★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Theseus promotion codes and game discussion

12-08-2008, 02:51 AM
Theseus promotion codes and game discussion

Edit (March 2, 2009) Theseus is on sale for $0.99 for a limited time

Hello iPhone gamers!

My name is Jason - I'm the developer of the Theseus iPhone game: http://theseus.fieldman.org (there was a post about my game here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=653 ).

It's *really hard* to get any kind of exposure in the app world, so I wanted to try something out with you guys, and I hope this is the proper place to do it and I'm not stepping too far out on a ledge with this idea.

As you probably know, Apple has recently introduced a promo code system where I can generate promotional codes that allow one person to download a free copy of my games. We can only generate a limited number of codes, so I'd like to make an offer to the next 20 people who message me (first come first served):

UPDATE: The promo codes have run out. If you see this message, please do not PM me since I have run out of codes and cannot generate more.

I will send you a promo code for a free version of Theseus. In exchange, I ask that you write up an objective, honest review of the Theseus app and post it here as well as to the iTunes store. I want to get as much objective feedback as possible so that I know what to improve, while simultaneously getting some more reviews in the app store (it's really hard to convince people to leave reviews whether they liked the game or not).

I guess this can come across as whoring out copies of the game for reviews, but I'm really trying to get discussion going, since it's so hard to get people to both find the game and be vocal about their thoughts.

Here is some more background/historical links for the game in case you are interested:

Robert Abbott's electronic version writeup:
http://www.logicmazes.com/theseus.html

Robert Abbott's original paper and pen writeup:
http://www.logicmazes.com/theseus4.html

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited by jasonf; 03-02-2009 at 09:18 PM.
12-08-2008, 03:10 AM
well I already have the game so I figured I'd just say how happy I am that you made this game.

I have always loved this game so I got it when the price hit 99 cents.

I'd love to see more outfits for the adventurer and maybe a hints system. I've gone up to level 22 but I still can't pass level 10 =(

All in all, it loads fast and plays well. The new medal system brings a lot of replayability to the game, the min moves for gold helps me figure things out too.

12-08-2008, 03:11 AM
Are you still viewing Jason?
12-08-2008, 03:13 AM
Would like to try the game if you will pm it to me.
12-08-2008, 03:15 AM
Send a message via AIM to superbad
^^ chill down and read his instructions... if youve done so already. patiently wait.
12-08-2008, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegantTnT View Post
well I already have the game so I figured I'd just say how happy I am that you made this game.

I have always loved this game so I got it when the price hit 99 cents.

I'd love to see more outfits for the adventurer and maybe a hints system. I've gone up to level 22 but I still can't pass level 10 =(

All in all, it loads fast and plays well. The new medal system brings a lot of replayability to the game, the min moves for gold helps me figure things out too.
Glad you like it I think outfits are fun, but I'm not really an artist. So I started an outfit contest for users to create outfits, and used outfits will earn the artist promo codes for the game.

Regarding the price, I know that's probably the biggest complaint that people will have ($3.99!) But it's interesting if you look at sales from my perspective. The game has been out for two months now, so I've had some time to experiment with pricing. It turns out that the price has no effect on the sales/day number. So if I price the game at $0.99 I sell the same number in a day as I do when the price is $3.99. That's why I just leave it at $3.99 since I'd rather make 4 times as much. Plus, I figure that if you enjoy the game as a puzzler, it will probably take you about 6-10 hours to beat all of the levels. So $3.99: that's better than a movie - I think it's worth it

What do you guys think about pricing?
12-08-2008, 03:28 AM
5 codes sent already It's getting late so I'm going to bed, but in the morning I will send the codes to the next 15 people in my inbox. Thanks!
12-08-2008, 03:32 AM
That's good advice Superbad, however I'm working on a goal here. I think 4 or 5 more posts and I'll be a sr. member. Then I can be as opinionated and cynical as edng!
12-08-2008, 03:33 AM
Send a message via AIM to superbad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post
That's good advice Superbad, however I'm working on a goal here. I think 4 or 5 more posts and I'll be a sr. member. Then I can be as opinionated and cynical as edng!
haha.. understood. please dont tell me youre the one who asked and created a thread regarding senior member. coz thatd be just SAD
12-08-2008, 03:38 AM
Nope not I but I'll have to check that one out!