★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: The best chess app. Powered by Game Center, designed exclusively for iPhone.

Features:
Challenge your friends on Game Center or play an adjustable computer opponent
Play with beautiful pieces and boards designed specifically for iPhone
Effortlessly review your last move or the entire game with the swipe of a finger
Upgrade the computer opponent for full playing style customization
For the chess nerds: export your games in algebraic notation
Up to 70% taller than ordinary chess!

Sanuku's comments:
Quote:
NZ Release info :

The Game is out in New Zealand. It should be out in US at about 11 PM EST and Europe at around 12 AM UK time. Size of the app is 2.9 MB.

Price in NZ is Free.

Requirements :

Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad. Requires iOS 6.0 or later. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
The best chess app. Powered by Game Center, designed exclusively for iPhone.

For a limited time, upgrade for only $2.99!

Features:

Challenge your friends or an auto-matched opponent with Game Center
Play with beautiful pieces and boards designed specifically for iPhone
Effortlessly review your last move or the entire game with the swipe of a finger
Upgrade to play multiple games, simultaneously, on beautiful colored boards
For the chess nerds: export your games in algebraic notation
Up to 58% taller than ordinary chess!
iPhone Screenshots








05-29-2013, 08:14 AM
#2
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,164
What is the advantage of being 58% taller than normal chess? It just looks stretched to me. I assume it fills an iPhone 5 screen? On an iPad screen, are there black bars on the side, or does Tall Chess become Wide Chess on an iPad.

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic

08-03-2013, 01:30 PM
#3
Aw, shucks... I thought there'd be more people playing chess with this app. I like playing random opponents, but hate that they stop playing after realizing I'm a few moves away from checkmate. I think I would at least have the decency to resign. I think.
03-19-2016, 01:46 PM
#4
It looks like this game is gone. Good thing I saved it, because it's still the best chess app I have seen on the store.
03-19-2016, 02:11 PM
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorarchitekt View Post
It looks like this game is gone. Good thing I saved it, because it's still the best chess app I have seen on the store.
Ahhh see I'd love a match-3 with chess pieces on this clean layout that fills the board, simple and sweet.

Edit: Hmm...it doesn't fill the board, but maybe Pawn'd is what I'm looking for. $1 and no IAP. May have to give it a shot.

Last edited by AppUnwrapper; 03-19-2016 at 02:15 PM.
03-19-2016, 02:57 PM
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppUnwrapper View Post
Ahhh see I'd love a match-3 with chess pieces on this clean layout that fills the board, simple and sweet.

Edit: Hmm...it doesn't fill the board, but maybe Pawn'd is what I'm looking for. $1 and no IAP. May have to give it a shot.
Right, I wish Chesster looked like this!
Pawn'd was ok, I tried it. But it just didn't grab me like I'd hoped.
Lately I've been realizing how many games with great potential are abandoned without updates or left to slowly die on the App Store

Also, Hipsta Chez still works. And the developer told me on the games thread that they might update it!

Last edited by vectorarchitekt; 03-19-2016 at 03:02 PM.
03-19-2016, 03:21 PM
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorarchitekt View Post
Right, I wish Chesster looked like this!
Pawn'd was ok, I tried it. But it just didn't grab me like I'd hoped.
Lately I've been realizing how many games with great potential are abandoned without updates or left to slowly die on the App Store

Also, Hipsta Chez still works. And the developer told me on the games thread that they might update it!
I bought Pawn'd because I had to see if it was what I was looking for. It's close, but I was disappointed that Rooks and Bishops can only move one spot at a time. And I'm pretty sure it let me jump two spaces with a pawn at one time, which is an odd thing to allow if it restricts the other pieces.

Need someone to take the ideas of all three games and make the perfect match-3 with chess pieces!
03-19-2016, 08:51 PM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppUnwrapper View Post
I bought Pawn'd because I had to see if it was what I was looking for. It's close, but I was disappointed that Rooks and Bishops can only move one spot at a time. And I'm pretty sure it let me jump two spaces with a pawn at one time, which is an odd thing to allow if it restricts the other pieces.

Need someone to take the ideas of all three games and make the perfect match-3 with chess pieces!
What amazes me is that after all these years, I can only find TWO games that have done this
03-19-2016, 09:02 PM
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorarchitekt View Post
What amazes me is that after all these years, I can only find TWO games that have done this
Right?! It seems like an idea that's begging to be explored more.
05-11-2016, 09:59 AM
#10
It's back!!