★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Letter Hunter - A Word Puzzle

07-19-2009, 09:06 AM
Letter Hunter - A Word Puzzle

Hi all,

My name is Felipe Oliveira, I'm a indie game developer.

I'm very proud of announce my new game, Letter Hunter.

Letter Hunter is a nice word game that will bring a lot of fun and improve your english vocabulary.

The objective of this game is to create as many words as possible using the given letters.
Each letter has a corresponding number of points. For each correct word, you earn the sum of all the points in that word. Two additional seconds are added to the timer for each correct word.

Be careful with wrong words, they take points off of your score.

Pay attention to the clock, the game ends when the time is over!
An useful hint: if you can't create new words using the current letters, just shake the device to get a new batch of letters.

Letter Hunter can be purchased through iTunes for $0.99 at

I have some promo-codes to promote the game, Let me know if you want to try to the game and make a honest review

Felipe Oliveira Games
07-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the code Felipe!

I'm interested to compare this to wurdle and word-fu, both of which I really like. I'll post impressions later on.

07-19-2009, 10:26 AM
I had a chance to play for a few minutes and wanted to share my impressions. The game is basically a word build game where you build words by choosing letters from the board. You earn a certain number of points based on the score on the tile. The bigger the word, the better your score.

To add some urgency to the game, a counter times down until it runs out. By building words as fast as you can, you can increase your time.

As you clear off letters, new ones fill their place. If you are stuck, shack the device for new letters.

The presentation is clean with attractive drawn graphics. The sound is nice, but I honestly switched off the music after 5 minutes. It would be nice to include the option for your own music to be played.

As far as gameplay, I initially started playing with the thought that you had to create words by selecting only letters adjacent to the letter you selected first. This offered a nice challenge since the clock was ticking down and at later points, I was frantically putting words together a my timer bar was red. However, I discovered by accident in my panic that you can actually select any letter regardless of where they are on the board. This made things significantly more easy and honestly, wasn't as fun. I liked the sense of urgency and that added to the challenge. Maybe the developer can create 2 modes- the version that is out now could be easy and an update where selected letters must touch to be a challenge mode?

Overall, I love word games and enjoying this one so far. It's a combination of Scrabble, Bejeweled and other word build games all wrapped in one. I'll post later with a more in depth play to see if my opinion changes.

Gamecenter: MicroByte
Jetpack Joyride: all 125 medals :: Golden Tophat winner :: Special Half-Brick Prize
Playing: Sonic Racing Transformed | Giant Boulder of Death | Dead Trigger 2 | Jetpack Joyride
07-19-2009, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the reply, I really liked the idea of the hard mode. It is now on my TODO list for the next version. Thanks a lot!

Felipe Oliveira Games
07-19-2009, 01:05 PM
ok, I've played a few times now. It's a good first version. I was expecting a wurdle clone, but it's a little different- because of the way the words can be formed from letters anywhere on the grid. And the letters disappear after they are used.

the graphics are nice, and the music is also good, but I agree that it is a bit repetitive.

I also found it a little easy, since you can spam 3 letter words to build your timer back up. Although I will admit I did really enjoy it when my timer got to like 3 seconds and I quickly hit a big string of words and built it back up to 45.

I liked that feeling of tension, and I agree with MicroByte that it would be nice to have some more difficulty. I have some different suggestions as to how it could be done:

- Limit the number of whole board tile resets, or impose a time penalty when it's done. Or only reset a percentage of the board. I could just shake, hit like 4 3 letter words, then shake again- I was never in danger of dying.

- add an option to restrict minimum word length- If you had to make 4 or 5-letter words or longer, it would be significantly harder.

- add an option for setting the initial timer lower (or higher)

- maybe speed up the music or play some different music once the timer enters the red zone- to add to the tension.

- I'd also like a play your own music option.

- another idea for the sake of variety would be to have some letters be a different color (you could have them on autumn leaves or flowers, for instance- could give it some more visual spark), and have them last for more than one use (and maybe their point value increases or decreases with additional uses).

It's a good start, I look forward to updates- with some more play options, it could be really good!

Thanks again for the code!
07-19-2009, 01:50 PM
I'd have to agree, its a little too easy. Overall, not a bad bad and quite enjoyable. Penalty should be time and score, as its too easy to play almost forever.

The shakes should probably be earned instead if unlimited.

The biggest thing for me, would be to either double/triple tap to submit words, and again either click letter again to be able to deselect it instead of going up top to do it. A clear word would be nice as well.

A definate keeper for now and hopefully you can tweak it to give it more of a challenge.

07-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Count me in for a review(well not exactly me but wifey . She is much more into word games then me)
07-19-2009, 03:21 PM
I agree, great suggestions. I have been playing for a while and had one game last for almost an hour because it's easy to get the timer back up. In addition to the comments above, maybe you can add level goals to get x number of points and then speed up or reduce the number of seconds in the timer so that as you progress, you get less time per round.

Gamecenter: MicroByte
Jetpack Joyride: all 125 medals :: Golden Tophat winner :: Special Half-Brick Prize
Playing: Sonic Racing Transformed | Giant Boulder of Death | Dead Trigger 2 | Jetpack Joyride
07-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Some intial impressions. App has a very polished feel to it. I love the "fade" of the intro screeni nto the menu - nice touch. Key sounds are fun and different unlike the normal clicks sounds. I think it adds. Having the letter blocks all look ilke leaves is also enriching to the app. Design wise - very nice.
Has proper pause and resume. I liked the background music actually quite a lot with headphones. I think that a lot of the bass is lost through the iPhone speakers, and that really makes a difference with the sounds that you chose.

Playing I think that I agree with the comments above. It is fun to spell out lots of words and watch your score go up and up, but the game end is more limited by the players decision then because of some increased difficulty. I am not sure which of the suggestions above that I like for increased difficulty, but you probably want something. Overall - Trust your instincts Felipe - you have a very nice polished app that needs some tweaking, but I think will overall be in the competitive mix of popular word games. I'll post more comments in a couple of days.

Don't know if mlkaufman, carlos-sz, or big-albie got a chance to try -but they are big word game nuts that I can tell from posts in the forums, and would also have some great comments I'm sure.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
07-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Hi guys
Those ideas are greate! I'm already working in a hard mode for the game using some of the ideas. I really appreciate the tips, you guys are amazing.

Despite the game be too easy, the public response was fantastic: the game was released today (7/19/09) and it is already on the top #62 in USA 'Games/Word' category. Also it is doing good in another countries (United Kingdom: 62, Osterreich: 15 and Australia: 35)

I think the hard mode will only help the game.
Thank you guys a lot!

Felipe Oliveira Games