★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Wyrmhunter

07-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Wyrmhunter

Price$0.99/59p

It's out there in some dark tunnel, waiting for you. Your scanner goes crazy - it's close, but which direction? You'll only have enough time for one shot before it comes raging out of its lair. You backtrack and scan again from another chamber, hoping to triangulate its location. Out of options, you charge your rifle and take your shot, praying you guessed right. Either it's dead... or YOU are!

OVERVIEW
Plasmaworks proudly presents "Wyrmhunter", a fun and engaging game in the spirit of the classic "Hunt the Wumpus".

Named after the dragons of myth and legend, the wyrms infesting the asteroid belts have given mankind our greatest achievement - but they may also be our greatest threat. Step into the role of Averu, a young Wyrmhunter with something to prove. He's been trained by the best but it will take all his skills and instincts to save humanity.

FEATURES
- A story-driven Campaign.
- Quick Play and fully customizable Free Play modes.
- Randomized tunnels and dangers allow maximum replayablity.
- An original music score and atmospheric sound effects.
- A game of logical deduction, strategy, and a bit of luck.

Put your problem-solving abilities and nerves to the test!

TIPS
Wyrmhunting takes a little getting used to! Here's some strategies to help your first wyrmhunt go smoothly.
- It's a bit like "Minesweeper" in a maze.
- When the screen flashes red the wyrm is near.
- You need to shoot it, but you have to take your time and figure out the correct room to shoot into.
- Usually there will be several adjacent rooms you haven't explored - it could be in any one of them.
- Say the adjacent rooms the wyrm might be in are "C" and "D". Avoid both rooms, walk around the rest of the level, and find another room that connects to "C" but not to "D".
- At that point if you see the red flashing again you know the wyrm is in "C" and you should shoot into "C".
- If you don't see the flashing then you know the wyrm was in "D". You should find "D" again and shoot into it.
- That's it - good hunting!

07-20-2009, 04:23 PM
They describe this as "minesweeper in a maze", but to me it honestly sounds a lot like the old game Hunt The Wumpus. I might just have to give it a try.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre

07-20-2009, 04:25 PM
looks pretty tempting be checking it out soon
07-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Blimey... Wumpus... you must be nearly as old as me!

Jamie
07-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointOfLight View Post
They describe this as "minesweeper in a maze", but to me it honestly sounds a lot like the old game Hunt The Wumpus. I might just have to give it a try.
It actually says in the description above that it was inspired by Hunt The Wumpus.
07-20-2009, 04:38 PM
It's actually similar to Hunt The Wumpus. The campaign has 18 levels each with a cut scene intro and each unlocked when you kill the Wyrm in the previous level. The objective is to travel through a network of underground caverns to see how long you survive. Whenever you travel to a new room, a new series of rooms appear which you can travel to by tapping.

At the top of the screen are proximity alerts for Wryms but also for radiation wormholes. When you get near something to set off a proximity alert, you’ll need to guess which room may be the issue and steer clear. In the case of a Wyrm, the screen blinks red. In that case, you can either backtrack and steer clear or fire a shot into whatever room you think it’s in. The problem is that you only have a limited number of shots, and when you miss, the Wrym will move to another room and in some cases back to the same room, you just fired into. The wormholes will automatically transport you to another room sometimes into one with a Wrym so those are risky. Also, there are blackholes which will instantly wipe you out. There is also a free play mode with no story and quick play mode which is a one-off game.

My main suggestion for the game is to add more variety to the defeat and victory scenes. It’s basically two recycled scenes right now and while it doesn’t impact gameplay, variety is always a good thing. Also, even though the game takes place on asteroids, it would make sense to change the backgrounds especially with different textures or tones. For the most part, most of the backgrounds can be somewhat monotonous.

It's a very decent game for what it is.

Last edited by Big Albie; 07-20-2009 at 04:53 PM.
07-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmanj View Post
Blimey... Wumpus... you must be nearly as old as me!

Jamie
That all depends on how old you really are

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
It actually says in the description above that it was inspired by Hunt The Wumpus.
My bad I actually glossed over that line in the description the first time (actually, for that matter, I didn't read very much of the description at all).

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
07-20-2009, 09:42 PM
I smell a wumpus
07-20-2009, 10:10 PM
I for one am downloading it

I played the hell out of Hunt the Wumpus on a TI-99!

Hmmmm.... That was in Second Grade...about 1981 or 1982...

God I'm getting old

Flangle Flangle Flangle Play No More!
07-23-2009, 04:02 PM
I checked it out and it's like a much better version of Hunt the Wumpus, very entertaining.