★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Woxel Word Game :)

07-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Woxel Word Game :)

Woxel Word Game just came out this week. Here is a 40 second demo video and a few screenshots:

Woxel Video

99 cents to buy - Itunes Store Link: http://itunes.com/apps/woxelwordgame

Even if you don't buy the game, I'd love to hear any advice on how to improve our website. We think we have an awesome game, but don't really know anything about marketing.

Thanks,
Randy

Last edited by Randimonium; 07-17-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: embedding youtube video
07-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Hi, I love word games and am always interested in new ones, but this looks very similar in style to Bookworm and Wordsworth which I already have.

Does this game offer anything new on those two?

Thanks.

07-16-2009, 07:32 PM
The interface is very polished. Impressive. Is it 3D?

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8
07-16-2009, 07:37 PM
well, you've done something a lot of dev's should do...you have a short video of your game in action

according to the app description, best scores are kept for each round, but there's no mention of tracking best scores on either local or global scoreboards
07-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian1969uk View Post
Hi, I love word games and am always interested in new ones, but this looks very similar in style to Bookworm and Wordsworth which I already have.

Does this game offer anything new on those two?

Thanks.
Yes, there are some big differences.

First is letter selection: You can change directions when selecting letters for your word. For example in the image below, if you pressed the letters M, then A, then N, then G, you can then press the letter A on the right side of the N, as long as it's connected to some letter that you have pressed.

Bookworm and Wordsworth make you continue in the same direction, sort of, which makes it harder to find words and makes you get cornered and unable to make larger words.

Second: We use three short rounds per game. While wordsworth keeps going and going. The reason we believe the short rounds are better, is because after just a 3 minute game, you can try again to beat your score in just another 3 minutes, and again, etc. However, in the Wordsworth model, if you are doing really well, the game might go on for 30 minutes or even go on for hours. And once you've finished a game that went over an hour, in order to beat that score, you will have to play for an even longer period than that.

Third: Bookworm is 4.99 Woxel is just 99 cents. Good for those who don't already have Bookworm hehehe.

Another difference is our word list. We include names, which we found was more entertaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos-Sz View Post
The interface is very polished. Impressive. Is it 3D?
Yup, it uses 3D objects in a 2D gameplay environment.

Thanks for the questions,
Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoxelSelectInst.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	5530  
07-16-2009, 08:10 PM
I like the game approach but I can't believe I'll purchase another word game!

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8
07-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Whoa - I like being able to skip back to any letter that you have already used. One of the frustrating parts of bookworm when you start getting a bunch of crappy letters - like multiple, multiple consonants, and no vowels are dropping...

I will probably get this one.... I too have a whole springboard page of just word games...

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
07-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks all,

We're doing our first of many updates today. This one has faster load times and has a 2 finger swipe that deselects your currently selected letters.

We're considering adding the ability to shake the iPhone to randomly scramble the letters, which could be used 1 or 2 times per round or per game. I'm wondering what you guys think about this feature. Good idea? Bad idea?
07-17-2009, 11:52 AM
If you include shake, don't make it too sensitive!

I'd rather see a button, double-tap, etc.

Shaking is usually not sensitive/reliable enough to use when you're under a time limit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
07-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
If you include shake, don't make it too sensitive!

I'd rather see a button, double-tap, etc.

Shaking is usually not sensitive/reliable enough to use when you're under a time limit...
I agree. If you provide the ability to "shake up" the letters, give those of us that don't like to shake the device an alternative method for activating that feature. Otherwise yeah, it's a good idea.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre