★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Game file saves on the iCloud

06-09-2013, 10:29 AM
#1
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
Game file saves on the iCloud

Hello to all , and thanks in advance

You will see , I have an iPad and have been playing several games , of course with the iCloud enabled and such

Well , then I bought an iTouch recently and to start using it , the system asked me if I wanted to start or use a backup from previous device , but I couldnt do it because that backup was made in different firmware

Well , I updated later as I tho there would be no problem to have back my saved games on the other unit

But now I find I cant , because when I go into the iCloud tab , I see that there is a copy of my iPad there , but I can not make use of it , I cant even get to see whats in

How do I do it ? I mean , how can I backup the save files from iPad so I can continue the games
06-09-2013, 10:37 AM
#2
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILILIP View Post
How do I do it ? I mean , how can I backup the save files from iPad so I can continue the games
The iCloud backup you're looking at is for backing up your whole device in case something happens to it or you replace it by upgrading to a newer model. It sounds as if you have both an iPad and an iPod touch, and simply want to share save files over iCloud. That is all done automatically behind the scenes and you should basically not have to do anything. However, not every game supports iCloud saving, and some that do require you to turn it on from the game settings, or have a special save slot for your cloud save.

06-09-2013, 10:40 AM
#3
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
The iCloud backup you're looking at is for backing up your whole device in case something happens to it or you replace it by upgrading to a newer model. It sounds as if you have both an iPad and an iPod touch, and simply want to share save files over iCloud. That is all done automatically behind the scenes and you should basically not have to do anything. However, not every game supports iCloud saving, and some that do require you to turn it on from the game settings, or have a special save slot for your cloud save.
Yes , all I want is to share save files between both devices

But for example , I downloaded Broken Sword and started the game , and only allows me to start new file , not from previous

Why is that
06-09-2013, 10:49 AM
#4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILILIP View Post
Yes , all I want is to share save files between both devices

But for example , I downloaded Broken Sword and started the game , and only allows me to start new file , not from previous

Why is that
Like he said, the game must support iCloud saves, like warhammer quest does. Also make sure documents and data is enabled in settings--iCloud.
06-09-2013, 10:51 AM
#5
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by somedumbgamer View Post
Like he said, the game must support iCloud saves, like warhammer quest does. Also make sure documents and data is enabled in settings--iCloud.
But how do I know whether each game does supports iCloud saving or not
06-09-2013, 11:19 AM
#6
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILILIP View Post
But how do I know whether each game does supports iCloud saving or not
There really should be a nice easy way, like there is with GC support (icon in the app details) but there isn't. Usually the description will tell you if it supports iCloud saving but not always. You can always email support for the specific game and ask them.
06-09-2013, 11:21 AM
#7
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
There really should be a nice easy way, like there is with GC support (icon in the app details) but there isn't. Usually the description will tell you if it supports iCloud saving but not always. You can always email support for the specific game and ask them.
Soes you think that Broken Sword does not support iCloud saving ? That would suck tho

I tried with Yesterday and nothing at all

But when I go to iCloud tab from iPad ( where all the save files are ) , it appears the file