★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: iHerd

07-16-2009, 07:27 PM
iHerd

Anybody curious about virtual herding?

iTunes link $0.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Description
Like the name suggests iHerd is all about herding. iHerd was developed deep in the heart of West Yorkshire, so it is truly authentic.

Herding sheep takes years of dedication. This dedication is needed to train the sheepdogs, learn the complex art of the fetch, drive and pen disciplines, and then master those difficult sheep whistles.

But not here! In iHerd you simply position each sheepdog with your finger tip. The herding dogs faithfully obey and follow your lead.

iHerd features 6 different types of sheep and 2 dogs.

Game play features:

- Position your dog next to the sheep using your finger
- Quickly pen the sheep by touching the stone circle
- Enjoy the different characteristics of each sheep and their different bonus scores
- Make use of score multipliers by penning lots of sheep at once
- Try to find the hidden 'ram' mode
- Pass sheep through the level's gate for an extra bonus

The game also includes:

- Tiny download size due to aggressive compression techniques
- Incredibly fast loading of the game
- Automatic save and resume of a game
- Querky sounds, though sound is initially turned off, allowing you to listen to your favourite iTunes music

So, welcome to the Yorkshire Dales National Park.

Happy herding!

Not being able to wait and being a fan of Australian Shepards, I bit.

The gameplay is pretty simple, at least in concept, which is draw paths for your sheep dogs to herd the sheep into the stone circles BEFORE any of the sheep's timers run out and the game is over. Herding a group of standard sheep together will have them pool their timers but mix a black sheep into the group and they'll all revert to whatever time he has left (he doesn't play that well with others evidently). You get more points for scoring bigger groups than if you were to collect each individually (once the sheep are in the little stone circle you tap in the circle to remove/collect them so you can just score stuff as soon as it comes in or wait for a big group before pushing the button). I haven't gotten that far in the game but I read that later in the game you'll be dealing with rams that can chase your dogs out of the way! Also there is something about getting a bonus for running sheep through the gate in the lower right corner but it's easier said than done since they REALLY don't want to go through it for some reason.

I also like the sound effects but, possibly a result of focus testing, they default to off as the constant whistling and sheep baaing might drive the unsuspecting mad.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
07-16-2009, 07:48 PM
awwwww puppies!!!! should i TOFTT?

I wonder if the dev will join the forums?

Plus+ ID: Wegmans

07-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegmans View Post
awwwww puppies!!!! should i TOFTT?
It looks as though LordGek already did.

I was wondering about this one. Do you see yourself returning to it off and on, LG?

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
07-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djflippy View Post
It looks as though LordGek already did.

I was wondering about this one. Do you see yourself returning to it off and on, LG?
Yeah, while I do have a sick addiction to COLLECTING apps, this one quells some of my gaming basic needs:

-Intuitive controls (while you have complete control of your doggies, the sheep have minds of their own).
-The right difficulty (games are unlikely to drag on forever as it does get difficult after a few levels).
-A good bonus system (I need my games to allow me to either just finish a level or, if feeling cocky, take some risks to gain much bigger points).
-Randomness (my number one priority and while the playfield is fixed, where sheep magically pop up in the field is good and random).
-Pretty original gameplay!

4.5/5 at this point at least.

My iTunes Reviews
07-17-2009, 10:43 AM
It only works with OS 3.0 though. I e-mailed the developer who suggested I get OS 3.0! But there's not much point (at the moment) for the iPod Touch. I suppose if this is the start of a trend to release apps that are exclusively available to OS 3.0 then I will need to get it...
07-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selina View Post
It only works with OS 3.0 though. I e-mailed the developer who suggested I get OS 3.0! But there's not much point (at the moment) for the iPod Touch. I suppose if this is the start of a trend to release apps that are exclusively available to OS 3.0 then I will need to get it...
EVENTUALLY Apple will phase out OS 2 compatibility in the appstore as they did with OS 1, but I guess you still have some time for them to get OS 3 more solid before you jump into the fray.

My iTunes Reviews
07-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Herding sheep....

Hypnotoad?

07-17-2009, 04:00 PM
I'd like to see Albie's review of this one
07-18-2009, 12:53 AM
I'd like to see a video review of this before checking it out.
08-12-2009, 05:22 PM