★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

If people don't spend more than 99 cents per app...

05-31-2013, 01:01 AM
#1
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 5,498
If people don't spend more than 99 cents per app...

Explain why a supposedly niche title like Warhammer is currently #2 on the game charts.
05-31-2013, 01:27 AM
#2
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 3,693
just my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
Explain why a supposedly niche title like Warhammer is currently #2 on the game charts.
because there are hardcore fans of that game that will pay any price.

i knew a few guys i worked with that will wait in lines or buy $50-$60 games. later finding out there living on rice and beans or in basement of there moms house at 30 years old. i have backlog of 100's so i can wait for a price drop to play. some that are on a budget and like to save money stick to it, while other have the extra cash to spare or spend living day to day with no money i guess?

the way the market is i see $5 as five apps now or something that can go free in 1 year, otherwise wait for xmas sale if i badly want something.

just like the way Steam pc/indie bundle go... just wait and games are dirt cheap.

05-31-2013, 01:51 AM
#3
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 10,656
I don't wait for price drops. If we all waited for games to be 99c many companies wouldn't make a profit and would then give up on iPhone gaming and move on

If companies make a good profit then they'll make more and more for us

Waiting for price drops when games are a few dollars is a joke
05-31-2013, 01:59 AM
#4
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,741
I guess the real teller will be how long it stays up there. The initial flood of sales would have included most of the people who were already waiting for it, but it's the more casual crowd who decide whether or not it keeps its rank.

  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
05-31-2013, 04:14 AM
#5
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 5,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbiggles View Post
because there are hardcore fans of that game that will pay any price.

i knew a few guys i worked with that will wait in lines or buy $50-$60 games. later finding out there living on rice and beans or in basement of there moms house at 30 years old. i have backlog of 100's so i can wait for a price drop to play. some that are on a budget and like to save money stick to it, while other have the extra cash to spare or spend living day to day with no money i guess?

the way the market is i see $5 as five apps now or something that can go free in 1 year, otherwise wait for xmas sale if i badly want something.

just like the way Steam pc/indie bundle go... just wait and games are dirt cheap.
i doubt this will ever go free (by the way...there are tons of games which have never been free) because of the Warhammer license. Though, to be honest, the only Warhammer I've heard of is 40,000K, which has had a lot of games based on it.
05-31-2013, 04:15 AM
#6
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 5,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
I guess the real teller will be how long it stays up there. The initial flood of sales would have included most of the people who were already waiting for it, but it's the more casual crowd who decide whether or not it keeps its rank.
Yeah, it was a pretty slow release day for casual fair. Not many games I can think of were released that would sell tens of thousands of copies overnight.
05-31-2013, 05:45 AM
#7
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,673
People will pay for what they consider to be value, if product warrants price then the average person won't have a problem.
05-31-2013, 05:57 AM
#8
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,773
You charge $100 per game irrespective of production value and market interest and no one blinks an eye.

You let devs decide the price based off actual costing and the targeted demographic and everyone loses their minds.

*1st crack at the Joker meme. Sorry
05-31-2013, 06:15 AM
#9
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
I don't wait for price drops. If we all waited for games to be 99c many companies wouldn't make a profit and would then give up on iPhone gaming and move on

If companies make a good profit then they'll make more and more for us

Waiting for price drops when games are a few dollars is a joke
Very well said, if everybody wait for this you said or for games to become free, the AppStore would suck and collapse leaving us with FarmVille freemium kind of games, worst scenario ever IMO. Thats why I buy every game I like regardless of price on release.
05-31-2013, 06:17 AM
#10
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
I guess the real teller will be how long it stays up there. The initial flood of sales would have included most of the people who were already waiting for it, but it's the more casual crowd who decide whether or not it keeps its rank.
Also well said, in no time it will starting to fall. Almost no game stays up there for long unless its casual, and even so...