★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Chess Tactics by Lockwood

06-02-2013, 06:37 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Chess Tactics by Lockwood

So there is finally an app that has an endless variety of user-generated chess problems that are rated. In some ways, its great, best chess tactics app on ios probably. However, it if baffling the heck out of me in another way. Specifically, I am rated in the 1800s on the program. For a while it was serving me nothing but 1400-1550 problems where I am expected to get 9 out of 10 correct. Boring! Now it is serving me nothing but 2300-2450 problems where I am getting 0 out of X correct.

I would prefer to get problems +/- 200 points of my level and get roughly 50% correct -- challenging but not brutal. Not sure if I am experience a bug, or if there is a hidden setting or what. I cant see any way to contact the company.

Anyone have any info on this?

Currently addicted to Clash Royale
06-02-2013, 06:42 AM

I'll pick it up and give it a go
06-02-2013, 07:59 AM
Its not nearly as good as chesstempo.com on the web, but chesstempo has steadfastly refused to fuss with an app. One big difference is the type of problems: chesstempo runs an algorithm on actual games to identify problems, and then uses user votes to eliminate the stinkers. Chess tactics by Lockwood relies on user submissions, then user votes to identify stinkers. So on Chess Tactics, users sometimes submit some clever looking but artificial problems that would never arise in a game, and they dont seem to get voted out.

But its the best I have seen on the IOS, hope you like it. And if you find some setting I missed (re OP), I'd be grateful.

06-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Wanted to note two things: first, the developer was able to fix my issue getting weird problem ratings on the server side after I emailed him. Second, after years of development, chesstempo.com has a beta website that is "mobile friendly." Well, somewhat mobile friendly.

So the choice is between the free Chess Tactics app, which works well on IOS and has an unlimited supply of problems of varying quality, and Chesstempo.com via the web, which is very superior to the Chess Tactics app in multiple ways on the PC, but just as you would expect is somewhat clunky on the "mobile friendly" beta web site. Both require a web connection to fetch problems.

I am going to give the edge to Chess Tactics on the iphone, as even a "mobile friendly" web site is a bit annoying. That said, you might prefer Chesstempo.com on the ipad, I havent tested it yet.

06-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNJ View Post
Wanted to note two things: first, the developer was able to fix my issue getting weird problem ratings on the server side after I emailed him. Second, after years of development, chesstempo.com has a beta website that is "mobile friendly." Well, somewhat mobile friendly.

So the choice is between the free Chess Tactics app, which works well on IOS and has an unlimited supply of problems of varying quality, and Chesstempo.com via the web, which is very superior to the Chess Tactics app in multiple ways on the PC, but just as you would expect is somewhat clunky on the "mobile friendly" beta web site. Both require a web connection to fetch problems.

I am going to give the edge to Chess Tactics on the iphone, as even a "mobile friendly" web site is a bit annoying. That said, you might prefer Chesstempo.com on the ipad, I havent tested it yet.
Chesstempo beta seems to work well, but the dragging doesn't actually register for some reason, only taps. I think if this app could incorporate other databases for problems, it would be good.