★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Can you puchase foreign Apps?

07-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Can you puchase foreign Apps?

Just curious if there is a way to purchase foreign Apps from other countries? I am in the United States and was wondering If I could buy something from say the UK app store? If so.... how?
07-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Register an account in that country. You can use same credit card info and just make up some address and phone number.

07-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Do I need a foreign version of itunes?
07-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviecouple View Post
Do I need a foreign version of itunes?
Nope. Just go to the front page of the iTunes Store and scroll down to the bottom, you can change what country store you are in there.

Games Uncovered / Twitter / YouTube
We are looking for reviewers to write at Games Uncovered. PM me if you are interested!
07-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviecouple View Post
Just curious if there is a way to purchase foreign Apps from other countries? I am in the United States and was wondering If I could buy something from say the UK app store? If so.... how?
Curious, while probably just a hypothetical example, have there ever been some decent apps in the UK store NOT available in the US? I mean I get it when dealing in foreign languages, like some German or Japanese game that the devs haven't bothered to localize to English, but have there been cases where another English speaking country has had an app that doesn't appear in the US store?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
07-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Don't think so, Apple is US-based so US and Canada's iTunes should have the most complete collection.
07-18-2009, 09:59 AM
So can we mix and match? Can I buy sething from Canada, and another game from the U.K.? Would new funds have to be added?

I guess you are technically setting up a new account at each location? Does it mess with apps you have already bought at other places ?

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
07-18-2009, 11:14 AM
I have US and Polish accounts in AppStore

apart from having to login twice (to US account and then to Polish) just to check if there are some updates, there is no problem at all - while syncing to iPhone there is no distinction if said app is from one or another AppStore

as for "not having something" - EDGE - it is constantly available in Polish (and other) AppStore but not in US

also there is a lot of games available in JP and HK AppStores not available anywhere else... other thing is that you must know japanese to be able to use it

also there is a few apps available in Polish AppStore not available in US (again those are in Polish)

iLike & iRecommend: Archibald's Adventures, Blimp, Bombardiers Guild, Boulder Dash - ROCKS!, Critter Crunch, Durak, Edge, Eliss, Fieldrunners, Flick Fishing, Flight Control, Galcon, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, Handy Jacks, Memovator, Quadrix, Rolando, Rolando 2, Smart Sokoban Pro, Squares, Space Miner, Totemo, Train Conductor
07-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by estyst View Post
also there is a few apps available in Polish AppStore not available in US (again those are in Polish)
There are actually quite a number of good Polish developers out there like Vivid, Spokko, and Digital Worlds just to name a few.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
07-18-2009, 01:51 PM
I don't think you can purchase paid apps from other country's itune store as you would need a credit card of that country.But for free apps it works like a charm