★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: RETRO GAMING FUN FOR EVERYONE!

RETRO POCKET brings back the nostalgia with these retro throwbacks to the early days of handheld gaming!

Based on the classic LCD toy line from the likes of Nintendo and Tiger Electronics, these games take you back to when gaming was portable, simple, wickedly entertaining and hard!

Walk down memory lane with Jack, the everyday man, and his family on their crazy adventures as they travel the globe, one RETRO POCKET game at a time.
Choose from 8 different games including, Fireman, Egg Drop, Kung Fu, Watch Your Head, Candy Factory, Fuel Drop, Postman and Escape from Whale.

FEATURES:
* Gaming in its purest form simple, addictive, endless and fun!
* A faithful recreation of vintage handheld technology using pre-printed graphics. What you see if what you get!
* Game Modes A & B Just like the originals, there are 2 variations to each game, with B Modes being a bit tougher.
* Original chip-tune soundtrack!

RETRO POCKET: ESCAPE FROM WHALE
Baby Simon is trapped inside the whale! Gear up, watch out for pesky birds and bring him home!
06-19-2013, 07:19 AM
That's also a worldwide release

06-19-2013, 07:22 AM
So we get 8 games for $1 or are they just available through IAP?

Game Center: sink_or_swim
06-19-2013, 07:30 AM
I love stuff like this !

Downloading now, i remember being a kid seeing these types of games for the first time which was amazing back then.

Looking for 'retro pocket' on the app store they're all seperate apps. Must admit i'm going to buy most of them, they've gone for the right black/white look for the game rather than made it colour etc

Cant believe i havent found these before, just downloading 'retro pocket Fireman' which is free.

Kids ! This is what us oldies had to play on in the early early 80's and they often cost $30 or more for one of these small handhelds. You dont realise how lucky you are with iOS devices and games costing a dollar !

Last edited by psj3809; 06-19-2013 at 07:34 AM.
06-19-2013, 07:56 AM
Nice, I love game & watch style games!

...if you love too check Thriller mansion by Wataru Nakano and also BQLSI Star Laser by Gomeisa Electronics!!

Last edited by dexter77; 06-19-2013 at 08:05 AM.
06-19-2013, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter77 View Post
Yeah just bought all of them. Theyre the best ones i've seen. They're even featured in the Nintendo shop for the DS (http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail...OgXVcqbotLAQR9) so if Nintendo approved this they must be very happy with them.

Tried a few so far and they're great
06-19-2013, 09:00 AM
Quote:

...if you love too check Thriller mansion by Wataru Nakano and also BQLSI Star Laser by Gomeisa Electronics!!
Thanks for those recommendations! Don't forget about Monkey Labour by Dawn of Play.
06-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C83 View Post
Thanks for those recommendations! Don't forget about Monkey Labour by Dawn of Play.
Your welcome!

just downloading Monkey Labour and by the way, if you write on the store the word "game & watch" you'll discover lots of games like this, there's a Russian guy called Dmitrij Pavlov that alone has made at least 10 games with the same concept...just for the records!

...personally i find BQLSI Star Laser and Thriller mansion the best over the rest, 100% made in Japan products!
06-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Quote:
...personally i find BQLSI Star Laser and Thriller mansion the best over the rest, 100% made in Japan products!
THANKYOU ! I've been looking for AGES for a proper retro game like that, in England they were made by Grandstand, so you might have at Xmas a tabletop space invaders or scramble type game. I was hoping there would be games like this on the app store but no.

I've found a few Pocket Mate type games, those were the non-battery small handheld games you had as a kid (In England we called them Pocketeers), the LCD games such as Retro Pocket are great.

But Star Laser is superb !! I wish there were more like this, if you find any let me know !
06-19-2013, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
THANKYOU ! I've been looking for AGES for a proper retro game like that, in England they were made by Grandstand, so you might have at Xmas a tabletop space invaders or scramble type game. I was hoping there would be games like this on the app store but no.

I've found a few Pocket Mate type games, those were the non-battery small handheld games you had as a kid (In England we called them Pocketeers), the LCD games such as Retro Pocket are great.

But Star Laser is superb !! I wish there were more like this, if you find any let me know !
Happy to see that sometimes i can give some contribution to this forum, i'm glad that you finally found the cherry in the pie, i'm wondering why Tomy electronics doesn't port their huge catalogue of tabletops like Tron, Alien Chase, Puck Man, Lupin and so on...also Takara, Bandai and Coleco have their respective cult tabletops too, i used to collect them all but at the end i found a crazy guy who bought everything for a terrific price...useless to say
that now i regret that decision, there's no counting price for memories...amen!

PS
Don't worry, i'll let you know if something else will pop up on my radar!

Last edited by dexter77; 06-19-2013 at 01:41 PM.