Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-25-2013, 10:25 AM

Default Solstice Arena - (by Zynga Inc.)

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by killercow; 06-13-2013 at 10:03 AM..
Old 05-25-2013, 10:54 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Wow even Zynga is getting in on the MOBA scene. Too bad it looks so generic. At least Gameloft's clone has a great character styles.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:52 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

I wonder who has the worst iap model between this and gameloft's MOBA.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:21 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
Too bad it looks so generic. At least Gameloft's clone has a great character styles.
Without knowing almost anything else about the game (other than this rather nice post by the developer), I'd say that the art style and character designs are FAR less generic than Heroes of Order & Chaos.

Still dumbfoundingly generic. But Gameloft's Order & Chaos setting might just be the most carefully and deliberately balanced mix of generic high fantasy concepts in the history of... well, history

The idea of a speed MOBA hits a particular sweet spot for me (and probably quite a few others), as the primary reason I can never seem to get into LoL (other than not having time for any kind of regular gaming that cannot be stoved away in my pocket) is that I rarely, if ever, have time for 20-40 minute contiguous matches.

The above linked post by the devs (which are originally an independent studio, and hopefully not Zynga-fied to the core ) has a nice tone, and if the gameplay matches the devs' vision, I think this could be something kinda spectacular for competitive mobile burst gaming, and the mobile MOBA vision the otherwise very competent Heroes of Order & Chaos could not quite deliver.

That is, until Dungeon Defenders 2, with its new MOBA PvP mode and promised mobile and desktop version and feature sync, hits...

Last edited by Ayjona; 05-25-2013 at 04:03 PM..
Old 05-25-2013, 03:27 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

This Canada and NZ soft launch stuff is really beginning to boil my piss.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:52 PM
iPhone 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadedodger View Post
agreed.

so this means we get it inusa what, 2 weeks from now?

highly annoying seeing these games, getting our curiosities piqued and then oops, nope, not available
Old 05-25-2013, 03:55 PM
iPad mini, iOS 5.x

Hi!

Team Solstice here - we saw this thread got posted and wanted to drop in, say "Hi", and hopefully open a dialog between the players and developers. We would love to hear your feedback, ideas, comments, praises and criticisms. We also have a lot of content planned and would be happy to post here about new Hero sneak-peaks, concept art, etc if there is interest

First off, we hope you enjoy the game! Even if you are skeptical, since the game is Free to Play (and Fair to Play, more on that later) - it doesn't cost anything but the download time to give it a try and see if your pre-conceptions are correct or not.

Second, we ourselves are avid MOBA players (since the original mod that started it all ) and we feel that Solstice brings something new to the genre. We came to Zynga (so we are in fact Zynga employees) a few months ago, before that we were an indie studio called A Bit Lucky, and many of us had worked on previous AAA console and MMO titles. We like to call Solstice Arena the first "Speed MOBA", as average games lengths are around 7-10 minutes, which we feel is much more appropriate for mobile/tablet than the 20-45 minute games you might play in other MOBAs. To make gameplay fun for new and experienced players, we're currently offering three game modes: Solo vs. A.I., Co-op vs. A.I. and Player vs. Player.

Fair to Play: as avid MOBA players we understand that 'pay to win' is not appropriate for this type of competitive, PvP game. Above all, we wanted to preserve the core progression of MOBA competition, so players will have to earn their Hero upgrades. There will always be a free-to-try rotation of both Heroes and Potions - so if you never want to pay, you don't have to, and you won't be at a disadvantage in PvP.

Again - don't take our word for it, we are obviously biased - download the game and give it a fair shot - if it's still not for you, it didn't cost you anything, but if you like MOBAs, and wish there was one you could play on your couch in 10 minute bursts, while cutting out the boring parts and focusing on the fun team-fighting aspects (3v3 in the case of Solstice Arena), we think you might be pleasantly surprised!

Also, a quick side-note on compatibility: iPhone 4S and 4 are currently not supported , but should be by the official world-wide launch - if you have one of these devices you should wait for that (this is one of the reasons developers do a soft launch, of course; to make sure all the kinks are flushed out).

Thanks!

- Team Solstice
Old 05-25-2013, 09:03 PM

Cool it's out!

Last edited by kenken11; 05-25-2013 at 09:24 PM..
Old 05-26-2013, 11:29 AM
iPhone 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenken11 View Post
Cool it's out!
not in Murica! it ain't i'll check back in a week

sigh
Old 05-26-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadedodger View Post
Quote:
A soft launch is the release of a website, hotel, or other product or service to a limited audience. Soft-launching is a method for gathering data on a product's usage and acceptance in the marketplace, before making it generally available as a hard launch or grand opening. Companies may choose a soft launch to test the viability of a product or to fine tune a product before implementing a larger marketing effort.
I bet your eggs would explode if those Games would appear on the iTunes Store in the UK untested & unbalanced and The Sun would bring it as a Headliner ;-)