★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Billy Bob - picross game (FREE)

07-19-2009, 01:33 AM
Billy Bob - picross game (FREE)

itunes link - FREE

Billy Bob

Billy Bob is in love with Oprah. Not Oprah off the telly! Oprah from down the road, unfortunately for Billy he's very shy. Help fashion him some friends so he can practice the art of conversation, maybe then he'll be able to speak to the beautiful goddess that is Oprah Morgen Megan Smith.

Surely to goodness that's the best excuse you've ever heard for a Picross port!

Imagine the late 80's, a simpler time when we didn't ask for much from our games. A time when "Wow, this is so cool" could be applied to the half hour wait for the cassette to finish loading the game. Now that you're there mentally, play Billy Bob. Wow! The gfx! The imagining of sound! It's the best game I've ever seen with my young eyes!

07-19-2009, 01:39 AM
huh?? I don't follow any of this

07-19-2009, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleceiffel View Post
huh?? I don't follow any of this
yeah, the description is spaced out
07-19-2009, 03:42 AM
Ummm....
Yeah...

I does likes me a good picross game though :P

Flangle Flangle Flangle Play No More!
07-19-2009, 03:44 AM
It's a puzzle game. The numbers tell you how many blocks should have a fill opposed to left blank. for example 1 2 1 next to a line would mean that this line has 1 colored block followed by at least one white space, then 2 colored blocks, white space and another colored block. the first colored block might be the first in the row or one further down. the fun is to figure out where the colored blocks go and what stays white. once you finished the puzzle you end up with a picture. This game is quit popular in Japan. Used to be a pen and paper thing but has also seen releases i.e. for DS. see -> Nonogram

As for Billy Bob I like the simple style which fits the game. Alas the gameplay is a clear miss. While in Picross everything is about figuring out which blocks to fill, Billy Bob gives you the answer right away. If you select a block it either becomes black (correct choice) or peach (wrong choice). So the whole riddle aspect is lost. Since the blocks are tiny and there is no zoom it's easy to make accidental selections. The most fun aspect of the game are probably the quotes on the start screen which change when taping Billy Bob... :-/
not recommended.
07-19-2009, 03:47 AM
well that's not good at all if it is essentially solving the puzzle for you
07-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilishly Good View Post
well that's not good at all if it is essentially solving the puzzle for you
With all due respect to drone9, I didn't have a negative reaction to this feature at all. In some Picross games, when you press an incorrect tile, you are penalized for it. This will eventually result in game over, before the puzzle is solved. This game simply marks a wrong move, but without the annoying penalty. I'll leave my impressions of the game later, but I wanted to address this point.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL