edited by Aventador; 05-24-2013 at 04:27 AM.
05-24-2013, 04:34 AM
Does this have decent AI and GC multiplayer?

05-24-2013, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by september View Post
Does this have decent AI and GC multiplayer?
No online multiplayer or 3-5 player games until the overhaul hits in a couple of months, but the AI is solid enough. The biggest reason to grab the game now (apart from the fact that it's a great game as it stands) would be that when the free Small World 2 update arrives, the existing game will be going up from $7 to $10, and the IAP expansions will be increasing in price also.

The free Small World 2 update:

05-24-2013, 05:16 AM
lowest price

lowest sale price...

video review 1 2 3 found here
05-24-2013, 05:37 AM
I've heard a ton of great buzz about this game. Buying in anticipation of the update.

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy
05-24-2013, 06:14 AM
IIRC the dev has been criticized for neglecting this game. Any truth to that?
05-24-2013, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
IIRC the dev has been criticized for neglecting this game. Any truth to that?
Well, the very first posts in this thread already touched on what is going on with the game at the moment. In April this year, DoW raised over $400k to update the iPad version of Small World and create Android and PC versions with cross-platform play; the update will add 3-5 player games and online multiplayer, along with high-res Retina graphics and the "Be Not Afraid" expansion (adding to the existing "Cursed!" and "Grand Dames").

This complete overhaul for the iPad app is due out in the next couple of months, will transform the existing Small World into Small World 2, and will be entirely free, although the game itself will be going up in price when the update hits. So as it stands, right now the developers are pretty much doing the exact opposite of "neglecting" the game.
05-24-2013, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
Well, the very first posts in this thread already touched on what is going on with the game at the moment. In April this year, DoW raised over $400k to update the iPad version of Small World and create Android and PC versions with cross-platform play; the update will add 3-5 player games and online multiplayer, along with high-res Retina graphics and the "Be Not Afraid" expansion (adding to the existing "Cursed!" and "Grand Dames").

This complete overhaul for the iPad app is due out in the next couple of months, will transform the existing Small World into Small World 2, and will be entirely free, although the game itself will be going up in price when the update hits. So as it stands, right now the developers are pretty much doing the exact opposite of "neglecting" the game.
Cool...I love me some Euro-boardgames...when I get around to learning how to play, if ever Actually, the criticism I had read wasn't here but at boardgamegeeks.com. I guess I'll grab this...I just hope it isn't a bait and switch, with this version pulled from the appstore with a new one to take its place.
05-24-2013, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
I guess I'll grab this...I just hope it isn't a bait and switch, with this version pulled from the appstore with a new one to take its place.
No, as stated the new version will be an update to the existing game; if you also buy the existing expansions now (at their cheaper price), they'll carry over to the new app and you won't have to buy them again.

Quote:
I already own Small World iPad, how can I get Small World 2?

You're in luck. Not only did you only play $ 6.99 for the base game (the price on the app store will increase to $ 9.99 once Small World 2 ships), you will also automatically receive a free upgrade to Small World 2 for iPad, when it ships later this summer. Yes - you will be getting the 3-5 player maps, online gaming, retina support and much more all for free.

Our newest digital expansion, Be Not Afraid, will be available as an in-app purchase. But you will not have to repurchase Cursed! and Grand Dames if you already own those; they will automatically transfer.

Last edited by Appletini; 05-24-2013 at 08:22 AM.
05-24-2013, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
No, as stated the new version will be an update to the existing game; if you also buy the existing expansions now (at their cheaper price), they'll carry over to the new app and you won't have to buy them again.
How many expansions are there? I have several purchases to make this weekend, so I'de like to know what my outlay will be. Do you know the total price if I purchase this now + all expansions?

EDIT: one last question: does this game provide a fun single-player experience? It's hard to tell how a board game plays out in single-player without really knowing the mechanics.

When I was a kid, I played Monopoly by myself. It was hard to not favor one player over another Ah, such a sad time .

Last edited by Greyskull; 05-24-2013 at 08:25 AM.