★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: The Plateau - out-of-this-world puzzle game in App Store

12-08-2008, 06:37 AM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
The Plateau - out-of-this-world puzzle game in App Store

Hello everybody,

My name is Piotr Gajos, I'm the art director at SpoonJuice. We have recently released "The Plateau" - a puzzle game for iPhone/iPod touch. Goal of the game is to untangle knots of orbs and glowing lines in distant space environment. There are two game modes - Challenge and Arcade. Second one includes a timer, which makes gameplay quite intense and stressful at times.

We are quite excited about this release, as the game looks great, music is addicting and we believe that gameplay is captivating.

I am posting here because we really want to hear from you guys - iPhone and iPod touch gamers. Feel free to check it out and do let us know what you think. Is it good? What should we improve? What would you like to see in future updates? Did it cause any problems for you?

Watch the video on our website

Get the full version in your local App Store

Get the Lite version

Last edited by Pe8er; 12-19-2008 at 11:05 AM. Reason: update
12-08-2008, 06:40 AM
The artwork looks awesome but what is it you actually do in this game?
If you want people to buy it, you have to tell sooner or later.

12-08-2008, 06:44 AM
Send a message via MSN to Paulio
this has a striking resemblance to UntangleManiak. Is this the same game with nice graphics (very nice graphics)?

After reading the review, I'm pretty certain this is the same game, but very polished. There is a free lite version of UntangleMania which I had, until I deleted it, but I would recommend this if you like this type of game. This one sure looks much, much awesomer :P.

Last edited by Paulio; 12-08-2008 at 06:48 AM.
12-08-2008, 06:48 AM
I forgot to add! There's a video on our website - check it out. Goal of the game is to untangle knots of orbs and glowing lines in space environment. The idea is not new although we believe we remade it with the best quality possible
12-08-2008, 06:50 AM
The prettier version of Untangle?
12-08-2008, 06:50 AM
I've purchased The Plateau last week and it's a well produced game with a nice menu system, graphics and sound. In resume, it's in an upper level of most of the $0.99 games.

I'd like to see a better Help, with a Tutorial alike instructions: a really simple level showing the steps to solve it and why it's considered solved. Of course, I understand what to do now but not at first.

The Arcade mode increases the replayability for sure but it lacks an online high score which I found it's a nice feature because it gives that competitive touch to the game.

It's an original and beautiful puzzle that gets harder due mainly the size of the screen.

4/5.
12-08-2008, 07:21 AM
Looks great. Bought it. Put it on the list of my washroom games

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
12-08-2008, 08:09 AM
I'm almost ready to buy this game - I just want to check something first...

In your game description in iTunes, you say that there are 50 levels, but then you also say that each level is dynamically generated with an advanced AI algorithm so each game is unique.
How can the two of those exist together?

Should I assume that in the first point above, ie: there being 50 levels, you mean that there are "50 levels of increasing difficulty"?
And that would also mean that every time you play a new game, the new level 1 will have a different layout to the previous game's level 1?

I love puzzle games, but I much prefer those with dynamically generated layouts over those with pre-set layouts...

• Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth • Parachute Panic • Chicken Raid
• Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox
12-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Brett,

I have replied to your email. I will paste it here so that everyone can see answers to your questions.

Each time you start a new game, level 1 will have a different layout. We set the game to have 50 levels, so that player has a sense of achieving something when they reach the final level. Theoretically we could implement an unlimited number of levels but there are certain technical limitations that didn't allow for it.

Apart of it gameplay is so engaging that you will never feel like playing the same thing twice
12-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Hi Pe8er,

I'm a big fan of UntangleManiak (I got lite, then full, then PuzzleManiak), but your game looks visually more appealing, and (more importantly) from the video looks smoother. I see you plan to have online scoring as a future update - could you tell me how this is likely to be implemented please?

The UM method of having a daily challenge with your online score being the total of your scores from the last 10 games works really well, since it means that a one off really lucky score doesn’t dominate the high score table for ever. That said, maybe you have an even better plan?

Also, is the $0.99 a permanent price, or a promo one?

Cheers,

James.