★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Solus Games
  • Genre: Music
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 47.7 MB
  • Version: 1.0
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: RadioTrek is the App Store's first and only Music Powered Runner.

RadioTrek creates a unique running experiences based on each music track that is loaded. The makes the possibilities endless and as varied as the music you load.

- Play 9 built-in music tracks
- Import music from your own iTunes library
- 3 Unique Power-Ups to pick up along your Trek through a song
- Customize your character with unique hats

Get RadioTrek now! Its Free!

Run through your music collection with RadioTrek for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch.
06-05-2013, 09:47 AM
RadioTrek uses mp3 songs kept in a folder labelled "songs". I will play around with it and see if I can add in my own. Impressions soon...

06-05-2013, 04:34 PM
I confirmed that you can in fact hack your own songs into the system very easily, simply insert your own mp3 file into the song file, remove the desired track from the default songs, and replace the name of the inserted track with that of the default track. I replaced the first track with the Canabalt "Run" theme and it works beautifully. I recommend simply modifying the original track name so that it can remain in the folder in case you want to restore it as the default music is very good.

As a runner it is pretty standard fare - a three lane runner with cosmetic upgrades and powerups. What I appreciate the most about this game is the style, it really does give you the sense of running through a retro visualizer synchronized to your music - and is even replete with one playing in the distance. The controls are adequate but not on par with most runners, primarily due to response time and what appears to be the absence of swipe cancellation and continuity although I will have to play more to confirm this. At the moment, though, it seems to require your runner to have both feet planted firmly on the ground before accepting another gesture. It took me just a few runs to get used to the idiosyncrasies and after that I didn't have any trouble although of course there is always room for improvement.

Overall, I am enjoying it quite a bit and suspect that it will stay on my device for a while. On a related note, this seems to provide more of the gaming element that was intended but lacking in the Synesthetic App, with the effect that it turned out more like an interactive visualizer. RadioTrek is unmistakably more of a game, which I appreciate.
06-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by retr0spective View Post
I confirmed that you can in fact hack your own songs into the system very easily
I don't get it. Why did you need to "hack" the songs into the game?

The screenshot and the description clearly state that you can "import your own music". So what's the deal?
06-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloko View Post
I don't get it. Why did you need to "hack" the songs into the game?

The screenshot and the description clearly state that you can "import your own music". So what's the deal?
From the TA Review:

"Another very big problem is that the price for importing a song is somewhat steep. You'll need to clear a stage three or four times to earn enough notes to import a song, and that wouldn't be so bad except that you can only have one song imported at any given time. If you import another song, the previous one is gone and if you want to play it again, you'll have to pay again. Moreover, if the App is completely closed at any point, even the one song you have imported will be cleared. Given the best part of the game is playing your own music, this is a major letdown."

Hacking your own music in can allow you to enjoy this aspect of the game without the hassle.
06-05-2013, 07:38 PM
I see... Gosh, what a terrible model.
Guess I won't even bother to download this, then. Doesn't seem to be worth the work.
06-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloko View Post
I see... Gosh, what a terrible model.
Guess I won't even bother to download this, then. Doesn't seem to be worth the work.
I would recommend it based on the default songs alone which are excellent in addition to being priced at free.. Of course, at your discretion.