★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: The Alchemists is an original boardgame designed for 2 - 4 players (ages 8 and above).

You play an alchemist of the kingdom. Your goal is to score the highest number of Victory Points by making potions.

Challenge your friends on the same iPad, or fight against the A.I. - up to 4 simultaneously !

APP FEATURES :
* available languages: english, français
* playing with 2 - 4 players, humans or bots.
* for your comfort of play, you can choose between the 'face to face' and the 'pass and play' modes.
* play on 4 maps, try the 11 events game cards, make 21 recipes, each with variable difficulty, and run after 3 magic items!
* complete game rules are of course included, and there is also an interactive tutorial that helps you to get started.

REVIEWS
* Touch Arcade - 4 stars - "If you're after something relaxing and a refreshing change from the plethora of endless runners (...) that are cluttering up your iPad, you could do a hell of a lot worse than Alchemists."

* Reviews on the Run - 9/10 - "Shaun and Marissa roll the dice in Alchemists"
06-07-2013, 04:06 AM
Limited time free boardgame, guys.
06-07-2013, 09:52 AM
It looks cool and is really a full clever board game (not some "free" game loaded with IAPs).

The gameplay, at least from my run through of the tutorial, seems interesting and straight forward. Your goal is to make the most valuable assortment of potions before the game ends. Each turn you can take one action (like move 1 space, gather ingredients, or make a potion). So the basic flow of gameplay is to gather the ingredients listed on one of your cards and then return back to the castle to make the potion. Not all potions are created equally as some are worth much more than others (usually based on the number of ingredients).

Back at the castle there are some other possible actions besides making potions like making gold, drawing a new potion recipe, purchasing an improvement (nifty tools you can get with the gold you've made to make your life a bit easier), or trading ingredients.

While out gathering supplies, if you roll the special icon, a random event will take place which I guess either takes place immediately or give you a card to use at some strategic point later.

While it might prove a silly strategy, since traveling to get ingredients can be pretty time consuming, there might be a point to gathering ingredients not even mentioned in any of your potion recipes at the moment just to be pre-prepared when that ingredient is called for in the future.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
OpenFeint, Plus+, & Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, Crystal, & iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
06-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Looks awesome. Will definitely check this out when I get home later today.

I'm guessing that the ingredients are randomly placed each game?
06-11-2013, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojoRisin View Post
Looks awesome. Will definitely check this out when I get home later today.

I'm guessing that the ingredients are randomly placed each game?
I don't think so but the potions you are tasked to make are randomly drawn.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
OpenFeint, Plus+, & Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, Crystal, & iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
06-11-2013, 03:38 AM
Exclamation: Dang! Miss the free part...

FAR: any chance to add async MP over GC?

Statement: Star Wars has 2 characters with strange use of grammar: Yoda and HK-47. I pick HK-47 for it is meaner.

“Honestly, I was never terribly good at games.” - Finch (PoI S2E16)