Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-14-2013, 01:18 PM
iPad mini

Default Avadon 2: The Corruption (by Spiderweb Software)

Someone was asking about this game in another thread, and I realized it didn't have an upcoming thread yet, so I thought I'd start one.

You can read more about Avadon 2 on the developer's site, here:
http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avadon2/index.html
Find more screenshots here:
http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avadon2/shots.html

Some key points and screenshots:

It is scheduled for a Fall 2013 release (on iPad, Mac, and Windows)

Quote:
Avadon 2: The Corruption is the second chapter in the epic Avadon trilogy. In this fantasy role-playing adventure, you will serve the keep of Avadon, working as a spy and warrior to fight the enemies of your homeland.
Quote:
Huge adventure with lots of replay value. Experience with Avadon: The Black Fortress is entirely unnecessary to enjoy Avadon 2.
Update:
Official trailer is out!

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Av2Intro1200.jpg (464.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Av2Battle1200.jpg (735.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Av2Skills1200.jpg (673.9 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Royce; 09-08-2013 at 09:42 AM..
Old 06-15-2013, 09:10 AM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Will it be using the Avadon game engine or the Avernum one? Avadon 1's game engine was very slow with weird pauses...
Old 06-15-2013, 11:43 AM
iPad mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadisGreat View Post
Will it be using the Avadon game engine or the Avernum one? Avadon 1's game engine was very slow with weird pauses...
Afaik it's the same engine. Avadon just came out a year earlier and was Spiderweb's first iOS game, so I suppose the engine may have been improved and optimized for iOS before Avernum came out. That said I never had any weird pauses that I can remember.

On another note, there was a recent interview with the developer on a site called hardcore droid. He didn't say much about Avadon 2, basically this:

Quote:
One of the things Iíve worked hardest on in Avadon 2 is making the story and the adventuring blend together. I donít want a game where thereís a cutscene with a bit of plot and then a long stretch of just stabbing and then another little squib of plot. Iíve tried to set up the adventures so they involve constant contact with story elements, like, say, characters that travel with you. There are still the less interesting trash encounters from time to time, but I want a lot of the action to feel like itís directly pushing the story forward.

Thatís my goal, anyway. I hope to succeed.
But the rest of the interview is worth reading anyway. He touches on his game design in general, inspirations, piracy, his old fashioned monetization model, and a few other things.

http://www.hardcoredroid.com/jeff-vogel-interview/
Old 06-15-2013, 09:05 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Shuteth thee up and taketh thine money!!!
Old 06-18-2013, 12:52 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Really looking forward to ot, nice to see an ETA.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:47 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Yeah, the original Avadon release had occasional slowdowns due to an autosave feature, I think. They got patched later.

I'm ashamed to say I never did get around to finishing Avadon. Looks like I've got the summer to do it, and try not to get distracted by Baldur's Gate, or Final Fantasy Tactics, or KOTOR, or XCOM, or *head explodes*.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:14 PM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousringo View Post
Yeah, the original Avadon release had occasional slowdowns due to an autosave feature, I think. They got patched later.

I'm ashamed to say I never did get around to finishing Avadon. Looks like I've got the summer to do it, and try not to get distracted by Baldur's Gate, or Final Fantasy Tactics, or KOTOR, or XCOM, or *head explodes*.
While there was a patch, it did not seem to have solved the slowdown issue and just added auto rotation, as far as I could see. That was around the time Avernum: Escape from the Pit was released on iPad.

After completing Avernum 1, I returned to Avadon and it still had slowdown...
Old 09-08-2013, 09:43 AM
iPad mini

Spiderweb released a trailer last week. I've added it to the first post.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:45 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Snap! +1 for yet another lapsed RPG gamer who has yet to finish Avadon. I'm around 3/4 of the way through, but have been side-swiped by a number of other RPGs; more recently, board-games.

What I really like about the SpiderWeb Software interviews that I have read is that Jeff Vogel is old-school in terms of values i.e. his attitude to monetization and piracy, yet believes - as I do - that beneath the thin Monty Haul veneer of RPGs (phat lewt), story-telling, narrative, characterisation and [moral] choices are all important concepts.

I was pleased that amongst his favourite RPGs sits Mass Effect. As I played Mass Effect, I often thought back to how such choices were implemented in Avadon. One of the aspects that I really enjoyed playing Avadon was that the moral choices were not clear, rigid black and white ones, but often hues of grey that perfectly fitted the setting in Avadon.

If I could have one wish for SpiderWeb Software, it would be for sales to justify improving the aural effects e.g. ambient sound based upon location.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:33 AM
iPad mini

Looks like this should be coming out this month