★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: "iPhone as powerful as a PSP"... Hmmm I'm begining to wonder...

12-07-2008, 06:18 PM
"iPhone as powerful as a PSP"... Hmmm I'm begining to wonder...

All the talk a few months ago, was of how powerful the iPhone/iPod Touch really is, especially after John Carmack's comments.
I've seen a lot of the games to come out so far, and I have to say, that even though it has a slightly greater resolution, I've seen no game that even approaches true PSP standard.
Now, this could be down to the fact that the really big game developers have yet to really embrace the device. Spore Origins and Super Monkey ball, hardly push the envelope, IMO.

So far, I think that the iPhone has proved to be somewhere between a PS1 and N64 in terms of true gaming prowess, regardless of what the tech specs say, but I think that NFS: Undercover will be the final verdict on that score.
Racing is a genre that really pushes any system to it's limits, due to the fast pace and high graphical demands. I'm awaiting videos and reviews of NFS eagerly.
If EA cannot achieve true PSP quality with this title, then I guess that no-one can.

iPhone 6s Plus: (64GB 'Bro' Gold)
iPad Air: (64GB Wi-Fi Space Grey)
MFi controller: SteelSeries Stratus.
Retina MacBook Pro(2012): (2.7GHz i7 - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD)
12-07-2008, 06:21 PM
High end psp games can take 2+ years to develop, why should we expect them in a handful of months? We just need to give devs time and see where they take the iPhone and touch in a year or two

12-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisking1o1 View Post
High end psp games can take 2+ years to develop, why should we expect them in a handful of months? We just need to give devs time and see where they take the iPhone and touch in a year or two
There lies the problem. Two or so years working on an iPhone game would require a lot of resources, and since the expected "highest" price is 9.99, there would be more opportunity costs than profits.

Also note: Nintendo DS 67 MHz ARM 946E-S (N-Gage processor) + 33 MHz ARM7TDMI (same processor as the original iPods) 4MB RAM 256KB Flash + cartridge storage Dual, 256192 3" displays; one is stylus touch sensitive No accelerometers No camera No mobile radio WiFi 802.11b/g No Bluetooth

Sony PSP 333 MHz MIPS R4000 CPU + GPU with 2 MB onboard VRAM running at 166 MHz 32 MB main RAM (new models expanded to 64MB), and 4 MB embedded DRAM. MemoryStick storage, UMD media 480272 (368207 usable for video); no touch screen features No accelerometers No camera No mobile radio WiFi 802.11b No Bluetooth

Apple iPhone
Samsung ARM SoC 620 MHz 1176 running at 412 Mhz + PowerVR MBX 3D GPU
128MB RAM
8 or 16GB Flash storage
320480 3.5" display with finger multitouch input
Accelerometers for direct physical control
2 Megapixel camera
Quad band GSM + EDGE
WiFi 802.11 b/g
BlueTooth 2.0 EDR

In other words, it's got the juice of a PSP with the novelty factor of the DS (and then some thanks to its tilt abilities). And it's already sold a gagillion units. Those are the kind of things that are very appealing to developers and publishers alike, you know. Or raving mad stats fans. Either or.

http://kotaku.com/372687/handheld-wa...-psp-vs-iphone

Last edited by No Hero; 12-07-2008 at 06:33 PM.
12-07-2008, 06:31 PM
The other thing to take into account, though, is that for the price of two of my PSP games, I can own 10, 20, 30 or more paid games on my phone. I am more then willing to compromise some quality for the variety and convenience offered to me on the phone.

These games on these versions of the touch or phone might not reach the same depth as a PSP game, but given the fact that you can almost guarantee an updated phone every 12-18 months, I don't expect it will be too long before the same level of depth arrives. My kids already prefer the 100+ games that are available to them on my 1st generation 8GB phone then the games on the PSP and DS. My old phone is the only device that they want to bring with them when we are heading out some where.
12-07-2008, 06:36 PM
I definately think we will see high end iPhone games that cost $20, because if they really are worth it, people will (hopefully) buy it, and it will start a new wave of iPhone gaming. I believe it's just a matter of time
12-07-2008, 07:23 PM
There is no way iPhone games are going to match up with the PSP as far as graphics are concerned.. and keep in mind the PSP has hard buttons! That being said, there is nothing to prevent people from creating applications of higher quality... people go back and play the classics on old platforms all the time

Look at the Wii.. pretty mediocre graphics, but the games are tons of fun (and appeal to a larger audience usually)

Where else can you buy a game for $.99? China? Whatevs..

I think that they were mistaken as far as comparing the graphics capabilities, but not for comparing the quality and depth of games...

Keep in mind people with iTouch and iPhone are using it in between commitments.. you get home and play your PSP or you're a kid and you have nothing better to do between classes, on the bus, weekends etc...

There are so many factors I don't think it's fair to compare the two back to back. /rant

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
12-07-2008, 07:44 PM
The iPhone games will get better and better as time goes by.
Like a previous poster said, PSP games take 1 or 2 years to be developed. Some of them even longer.
You can't expect an iPhone game that was developed in 4 months to match up to the production values of a 2 year, high budget PSP game.

When devs start seeing the iPhone as a viable platform, they will start spending more time and money on iPhone games (id's been working on an iPhone game since the release of the SDK and it will be, according to Carmack, a "graphical tour de force") and we will start seeing Dreamcast-quality games.

The iPhone can't push as many polygons per second as the PSP but it can outperform a Dreamcast and seeing games with those graphics on a does-it-all platform is really something to look forward to.
12-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by henr1kk View Post
The iPhone games will get better and better as time goes by.
Like a previous poster said, PSP games take 1 or 2 years to be developed. Some of them even longer.
You can't expect an iPhone game that was developed in 4 months to match up to the production values of a 2 year, high budget PSP game.

When devs start seeing the iPhone as a viable platform, they will start spending more time and money on iPhone games (id's been working on an iPhone game since the release of the SDK and it will be, according to Carmack, a "graphical tour de force") and we will start seeing Dreamcast-quality games.

The iPhone can't push as many polygons per second as the PSP but it can outperform a Dreamcast and seeing games with those graphics on a does-it-all platform is really something to look forward to.
Just to add something to your quality post here, I feel like developers should consider, but not commit to making a port of their past games.. It's way to easy for them just to port a crappy game over, but the best games in the app store seem to have been developed from scratch. That ingenuity is what will make a game successful, not just buying it because you recognize the Star Wars franchise or whatever..

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
12-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegmans View Post
Just to add something to your quality post here, I feel like developers should consider, but not commit to making a port of their past games.. It's way to easy for them just to port a crappy game over, but the best games in the app store seem to have been developed from scratch. That ingenuity is what will make a game successful, not just buying it because you recognize the Star Wars franchise or whatever..
I agree.

The problem is that devs see the iPhone as a gaming platform for the "10minute gamer", a person that plays a game for 10 minutes and then goes on to do other stuff.
They don't realise that there are some serious gamers that also happen to own iPhones or Touches.
So they do these casual games or these easy ports and, seeing as they sell a lot, they don't even make an effort to make something original.
When people stop seeing the iPhone as a mobile phone that can play games and start seeing it as a portable console, we will be able to play some real games.

That being said, I think Hero of Sparta and BiA are some of the best examples of the evolution of iPhone gaming. Gameloft is really pushing the envelope here and I hope other devs start doing it soon.
12-07-2008, 08:36 PM
I beg to differ.

I don't see casual gaming is hindering the full exploit of iPhone/iTouch potential as a gaming platform. We see a quite a number of high quality and creative titles on the platform (e.g. Trace). Many of them do not have the total game times in terms of minutes, not hours.

For anyone paying attention to the contrast between DS and PSP, one would find that PSP titles are more confined to the "mainstream" genre, and DS are more leaned to be both creative and short. One may argue that this is the reason why DS beats PSP, in terms of sales, everywhere the units are sold. Proof? One of the best sellers of all time "Mario Cart DS" is basically light-hearted racer. This still holds true in the year*2008, when we see abundant amount of mainstream titles on DS. AFAIK, one of the best sellers, apart from Pokemon, is a rhythm game ("Heaven of Rhythm"? Sorry the ame escapes me) developed in-house and currently in Japanese only. It is essentially a collection of rhythm themed mini-games.

IMHO, I don't mind seeing ports of some "hardcore" series on the platform (DQ? FF? UT?), cause the "juice" is here. At the same time, I personally don't see a reason why a game cannot be original, "casual" and "pushing the envelope" at the same time. Allow me to quote "Touch Sports Tennis '09", it may not be the best tennis game available, let alone the most fun and the most original, but still, it serves a pretty good example where the platform can be.